Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199382 - 10/27/17 02:36 PM Quilt thoughts / questions
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
Have a quilt that sufficed for warm 3-season usage, but when moving into the colder times it's not a consideration. Thought I would give a try at a cold 3-season quilt. Had a wacky idea pop into my head (happens all the time) so I thought I would pass it by here for reasons why I am on / off base.

What would be the problem with using a reflective foil inside the quilt, in place of the usual down / therma-whatever. I've used these in SAR to get a person warmed up until help arises. I have one that has seen better days for SAR, but might have a use as a quilt liner.

Thoughts?

#199383 - 10/27/17 05:15 PM Re: Quilt thoughts / questions [Re: PaHiker]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Believe it or not, one of the most important features of the standard sleeping bag/quilt is that it's permeable. This is important, because your body gives off quite a bit of moisture (the technical name is "insensible perspiration") during the night. If either the outer or inner shell of the bag/quilt is waterproof, the bag will trap moisture inside.

Of course a number of us use a vapor barrier inside the sleeping bag in really cold weather, which adds to the warmth. However, you don't want anything inside that vapor barrier except a suoer-moisture-conducting base layer. Any insulation you may want to add on an extremely cold night needs to be outside that vapor barrier, or it will be soggy (and not very insulating) by morning.

I strongly recommend, from long experience, that whatever vapor barrier you use (and that foil layer you're contemplating is a vapor barrier) be separate from the sleeping bag. On warmer nights, you won't need it, and it will feel like a Turkish bath inside. The borderline here is different for different folks--for me it's about 30* while for others it's more like 20* or 15*. On extra cold nights, when your quilt/bag is marginal, you'll need to be able to add insulating clothing over the top of your vapor barrier, not something you can do if the barrier is part of the sleeping bag shell.

#199384 - 10/27/17 05:24 PM Re: Quilt thoughts / questions [Re: OregonMouse]
PaHiker Offline

Thanks, do understand that. The foil we use does have holes to allow vapor to escape.

#199417 - 10/31/17 10:50 AM Re: Quilt thoughts / questions [Re: PaHiker]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
so... radiative shields (reflective foil) are not designed to be conductively insulating. What that means s they only work if they have some space between them and any object around them. They don't work very well sandwiched between objects like you are proposing.

#199418 - 10/31/17 11:01 AM Re: Quilt thoughts / questions [Re: BZH]
PaHiker Offline

Okay, thanks. Somehow I figured life wouldn’t be that easy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum