Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198752 - 07/15/17 12:23 PM Looking for an easy 1 in NC
erik.getty Offline

Hey guys,

lookin for an easy "beginner trip" here in north carolina. we are pretty centralized in the state so anywhere is probably ok.

what we are looking for...

1) by beginner i mean a hike where we can hike maybe 2-3 miles to a place to set up camp and stay for a few days. that way if we have catastrophic gear failure we can just pack up and walk back to the car. we are still in the testing phase.

2) actual directions and/or map of said hiking place would be awesome.

in short we keep getting told essentially "oh NC... youre right by the AT you have plenty of places to go" and thats literally the end of the conversation. no actual recommendation of a place to go that fits what we are needing. the honest answer is that at this time we are fat and out of shape and would like to start hiking more to help us have a more active lifestyle. so jumping on a section of the AT for the weekend probably isnt the best for us. oh also we dont have a bunch of friends so through hiking with someone to pick us up at the other side doesnt work particularly well for us either. so literally just a there and back weekend deal would be awesome. something that maybe if you were a boyscout troop leader you would take the younger kids on this one. that level of difficulty.

thanks,

Erik

#198755 - 07/15/17 02:19 PM Re: Looking for an easy 1 in NC [Re: erik.getty]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'm not familiar with NC (I live and hike in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana, with the occasional Isle Royale or VA AT trip.)

The Roan Highlands on the AT always gets thumbs up, according to one of my buddies. However, I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

Here's something to consider: pick a state park you like, and go there. Camp in the public campground - most have a tent-only area where it will be quieter and less "illuminated." ("Lit up" referring to both the area and the neighbors.) You may even find a park with a walk-in campground a quarter or half mile in (just as good as 3 miles, for what you want.)

Arrive around mid-day, and put your packs on, loaded for the weekend. Lock the car. Now go hike a 2 or 3 mile loop that ends up back at your campsite. Using what's in your packs, set up camp, eat supper, and go to bed. The next day, pack everything up and go hike all day (6-10 miles - don't worry about the exact length; you're trying to figure out how far you can comfortably hike in a day at your current fitness level. Start low, and add miles as you can. End up at your car again - and repeat the previous night (set up, cook, etc.) In short, simulate a backpack trip with a good safety net. Also, use the campground bathrooms and water spigots - you can practice filtering water while you hike, and you can dig cat holes, etc., but you don't have to rely on those as your only options - again, you're practicing.

I was a Scoutmaster, and this was exactly how I introduced 12 - 14 year olds to backpacking. (At least one went on to thru-hike the AT) I still simulate backpack trips this way, particularly if I'm trying out new gear. Just because the car's there, doesn't mean you have to use it to camp - but, if things do go catastrophically wrong, it's there.

Do a few of these trips and you'll be ready to try those AT trips. You do have some beautiful country down there.

Send me a Private Mail (PM) if you have any specific questions you don't want to post here. (By the way, we all believe there are no dumb questions. We all started from scratch, too, and had the same questions you have, so don't be embarrassed to post them here for all to see.)

#198756 - 07/15/17 03:00 PM Re: Looking for an easy 1 in NC [Re: erik.getty]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Backpacker Mag has a bunch of hikes listed for NC online. You can probably find something there.

https://www.backpacker.com/trips/state/north-carolina

#198757 - 07/15/17 04:17 PM Re: Looking for an easy 1 in NC [Re: erik.getty]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Since I live at the other end of the country (diagonally, at that), I can't offer help on a route, but just want to say that you definitely have exactly the right attitude for starting out!

Since you live in NC, I'd suggest getting a hiking guidebook to the area. There are quite a few listed here.

Googling "hiking clubs north carolina" came up not only with a list of clubs (look at their schedules for ideas) but an actual list of areas to hike in!

If you live near a National Forest or a state park, get their maps for ideas. My best hikes have come from studying maps!

Good luck, and let us know how the hike went!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/15/17 04:20 PM)

#198758 - 07/15/17 05:18 PM Re: Looking for an easy 1 in NC [Re: erik.getty]
erik.getty Offline

thanks yall. i will definitely look into a hiking club. i just miss that little bit of the pnw where you can park somewhere and wander into the woods. it doesnt seem to exist out here. im actually from vancouver washington i just somehow managed my way out here.

#198759 - 07/15/17 08:26 PM Re: Looking for an easy 1 in NC [Re: erik.getty]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Look into national forests (USFS) -I think you can pretty much do that at least on forest service roads

#198770 - 07/17/17 12:09 PM Re: Looking for an easy 1 in NC [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Was hoping some locals would give you advice, but like others I can only tell you how I would look for places to backpack in an area I haven't been too. I'd find an area I am interested and then start looking at maps.

National Forests are a great place to start:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nfsnc/recreation/hiking/?recid=48112&actid=51

sometimes reading about dispersed camping you can find places somewhat near a trailhead (many dispersed camping locations you can drive to, but not all.)

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nfsnc/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=48112&actid=34

I try to find forest service maps to get an overview of an area and where places to hike/backpack.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/nfsnc/maps-pubs

Once I have an area I check out trail maps on:

http://caltopo.com

I will also google trail names to see pictures and trail reviews.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum