Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197512 - 01/24/17 02:05 PM Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required?
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I don't know about anyone else, but I seem to sleep colder the last couple years, needing to sleep in long underwear, shirt. Too bad I have some nice bags, can use my WM Caribou bag for car camping and then use a EE quilt I have for bping. 63 now, retired 10 months. Also, being outside most days, seems colder these days.
Duane

#197519 - 01/24/17 11:23 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: hikerduane]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've noticed that too - I suspect they've cheaped down the bags, don't you? smile

Actually, for about the last 5 years (I'm 67, soon to make the conversion to Fletcherheit, for all you fans of Colin) I've been cancelling trips in weather where the overnight temperature is predicted to be below 25. I just don't enjoy it the way I used to - particularly the sitting around in a chilly camp before bed. (I've partly solved that problem: I use the Thermarest bags that attach to the pads; put the pad with bag in a chair kit with the foot extended rather than doubled under like the instructions say, and it can be pretty cozy sitting.)

Perversely, I find that spring, summer, and fall hiking in an all-day rain, and making camp in the rain doesn't bother me the way it used to. Go figure.

#197521 - 01/25/17 12:19 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
hikerduane Offline

I won't start in a rain, but will be if it is supposed to rain. Some. Temps after about 3 o'clock seem to hit home in a hurry. I've been out already this winter in mid 20s, going out tomorrow, should be in the teens. Going solo, not much to do around camp, so last trip I started late afternoon and paid for it by fixing dinner with my headlight, no big deal, only 530 by then. The group I used to do trips with seem to have dispersed some or do fewer BP trips. Need to find fresh blood. Hope to get another dog this Spring, company really helps.
Duane

#197524 - 01/26/17 09:45 AM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: hikerduane]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
i guess none of you live in Houston lol

#197535 - 01/29/17 03:46 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: toddfw2003]
antique41 Offline

Loc: NE Ga
It may be age. I notice that after my quad by pass, I can't tolerate cold as well as I have in the past. Almost froze at 30 degrees in Virginia last year using a Marmot Pounder Plus. Am hunting a warmer bag for this year. Am 76.

#197607 - 02/07/17 11:15 AM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: antique41]
hikerduane Offline

Even washing my hands at home with well water, gets me now. I don't know if I'll be able to handle dip's in a creek or lake in Oct anymore in the Sierra.
Duane

#197630 - 02/08/17 12:55 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: hikerduane]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Rather than buying a new bag, you could consider getting a summer-weight down quilt and just layer that over your existing bag. As a bonus, then you have just the quilt for some activities; can be comfy to use even at home. I keep mine in my emergency "if an earthquake or something bad happens" kit as a light and low volume "better than nothing" sleeping bag, but can pull it out for warm summer trips or to layer with my 20 degree bag for winter trips.

Just have to make sure the light quilt is sized large enough that it can connect and stay in place over your existing sleeping bag in a way that allows the latter to still fully loft.

#197635 - 02/08/17 06:47 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: BrianLe]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
maybe you should try looking at a warmer sleeping pad. that would make a huge difference. to be cheap you can put reflectix on top of your existing sleeping pad or something like a Neoair Xtherm

#198097 - 04/09/17 07:33 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: toddfw2003]
hikerduane Offline

I have a Xtherm which I use with Gossamer Gear sit pad and torso length closed cell pad. My usual winter bag may just need to be washed, not sure when I last washed it if ever. I use a silk liner also and go to bed more often now with more clothes on. Just got a pup, so should be warmer now.
Duane

#199686 - 12/04/17 08:50 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts

Actually, for about the last 5 years (I'm 67...) I've been cancelling trips in weather where the overnight temperature is predicted to be below 25. I just don't enjoy it the way I used to - particularly the sitting around in a chilly camp before bed.

Perversely, I find that spring, summer, and fall hiking in an all-day rain, and making camp in the rain doesn't bother me the way it used to.

Long ago I decided that hiking/camping/backpacking/outdoor activities is not or should not be an exercise in what you can tolerate. I do outdoor activities to enjoy myself, not to congratulate myself on what horrendous conditions I can survive.
If really bad weather is predicted, I do not go. Period. Occasional showers are OK, gale force winds are not. Soaking rain for days is not. Major storms are not. Chilly at night is OK, record cold and freezing rain is not. I do not start out if anything more than a shower is taking place.
I enjoy myself more when I do not have to huddle in a sleeping bag after having a hot drink to maintain body temperatures. I like to socialize (obviously when I have a companion) rather than wrap myself in every piece of clothing I own and close my bag. Evening trips to the bush are less unpleasant when you are not shivering.
This is just my choice, it does not have to be yours.

Edited by EMT Dave (12/05/17 08:49 PM)

#199700 - 12/05/17 03:04 AM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: EMT Dave]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Well said; I couldn’t agree more.

#199707 - 12/05/17 01:52 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: EMT Dave]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Of course if you are going ot on a more extended trip, such as a week or more, you need to be prepared (with both skills and gear) to cope with a major storm, particularly if you're at high altitude. Weather forecasting isn't much good that far out, especially in the mountains which often make their own weather.

#199708 - 12/05/17 04:55 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: hikerduane]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have been a cold sleeper my entire life. Not any worse with age. This winter, at home, after nudging from my daughter, I have started using a hot water bottle in bed. It mainly warms up the bed. Otherwise the cold sheets just suck the heat from me and it takes me hours to get warm. A similar thing happens in a sleeping bag. FIRST, you have to warm the sleeping bag with your body heat, THEN it insulates against cold. If it sucks the heat from you, then it is really hard to recover the body heat. I have hesitated using a hot water bottle because of the horrible consequence of what happens if it leaks. I am now inclined to think it just may work, at least if I keep the bottle upright and use it to warm the bag, then take it out. If you carry a dry-bag you could also put the hot water bottle inside for a back-up. And, by morning, the water would be body heat temperature or a bit less, but much warmer than a bottle sitting out, so you would use less fuel for breakfast. Just a thought.

#199710 - 12/05/17 05:30 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: wandering_daisy]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Consider just wearing more/warmer clothes to sleep in --whether you do the hot water bottle trick or not.
I've been bringing insulated clothes that I can sleep in because I don't like to take off my warm clothes before bed and then warm them back up in the morning. For instance, I specifically got down booties that have a cover that I can slip on to make the nearly inevitable trip to the bushes overnight, so I don't have to lose that warmth.
I'll be bringing warm clothes for evening and morning anyway, so I use them to supplement the sleep system. It's easier for me to vent my quilt to shed heat than to bring a heavier quilt.

#199716 - 12/05/17 08:52 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: OregonMouse]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Of course if you are going ot on a more extended trip, such as a week or more, you need to be prepared (with both skills and gear) to cope with a major storm, particularly if you're at high altitude. Weather forecasting isn't much good that far out, especially in the mountains which often make their own weather.

Obviously. I over prep in any case, but even when I was 20 I could not pry loose enough free days to be out for a week. These days I am lucky to get two nights in a row. Someday I hope to do an awesome four nights!

#200096 - 01/21/18 08:57 PM Re: Warmer quilt/sleeping bag required? [Re: EMT Dave]
DavidP2211 Offline

My first post as a member on this board. Glad to see there are a bunch of other creaky old outdoor types here. I am 57 and camped this weekend in Western PA where the temp was about 25.

So far - I haven't noticed much difference in my ability to withstand cold with the exception that my hands get cold when it gets into the teens. I never had issues in my 40's but realized about five years ago I was putting hand warmers in my gloves if I was outside for extended periods. Otherwise, it was a really painful warmup process.

I am guessing as I add a few more years, I will need to add a few more layers as well. Hoping it is more than a few years but kind of doubt it...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum