Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199066 - 09/10/17 03:26 PM Tick bites
Weston1000 Offline

Video: Emerging Tickborne Diseases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al5EM3yh--0

#199420 - 11/02/17 06:57 PM Re: Tick bites [Re: Weston1000]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I treat all my clothes, socks and shoes with Permetherine. I am also a tarp user instead of a tent. I treat my ground sheet with permetherine

#199441 - 11/08/17 08:34 PM Re: Tick bites [Re: Weston1000]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Yeah, if you live in the southern States you grew up doing "tick checks" when you came in after playing outside all day so they're just a part of life. The main things to remember is to get them off fast and that "all ticks must die".

Prevention is the key. I treat my clothes with permethrin too. I treat one pair of pants, one t-shirt, and three pair of socks during tick season. I don't like it, but I get too bit up if I don't.

I treat them in the Spring when I start getting bit and wear them until I start getting bit up again before I treat them again to minimize my exposure. It last about 4-5 weeks but I will get bit up a little the last week or two. I treated them three times this year and haven't been wearing them for the past two weeks now.

And I treat our 3 dogs with that stuff you put on their back. They hate that stuff, but they get to scratching so bad it makes me miserable watching them and they're dragging tick here constantly and breeding the darn things. Just treating the dogs makes a huge difference in how many are out in the yard.

But I don't put any pesticide on our yard or the pasture/forest out back. I'd rather get bit than do that. Over the years I've lived here on this ridge new neighbors have moved here and new homes have been built and most all of them use pesticide.

This year I didn't see a single wild honey bee and it's been about three years since I've seen a Monarch Butterfly. They used to swarm the flowers around our place. This year it was mostly wasps that were on a bush that flowers in the Fall that Monarchs used to cover for days while migrating to Mexico.

My wife gets pissed that I won't use pesticide but I've got good at guilting her into not making me.

And lucky for me a couple years ago I learned about using Diatomaceous Earth to kill chiggers. We had those so bad around our blackberry bushes that they'd cover your shoes in one minute and be devouring your legs the next. I spread that stuff out there and they've been gone for two years now, and I didn't use but about 5 pounds spot treating a few acres where I knew they were. You have to do in the early Spring though, and when you have a few dry days in a row.

"You want to go where?"

#199446 - 11/08/17 09:19 PM Re: Tick bites [Re: billstephenson]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I used Cedarcide (specific type of cedar oil) on my dogs for a number of years instead of Frontline and such. Worked quite well, though was pretty expensive. (I have no financial relationship with Cedarcide, just a happy customer). I also sprayed it on my lawn. Some research has shown that some cedar chips, when spread along the fence/lawn line, can repel ticks and such.

#199466 - 11/11/17 08:33 PM Re: Tick bites [Re: Weston1000]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
We have the tiny black west coast deer ticks in California that are harder to see than the bigger reddish ticks of the Rockies. Any backpack on the coast or in the coastal ranges result in many ticks on my clothing. I keep them from getting on my skin by eliminating open spots where then can crawl from clothing onto me. I always wear knee-high gaiters. I put rubber bands around my long sleeve shirt. I wear a tight kerchief on my head, under a hat and braid my hair so there is not a lot of loose hair for ticks to hide in. I do use DEET on the rim of my hat and around my neck. I have some "bugs off" clothing that I now use too.

My hard-fast rule is never to wear daytime clothing inside my sleeping bag. I have hiking clothes and inside tent clothes. I put my hiking clothes in a sealed plastic bag. I am very careful to fully zip up my tent door. I do a good tick check before I go inside the tent, but hard to check your backside when solo!

One time I used a tarp instead of a tent at Henry Coe State Park. I ended up covered with ticks! So now, I always use a tent in tick country.

Even with all these precautions, I still will end up with several ticks on me. I think I get them when I squat to pee! Once I had to dig one out with a knife (ouch). The "slowly pull so they back out" does not always work. If I see an embedded tick at when home I will sit in a bathtub for hours- they eventually back out.

Nevertheless, I never have had any tick carried diseases. Years ago when in the Rockies, I would get the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever immunizations.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum