Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199139 - 09/20/17 08:36 AM In tent entertainment
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
There was a discussion on a local Facebook group about in tent entertainment. I am wondering what others take. Since I am a solo hiker and at this time of year it gets dark early and there are a lot of hours spent in a tent I take my Kindle Paperwhite for reading and a small radio to listen to things like newscasts. I also take a basic Android phone which allows phone calls when a signal is available and text messages. Since I have limited data it is not used for maps etc. For reading on the phone it burns through battery at an alarming rate. Others take a paper book, read on their phone, and just enjoy nature in silence.

I am curious what others take along. I am sure that being solo makes a difference. With a group there are others to talk to and campfire chatter is an option.

#199140 - 09/20/17 08:58 AM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I take my iPhone and ear buds along for short trips. I have downloaded a lot of music and have a Kindle app with a number of books aboard. For longer trips I bring an aging iPod Mini with my music, my iPhone for reading and whatever communication is available and a small battery charger. But, truth be told, I'm usually tired enough after a day's walking that if I lay down in my tent, I go to sleep.

#199143 - 09/20/17 12:51 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I've loaded up my phone with audio books and listen to those in the tent. As long as I put it in airplane mode, the battery life isn't an issue on short trips (all I've done so far).

#199145 - 09/20/17 01:14 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I bring a paper book along if I think I'll have lots of in-camp time or in-tent time.

#199146 - 09/20/17 02:07 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I spend a lot of time in used bookstores and one of the things I look for are lightweight paperback books suitable for backpacking. I try to have a selection of 6 or 8 titles set aside that I can choose from, depending on what sounds interesting. Average weight: about 4.5 oz. That's my main in-tent entertainment.

I also own a 1 oz. mp3 player w/ 2GB of music that I can take if I wish. Sometimes I take a small notebook in which I can write notes about what I've seen or thought about on the hike. I might spend a few minutes reviewing the photos I've taken, but that's a pretty minor pastime in terms of how long it occupies me, usually no more than 10 or 12 minutes at most.

#199147 - 09/20/17 07:43 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
My main in-tent entertainment is:
1. Sleeping.
2. Killing all the little flying nasties that follow me in.
3. Skunks - even more entertaining when it's not my tent. smile

All kidding aside, I tend to go to bed when it's dark, and get up with, or just before, the sun clears the horizon. Sometimes, I'll spend a few minutes looking at tomorrow's route on the map, or even bring a map for somewhere else and plan the next trip.

In my younger days, when I traveled with others and shared a two-person tent, I'd take a deck of cards. When solo tents became available, and I began hiking solo (or with someone who is like-minded about bedding down and rising early - in his solo tent), the cards stopped going along.

On a clear night, when I don't need/want the fly on, stargazing through the roof of the mesh inner tent is a nice way to drift off to sleep.

For sheer amusement, usually before tent-time, you can't beat watching folks try to set up a bear bag.

#199148 - 09/20/17 10:33 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Quote:
For sheer amusement, usually before tent-time, you can't beat watching folks try to set up a bear bag.

If I'd been there, you would have died laughing! I couldn'thit the side of a barn if I were inside it!

#199149 - 09/21/17 12:57 AM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I backpack with my wife, so we have each other to entertain. Sometimes she brings a book...but I find it pretty peaceful just to lie in the tent and be in the moment. Of course, that often leads to me being in deep slumber...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#199150 - 09/21/17 06:20 AM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: Glenn Roberts]
GrumpyGord Offline

The problem for me is that at this time of year is that sunset is at 7:30 PM and sunrise is 7:30 AM. That makes 12 hours of tent time. In the summer time the bugs are bad and being outside of the tent is not a pleasant experience. If I fall asleep at 8:00 I know that I will be wide awake at 3:00 and just stare at the ceiling until I now have to get up to pee. Easier to just read or listen to the radio until 10:30 and I will still wake up at 5:30 which is my usual sleep cycle but that is better than spending 3 or 4 hours waiting for daylight.

#199151 - 09/21/17 11:57 AM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I usually download a book or two and some games that don't require internet access onto my phone. I used to bring a book, but my phone phone is lighter and has more options. Games that don't require internet access usually cost a couple bucks, but it is worth it. My favorites are Limbo, Brain It On!, and I believe the original Plants Vs. Zombies doesn't require internet. My phone has become the ultimate multi-use tool for enjoyment purposes in the backcountry.

#199152 - 09/21/17 02:29 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: BZH]
GrumpyGord Offline

It appears that my problem is that my phone does not hold a charge as long as others do. I have a prepaid Tracfone which costs me about $10 per month and the basic phone cost me about $50. I cannot begin to justify a phone bill of $50/month. I make about 2 to 5 calls per week and text a couple of times per month. If I just use the phone to make phone calls the charge is down to 50% at the end of the week. If I use it to do things like check email the charge is down to 50% in two days. I would guess that reading a book would discharge the battery in one or two nights. I have access to a computer or my Kindle on WiFi almost full time so I really do not have a lot of use for an iPhone.

#199154 - 09/21/17 06:17 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
yup, battery life is the big draw back. It does improve a bit in the backcountry if you turn off Wifi and turn on airplane mode. I believe I have the last Samsung that has an interchangeable battery. I bring a spare or two with me.... but alas this option is becoming a thing of the past. A friend brought a battery charger and it seemed to work pretty well. I guess a phone and a hefty battery charger would weigh as much as an e-reader, but would have more functions.

#199155 - 09/21/17 06:26 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]

Getting up to pee - how could I have forgotten to include that on the list?!! (It would even qualify as in-tent if you use a P-bottle.)

#199159 - 09/22/17 12:17 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
Jeffrey Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Usually, I take crosswords or sudoku to make my leisure less boring. It may kill some time during short hikes.

#199166 - 09/24/17 12:31 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I don't bring or really use anything. I spend so much time staring at monitors that reading with a phone is more like work than entertainment. I've carried paperback books with me a few times, but it's not very comfortable lying in a tent trying to read them, so I didn't spend much time doing that and stopped bringing them.

I generally just sit in front of my campfire and ponder, look at the stars, listen to the forest, and relax until I get in my tent and fall asleep. But my trips are not very long, generally not more than 3 nights and by then I get bored with myself so I'm ready to come back.

"You want to go where?"

#199172 - 09/24/17 08:09 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Depends on your style of backpacking. If you do long miles each day, there really is not a lot of boring tent time. If on the other hand, you stop at 2-3 in the afternoon you have a lot of time on your hands. My "entertainment" then is fishing. I may fish the daylight hours and then cook dinner in the dark, with a lamp (I like the small Luci solar lantern at 3 oz). As for inside tent, I have a 1-oz I-pod that I use for music or books on tape. It has about 8-10 hours battery life, so on a 9-day trip I can do about an hour a night.

I seem to have my days filled, either with walking, fishing, photographing, camp chores or exploring that I really do not have much need for in-tent entertainment. I also have no problem sleeping 9-10 hours. I do not need to have constant activity or mental stimulation. I guess that is more charteristic of we old folks who grew up without all the current entertainment and spent a lot of time just sitting in the woods contemplating life.

#199184 - 09/25/17 02:24 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I absolutely cannot spend 12 hours or more a night cooped up in a tent, which is why you won't find me going out overnight between October and March!

#199189 - 09/26/17 03:17 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
OM, if you lived farther south, you would not have to spend 12 hours in a tent for late season hiking. I can sympathize, however, because I grew up in Spokane WA and remember going to school in the dark, coming home and it being dark by 4PM.

I have also had to retreat to the tent in the summer- due to swarms of mosquitoes! Just as bad!

It really helps to go with a good group of people when you have to spend more time in the tent. Conversation helps.

#199191 - 09/26/17 06:55 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: wandering_daisy]

I didn't check the previous posts, but one thought if you do, for whatever reason, find that you consistently spend a lot of time in a tent not sleeping:

Consider getting a two person tent, even if you can get by with a solo tent. Yes, you may end up carrying half a pound or a pound more, but the extra space to sit up, stretch out, spread out your gear, or just have some floor space for playing solitaire.

#199261 - 10/11/17 02:10 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: GrumpyGord]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
It appears that my problem is that my phone does not hold a charge as long as others do. I have a prepaid Tracfone which costs me about $10 per month and the basic phone cost me about $50. I cannot begin to justify a phone bill of $50/month. I make about 2 to 5 calls per week and text a couple of times per month. If I just use the phone to make phone calls the charge is down to 50% at the end of the week. If I use it to do things like check email the charge is down to 50% in two days. I would guess that reading a book would discharge the battery in one or two nights. I have access to a computer or my Kindle on WiFi almost full time so I really do not have a lot of use for an iPhone.

If using a phone as backcountry entertainment or navigation ever became something you were interested in doing, you could always get a used, deactivated phone or an ipod touch. People are a bit nuts about upgrading to the latest and greatest, so you can get the second most recent model for a song sometimes. If you know who to ask, they might even give it to you for free. And, without the cellular data turned out, the battery life is far better.

#199264 - 10/11/17 07:20 PM Re: In tent entertainment [Re: 4evrplan]
GrumpyGord Offline

I already have a Kindle Paperwhite which is light and holds a charge for a week even using it for 3 to 4 hours per day. That with my cell phone to make the occasional phone call really take care of it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum