Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199093 - 09/13/17 02:08 PM mt rogers/grayson highlands/appalachian tr VA
katattak Offline

Loc: falls church, va
hi everyone,

traveling from northern va to souwthwestern va for a weekend camping/hiking trip near mount rogers/grayson highlands area of the appalachian trail. i've never been camping and have really only done a small hike here and there. i'm borrowing a tent my bro in law says is pretty easy to set up and will have a sleeping bag. going to camp at a site so there's a bathroom and stuff. just planning on wearing regular running shoes and won't hike more than 5 miles or so in a day. i'll only be there friday night/saturday/saturday night/sunday, so not going all out with food (just plannign to bring pb sandwiches and some fruit - no stove or anything). Will stop into a visitor center for maps, bring a flashlight, and an extra power block to charge my phone. Will bring sunscreen and possibly bug spray, basic toiletries, toilet paper, and towel. mostly just want to try it out and get the "i did it" feeling to see if and how i want to do it again, but would be open to tips or things i'm not thinking of. i know it's supposedly "bear country" but given how well populated it is i figure i'll be fine as long as i put my food up and away.

i'm excited!

#199096 - 09/13/17 07:16 PM Re: mt rogers/grayson highlands/appalachian tr VA [Re: katattak]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Just to be clear: you're not backpacking, right? If I'm reading you correctly, you'll be staying at the public campground at the trailhead, not hiking in to spend the weekend camped at a shelter on the AT.

If so, your plan doesn't sound unreasonable. Will you be by yourself, or camping with someone? There's no real problem camping alone, it's just that learn a lot from someone more experienced.

As far as your tent: have you set that up yet at home? You don't want to get there and find out half the poles are missing, or that there aren't any tent stakes, or it's all moldy inside.

What temperature is the sleeping bag rated for? You'll want one that will handle the temperatures that are forecast. (Hint: the temperature in the Highlands is reliable 10 degrees colder than the reported temps in Damascus. Take that into account, too.) Also, are you using a sleeping pad underneath that sleeping bag? You'll be much more comfortable, and warmer, if you do.

Regarding food: are you comfortable eating the diet you suggest for a weekend at home? If you get out there and find out you're wanting hot food, or a little variety, Damascus isn't that far away, and there are a couple of really good places to eat. (And, if you have cell service, maybe a pizza place will deliver to the state campground - I know there's one place that will deliver to a location on the AT where it crosses a road; I just can't remember the details.)

The hiking in the Highlands is fairly easy (that's a relative term, though - I still found myself very tired after a 10 mile day there!) What I mean is that the trail is well-built, well-maintained, and the rate of elevation change isn't horrible. It's a really pretty place to hike, with a nice mix of woods and open space. You get some really nice views from the ridge tops. And the wild ponies are a really great touch. (Please don't feed them; they are wild. However, they are not dangerous. They are aggressive; they've habituated enough that they think of people as being willing to feed them, and they're not bashful about "asking.") I've awakened in the backcountry to see a pony looking into my tent from about four feet away - incredible!

Be sure to carry the "ten essentials" on your day hikes. If possible, let someone know your planned hike (best: someone at home who will notify authorities if you don't call them by a definite time. Another possibility: leave a note in your tent or on your car dashboard.)

I've never had problems with bears there, at least not in the backcountry; we did hang our food and smellables without fail, kept a clean campsite, and cooked downwind of our sleeping areas. One problem you may have in a public campground is not how you act, but how others around you - and before you - act. If they've not followed good practices, or have fed the bears to get that internet-worthy video, your careful practices won't matter: the bears will already equate people with food. You might want to ask the local ranger or park attendant whether there are currently problems, and what they recommend for food storage (bears can sometimes break into cars, so they may have bear containers.)

Are you planning to summit Mt. Rogers? If so, you might want to check out my friend's You Tube channel, "Watch Mike Hike." He has a short video about submitting Mt. Rogers - a definite must-see before you go.

The Highlands are indeed beautiful, and a great place to hike. I've been there three times, spending several days each time, and am hoping to get back again one of these days. (I'm from Ohio.)

Have a good time.

#199097 - 09/13/17 07:29 PM Re: mt rogers/grayson highlands/appalachian tr VA [Re: katattak]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
If you are staying in a campground, they will have specific food rules to follow.... follow them! Mostly likely the food rules (store in car, lockers, covered containers...) are for racoons.

If you can light a campfire, you should bring some hotdogs and marshmallows to roast. It's a traditional way to spend the evenings.

Even if you are staying in the campground for the bathroom, you should have a trowell and some TP in your daybag, for unexpected needs.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum