MARY JANES FARM ORGANIC MEALS

Mary Janes Farm Organic Backcountry Meals

NATURAL HIGH GOURMET MEALS

Natural High

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198902 - 08/16/17 11:24 AM study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska
dimaria Offline

Years ago, I read of a study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska, where the researchers experimented with two different kind of small tents, one, the typical tent seen and sold everywhere with bright, multi-colored Day-Glo panels. The second, a tent of a camouflage pattern. As I recall, they pitched these on alternating days on the open tundra about 200 yards from a stream bed well-traveled by grizzlies. Then they watched from afar.
Without exception, every passing bear, upon spying the brightly colored tent, came over to investigate, sometimes damaging the tent in the process.
Also without exception, every bear that looked up and saw the camo tent, paused briefly, then continued on its way without a second glance.
My question is this: Why on earth aren't tentmakers everywhere falling all over themselves trying to manufacture all kinds of camouflage backpacking tents? Speaking for myself, I would have bought one immediately after reading this report had a decent one been available.

#198906 - 08/16/17 06:47 PM Re: study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska [Re: dimaria]
4evrplan Online   content

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I can't speak for everyone else, but personally

1) It's much easier to find your way back to a brightly colored tent.
2) I just don't like the look of camo. And,
3) Camo items are sometimes more expensive.

Having said all that, I don't camp in grizzly country.

Edited by 4evrplan (08/16/17 06:48 PM)

#198907 - 08/16/17 08:09 PM Re: study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska [Re: dimaria]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I favor the bright colors primarily for better visibility to humans, myself included. I have not camped in Grizzly bear country. I'm not convinced that the color of the tent would be that much of a deterrent in a real life situation with human scent all around the campsite.

#198908 - 08/16/17 11:10 PM Re: study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska [Re: wgiles]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I personally detest both bright colored gear of any sort (visual pollution, per the Leave No Trace folks) and camo. Silnylon gray is my favorite color for gear. I prefer to be hidden rather than sticking out like a sore thumb. Per the 7th principle of Leave No Trace, being considerate of others:
Quote:
Bright clothing and equipment, such as tents can be seen for long distances are discouraged. Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow are disturbing and contribute to a crowded feeling; choose earth-toned colors (ie. browns and greens) to lessen visual impact.

On the other hand, I'm a firm believer in reflective tent guylines, which make the tent visible a half mile away in the dark, using my headlamp.

#198914 - 08/17/17 11:42 AM Re: study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I would also wonder about and tent company "implying" that camo is safer in bear country. That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen...

I prefer a tent that is the color of granite. It blends in so well with the surroundings that we once had another party pitch their tent within 20 feet of ours, not realizing that the granite color thing in the trees was our tent...grin.

check out our website and blog: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/home

#198920 - 08/18/17 04:13 PM Re: study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska [Re: dimaria]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Grizzly bear behavior doesn't really have any bearing on the backcountry camping I do. There are no grizzlies where I hike.

Personally, the citation of "a study I read years ago" is not exactly a compelling piece of evidence to me, since there is so much misinformation floating around the internet. I think I'd want to see if this study ever existed before basing my tent purchase on it.

Can you give us any more clues than this about the authors, the study's sponsors, or the publication it appeared in?

#199003 - 08/31/17 06:53 PM Re: study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska [Re: dimaria]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
As others have pointed out the ammount of people in grizzly/polar/tiger/lion country going camping is small. I am far more concerned with snakes/spiders.is there a (Australian? ) study into those ?

A point about the bright tents is that in the snow these colours stand out, especially in a blizzard!

#199010 - 09/01/17 07:11 PM Re: study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
OM, I am going the opposite direction as I age. My eyesight is not good, particularly in low light. I loose gray gear! I now am buying colorful gear. Different colored stuff sacks so I know orange means sleeping bag, yellow means clothing, white means personal items and first aid, etc. It helps me set up and take down faster. I bought a pruple titanium spork after having difficulty seeing the gray one. Nothing worse than your dinner needing to be stirred and you cannot find the spoon! Living on the ground, if something is not brigthly colored, I step on it. I am even thinking of going florencent for critical items!

I do not like the Tarptent gray. I have actually bashed into my tent at dusk! Camoflouge would be even worse. A nice true blue would be great, not obnoxious, but very visible.

When I was into mountaineering, you always wanted a bright tent. Finding "home" after a long climb is really important! A bright tent is also easier to spot if you are hurt and need rescue.

I hate the black color of my pack, that otherwise, I love. Black gets really hot; my lunch cheese sticks melt. And I sometimes step on my pack when it is on the ground.

A lot of animals are curious regarding any unusual color, shape or smell in their environment. By the way, since dogs are somewhat color blind, what about bears? Perhaps it was the different color pannels, rather than the colore per se?

When hiking, you WANT the bear to see you from a distance, rather than startle him. That is why the bear bells, or other means of making noise while you hike. I would not want a bear to be walking near my tent, and all of a sudden realize what it is and freak out. Rather have him approach from a distance with curiosity and a bit of caution.

#199030 - 09/05/17 12:59 PM Re: study of grizzly bear behavior in Alaska [Re: wandering_daisy]
BZH Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy

A lot of animals are curious regarding any unusual color, shape or smell in their environment. By the way, since dogs are somewhat color blind, what about bears? Perhaps it was the different color pannels, rather than the colore per se?

Bears can see in color: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=136

Bears are omnivorous and berries often make up a significant part of their diet. Seeing in color would be a substantial evolutionary advantage compared to dogs which hunt animals and need to see movement primarily.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Bivvy Sack combo Arrangement
by Jim M
Today at 01:58 AM
what is the lightest framed backpack around 40L
by toddfw2003
10/16/17 07:23 PM
a worthy challenger to the msr pocket rocket2
by the-gr8t-waldo
10/16/17 01:28 PM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Napa Fires
by balzaccom
10/11/17 07:43 PM
Backpacking the Ouachita Trail thanksgiving
by toddfw2003
10/05/17 11:54 PM
Rockfalll on El Capitan in Yosemite
by balzaccom
09/28/17 09:47 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
alcohol stove comparisons
by Bike_packer
10/03/17 08:56 PM
Can footprint plasticizer harm tent ground-sheet?
by Weston1000
09/10/17 02:24 AM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Weve, Tones21, Pasquale, Rahultravel, Tated
12422 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
HOME
Backpacking.net
Family Hiking
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Sales, Bargains

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com