Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200634 - 04/02/18 08:22 AM Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+...
willie1280 Offline

Managed to score a 20% off deal on a brand new Garmin (not Delorme) inReach Explorer + last week for my upcoming trip Alaska! I wish i could say more about it other than i love the orange color.

Right now i'm stuck trying to activate the darn thing.
When you first turn it on you have to pick the language. Then it tells you to go to Garmin's site and register it. But this is where things fall apart. As your registering it, you get to a section about the service plans. Well, i don't want a service plan yet because i don't need the SOS or texting feature just yet. But there's no option around this...they want you to pick a plan. So i aborted this, but the device will not activate.

Since it was a holiday weekend no one was available at Garmin.
Hopefully i'll get ahold of them today. Curious if anyone knows the way around this?

#200635 - 04/02/18 10:22 AM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: willie1280]
willie1280 Offline

I finally heard back from Garmin. Here's some valuable info if you purchase this device as i have yet to find this info anywhere online.

The firmware that was shipped on my device basically forces you to sign up for a plan. The cheapest Freedom plan is $15 a month plus the yearly $25 plan activation fee. If your going to do an annual plan it's $12 a month for the cheapest plan and $20 activation fee, but you must keep it for a year (no refunds if you cancel early). For my scenario, i don't need any of the SOS or texting features right now. I just want to be able to use it like a GPS until my trip.

So, to get around paying for a plan just to use the basic features you need to follow these steps:
-Visit https://inreach.garmin.com (make sure your logged out)
-In the middle of the page there is text with a link in it. The text says"If you do not have an account yet, update your inReach SE+ or inReach Explorer+ here." Click that.
-On the next page click the link to download the sync software based on the system you have.
-Once the download is done, install it.
-Click OK if it says the sync software needs to update (mine did).
-Now hook your inreach up to your computer with the USB cable. It should instantly recognize it and perform an update.
-Once it updates and your unit reboots you will see a new home screen on the device. You will now have the option to SKIP activation and use the device like a normal GPS. You will also be able to sync you Earthmate app and use those features as well.

#200636 - 04/02/18 11:27 AM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: willie1280]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
With a map, all you have to do is fold it. smile (OK, you knew SOMEBODY was going to say it; I just thought I’d end the suspense.)

Thanks for getting that extra information. I’m sure you’re not the only one who has this problem.

#200639 - 04/02/18 01:10 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
willie1280 Offline

I wish i could just take a paper map. Would save me a decent amount of weight and not to mention the money i spent on the darn thing! But my wife insisted that I have a SOS device since i'll be solo'ing in Alaska. It's alot easier to buy toys like these when you've got the wifes approval smile

Since i already had a Garmin GPSmaps device, i'll likely sell this unit when i return.

#200641 - 04/02/18 02:38 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: willie1280]

Let us know how you accomplished the wife-approval thing - THAT’s important information that many of us could really use!

#200644 - 04/02/18 03:50 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I carry an ACR ResQLink solely to keep my grown children off my back--a psychological weight saving. I figure the 5.6 ounces are worth it. At least registration (with NOAA) is free!

It's amazing how one's children, once they've grown up, start acting like their parents' parents! And how they want to enlist neighbors, church, etc., to keep watch on me and notify them should I not appear at regular intervals. Those are the same children who don't bother to contact me for months on end, and think that "keeping in touch" is a 3-word email.

Sorry, rant over!

#200646 - 04/02/18 05:00 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: willie1280]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Make sure you de-register it before selling it, or the person you sell it to won't be able to activate it.

#200647 - 04/02/18 05:04 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: willie1280]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
"The cheapest Freedom plan is $15 a month plus the yearly $25 plan activation fee."

True, but the nice thing about the Freedom plans is that, after your first 30 days, you can suspend the plan for a month at a time (consecutive months if you so desire) and not pay anything during those months, then turn the plan back on if you're going out (minimum of 30 days on). So you can just turn the plan 'off' for the winter if you don't backpack during the winter, and then turn it back on for your backpacking season.

#200649 - 04/02/18 06:01 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
OM, I know exactly how you feel. I’m being parented by my son, my daughter-in-law, my granddaughter, my sister, both brothers-in-law and both of my nephews. When I announced that I’m hiking the JMT this summer I was solemnly advised that I shouldn’t be tackling such an adventure “at your age” by several of the kinfolk. I’m holding firm in my intent but have promised that, as usual, I’ll have my Inreach along. My wife and I are now viewed as “the old folks”. This has a few advantages but not enough to balance the downside. I just grit my teeth and keep my mouth shut even when I’m told that I’m “a stubborn old coot”. Life goes on smile. Rant over here too!

#200651 - 04/02/18 08:09 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: OregonMouse]

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. (Kids are in Atlanta and Chicago.) The grandkids “scold” me because I don’t use abbreviations in my texts, to which I respond, “I think in complete thoughts, therefore I write in complete sentences.”

I tend to ignore the infrequent attempts to “look out” for me. They occasionally ask if I’ve fallen, and I answer honestly: Yes, every six months or so. “What did you do?” I stood back up.

I’m rapidly gaining curmudgeon status, and find that there are advantages! smile

#200653 - 04/02/18 10:56 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I refuse to text at all, to the disappointment of my kids. But they accept my eccentricity.

I am still holding out because I think the PLB plus plans are just too expensive. If you can buy a cell phone that does all that the I-phone with a decent camera to boot, why does a PLB with a handfull of functions cost $500?

#200655 - 04/02/18 11:16 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The ACR ResQLink costs about $250 and registration is free. It's also much more reliable in case of emergency, since it uses the Dept. of Defense satellite network instead of a private network.

Of course you can't send "I'm fine" messages with it, which is just fine with me! lol

Edited by OregonMouse (04/02/18 11:16 PM)

#200661 - 04/03/18 07:14 AM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We hike as a couple, so it's a bit different. But we also spend a lot of time off trail--not ideal if something goes wrong. We're looking at getting one of these units, if only to keep the younger generation at bay.

But they still make fun of my emails and texts. And my hiking clothes. And my Facebook page...

It's a long list

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#200662 - 04/03/18 08:34 AM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: JustWalking]
willie1280 Offline

Originally Posted By JustWalking
"The cheapest Freedom plan is $15 a month plus the yearly $25 plan activation fee."

True, but the nice thing about the Freedom plans is that, after your first 30 days, you can suspend the plan for a month at a time (consecutive months if you so desire) and not pay anything during those months, then turn the plan back on if you're going out (minimum of 30 days on). So you can just turn the plan 'off' for the winter if you don't backpack during the winter, and then turn it back on for your backpacking season.

Totally understand and agree. However it just doesn't seem right i should have to buy a plan just to get everything setup and sync'd to my online account.

#201096 - 06/04/18 04:21 PM Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer+... [Re: willie1280]
troutstalker Offline

Loc: CO
Thank you for posting this information, as I'm currently looking into purchasing this same device.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum