Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198745 - 07/14/17 04:25 AM Daily Work backpack
robert_tci Offline

Hey all!
New here, and I'm looking to buy a new backpack for my day-to-day work (not really camping or anything).
I don't really know any details about backpacks or if there's any technical info or terms, just what I want laugh.

Most days I just have a notebook or two in my backpack with a tshirt and camera, along with pens, pencils, erasers, my phone charger and cable, and water in the side pocket. Occasionally I like carrying my laptop in my backpack as well. I don't live in the same city as my parents, so when I go to visit them every few weekends, I use just the backpack stuffed with my laptop and a couple more clothes.
I've had an Eddie Bauer "Air Tech System" backpack for about...5 years now? It's right strap has almost detached (despite me trying to stitch it back) and the base had frayed to the point where I had to sew a cloth to the bottom for reinforcement. I can't find it being sold anywhere online right now to show you what it is, but here is a picture I found:
I'm 30, about 70kgs and walk about 5km to and from work every day with my backpack.

Not sure how to distill my needs better. Durability. Special compartment for my 15.6 inch laptop would be nice. Side-pocket that fits larger water containers would be nice. Solid base for all the time it'll be on the floor would be nice. I've got slight back issues, so something that won't destroy my back in the long run would be nice.

So....help? laugh

Edited by robert_tci (07/14/17 05:02 AM)

#198746 - 07/14/17 03:29 PM Re: Daily Work backpack [Re: robert_tci]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I've got slight back issues, so something that won't destroy my back in the long run would be nice.

The best ways to avoid straining your back are either to carry as little weight as possible in your pack (2 kg or less), or else find a backpack that has a belt that effectively transfers the weight of your pack so that it is fully supported by your pelvic girdle (your hip bones) and the shoulder straps are mainly preventing the pack from falling backwards.

As for sorting among the many hundreds of packs out there that are capable of carrying the load you describe, the most important factor is something we cannot help you much with: the pack must fit you comfortably when it is fully loaded with the items you typically plan to carry. Some inexpensive packs are well made and durable, and would be perfectly suited to your needs, but no one here will be conversant with more than a few packs and none of us can tell you how any one of them will fit you.

The best suggestion I can make is load them up, try them on, and examine the materials and workmanship in detail. As soon as you find one that works at a price you are willing to pay, your task is done. Good luck!

#198747 - 07/14/17 09:46 PM Re: Daily Work backpack [Re: robert_tci]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Agree with everything aimless said. I'd only add that you shouldn't just look in outdoor stores, Office Depot and such has the kinds of packs you're probably looking for as well.

#199733 - 12/07/17 07:41 PM Re: Daily Work backpack [Re: robert_tci]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
I am not hyper careful about my choice of daypacks. I have had a few and none have been horrible.
Although I do not care for Walfart/Ozark Trails gear, some of their overnight stuff looks decent. (I often like a larger pack than necessary) I got a pack from a former thru hiker (an estate sale) that is far too small for weekends for me, but I use it for training with water bottles. It has a rudimentary frame, but who cares.
I don't think you can go wrong if you look for decent stitching and stout fabric.
You know, I have even handled decent Chinese packs, although I have not owned one. I may buy one of those for my jump kit (a large kit for mobile first aide) for next summer.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum