Mary Janes Farm Organic Backcountry Meals

NATURAL HIGH GOURMET MEALS

Natural High

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199459 - 11/11/17 12:21 PM Knorr side dishes
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
As happens periodically, I’ve reached a point where freeze-dried food (though a vast improvement over the 80s versions) is starting to all taste like sawdust. So, for a while, I’m thinking of preparing some simple meals using one of the Knorr side dishes (pasta or rice) with a pouch of chicken, tuna, or salmon added.

I haven’t used those side dishes since the early 2000’s, and there seems to be a much greater variety available now. So, for any of you who use them, I’ve got a few questions:

1. How easy are they to prepare in the backcountry? (I’m thinking of using a white gas stove, the Whisperlite, which I can get to simmer by not overpressurizing the bottle.)

2. Some of them call for adding milk. Obviously, I’ll not be carrying milk, but I was wondering if you could simply add powdered milk to the pouch contents, then add the water called for in the instructions plus the water needed to rehydrate the powdered milk, and bring it to a boil as called for in the instructions.

3. The instructions seem to specify using a 2-quart pot, but you end up only adding a cup or so of liquid to the contents of the pack. I’m thinking a 1 quart pot would work just as well - or do you need the broader area for the ingredients to be shallow for cooking?

4. What type of cook wear do you use for this type of cooking? Popular wisdom has it that titanium scorches too easily when you try to actually cook in it. I still have a stainless steel pot that I could use, if it works better. I’m not really interested in aluminum or non-stick cookware.

Any other thoughts you have would be welcome.

Glenn

#199462 - 11/11/17 02:26 PM Re: Knorr side dishes [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Glen, I use Knorr Sides a lot for my longer trips. I generally go solo so I only take about half to two thirds of a pouch and add freeze dried meat to it. It takes a bit of experimentation to get the amount of water to your liking. I started making them on the soupy side and reduced from there. The rice sides can be cooked freezer-bag style but the pasta sides are better cooked and simmered in a pot, unless you like crunchy pasta. Here you risk a potentially scorched pot bottom. I take a 2-cup screw-top plastic storage container and use that instead of freezer bags for rehydrating. It weighs less than 4 freezer bags. I cook in either a small IMUSA cup or in a MSR Titan Kettle (the larger of the two). I use a Snow Peak Giga stove which sorta simmers.

I use very little in the way of commercial backpacking food. I prefer the roll-your-own approach cause it's cheaper and more varied. Sometimes the variety ranges from good to bad but that's life.

For those that call for milk I either ignore it or use Nido dried whole milk. Again, a bit of experimenting is in order here.

#199463 - 11/11/17 02:31 PM Re: Knorr side dishes [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd suggest getting a few and trying them out at home! That should resolve your questions, including if you find the results edible! I find the Knorr stuff far too salty, but I am used to a low-salt diet at home.

With dried milk, be sure to mix it thoroughly in cold water before using. If any lumps are left, they will get worse during cooking.

I suspect the reason for the larger pot is to prevent boiling over when cooking noodles. But you'll find out in your home trials!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/11/17 02:33 PM)

#199464 - 11/11/17 02:35 PM Re: Knorr side dishes [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
1. They're easy, if you can simmer them a bit. Adding boiling water and using a cozy doesn't quite do the trick.

2. Powdered instant milk works fine with them.

3. Note: I use a 2 qt. pot because that's my setup, so I can't answer from direct experience. I suspect a very deep and narrow pot would make stirring difficult, especially if the contents of the pot come nearly to the top. As far as the actual cooking goes, I don't think it would make much difference.

4. I use an Open Country 2 qt. uncoated aluminum pot with a wire bail handle. Stirring is the best antidote for scorching. See answer 3 for further thoughts on stirring.

Other thoughts. The Knorr Sides are cheap enough you could try a few at home and decide if they adapt well to your normal cooking setup and they taste good enough to enjoy. They work fine for me, but YMMV.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
compass, thermometer, baro/altimeter
by edfardos
11/19/17 09:54 PM
Shoe question.
by lupacexi
11/11/17 01:34 PM
Went to a gatewood cape and love
by toddfw2003
10/30/17 01:28 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Hitting the eagle rock loop, Ark in 3 days
by toddfw2003
11/19/17 11:31 AM
Flamable fabrics?
by
11/13/17 09:31 PM
Arcteryx/general sizing question
by glocke12
11/12/17 01:57 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Plant based insulation...
by billstephenson
11/18/17 02:58 PM
Primaloft question
by PaHiker
11/07/17 08:57 PM
Quilt thoughts / questions
by PaHiker
10/27/17 02:36 PM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 30 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
scouter0, Aegarth, Bill S., ashrafjaman, Sequild
12457 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
HOME
Backpacking.net
Family Hiking
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Sales, Bargains

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com