Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193351 - 01/26/16 12:09 PM Any backpacking mess kits meet these specs?
mrfritz44 Offline

I just started shopping for backpacking mess kits and didn't have any luck finding any that meet these criteria. I want to be able to clean the items with sand and sterilize with flame.

The kit should have a 1 liter max anodized boiling pot, two anodized cups, and two anodized sporks.

I've seen kits close to this, but they included plastic components which I'd like to avoid.

Fred

#193352 - 01/26/16 01:17 PM Re: Any backpacking mess kits meet these specs? [Re: mrfritz44]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
You may have better luck assembling the pieces you want individually.

#193353 - 01/26/16 02:41 PM Re: Any backpacking mess kits meet these specs? [Re: aimless]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Yup. And understand that aluminum flatware gets HOT while cooking and eating. If you want to avoid plastic, look at wood (esp. bamboo) and titanium.

Cheers,

#193354 - 01/26/16 03:39 PM Re: Any backpacking mess kits meet these specs? [Re: Rick_D]
bluefish Offline

I've been using long handled anodized sporks from Sea-to-Summit and have never had them get hot while cooking and eating. Maybe there length dissipates the heat and I don't leave them in the pot while cooking. I've done freezer bag trips with no clean-up, except for a cup rinse out. If I need to, I boil a few ounces of water at the end of a meal for cleaning, with frezzer bags, only water is ever in the pot, and no dishes. It's why I like the long sporks- easy to mix up food in a bag and eat it. 2 of them weigh 1/2 oz. They make oatmeal packs you can pour water in, stir, wait, and eat, too. In April I'm doing a dry trip into the Bisti Badlands in New Mexico. Only 3 days, so no cook, cold coffee. No clean-up.

#193355 - 01/26/16 04:06 PM Re: Any backpacking mess kits meet these specs? [Re: bluefish]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'm also a fan of freezer bag "cooking." (Actually rehydration, not cooking) Some kind of cozy is necesssary to keep the food warm while it's rehydrating. Can you tell I hate washing dishes, especially pots and pans? laugh This method also saves on fuel. Lots more about it, including lots of recipes using grocery store ingredients, here.

I definitely second getting the pieces you want separately. I've found that "kits" of any kind invariably include unneeded items and omit items I need.

#193356 - 01/26/16 04:13 PM Re: Any backpacking mess kits meet these specs? [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

Thanks, OM, I just added that site to my favorites. I gave a glance to a bunch of tasty looking recipes that were cold cook. Excellent!

#193362 - 01/27/16 01:25 PM Re: Any backpacking mess kits meet these specs? [Re: mrfritz44]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Personally, if I was planning to clean with sand, I would steer clear of anodized aluminum. You will eventually wear off the anodizing. I would look for a titanium pot, or a non-anodized aluminum pot, or a stainless pot.

My favorite "spork" design is the light my fire design with a fork on one side and a spoon on the other. I have the one in titanium and LOVE it. I have a bunch of the nylon versions and they are great as well.

With your specific criteria, you will have to buy the components separately.

#199680 - 12/03/17 07:36 PM Re: Any backpacking mess kits meet these specs? [Re: mrfritz44]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By mrfritz44
I just started shopping for backpacking mess kits and didn't have any luck finding any that meet these criteria. I want to be able to clean the items with sand and sterilize with flame.

The kit should have a 1 liter max anodized boiling pot, two anodized cups, and two anodized sporks.

I've seen kits close to this, but they included plastic components which I'd like to avoid.

Anodized means aluminum. Why would you want an aluminum cup? If you want metal, a Sierra cup would work, I used them for decades but they are heavy by today's standards. Sporks are generally plastic but I made one of steel by brazing the end of a fork to the end of a spoon. One liter pots are easy to find.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum