Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198676 - 07/06/17 01:27 PM Time for a new headlamp...
willie1280 Offline

So my current headlamp is 10+ years old and it's a Petzl brand.
I'd like to get something new that's an LED and has tons of lumens that i can dial back if i don't always need it super bright.

I'm leaning towards the Black Diamond Storm (2017 model with 350 lumen max). Any feedback on this particular headlamp? Never used Black Diamond products before so any feedback on them in general would be good as well.

Always open to alternate suggestions as well!

#198678 - 07/06/17 03:44 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: willie1280]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Petzl Zipka has served me well for a number of years. The Petzl e+Lite works, but isn't very bright. (Of course, neither am I.) The little retractable cords always intrigued me, too - no stupid webbing band to deal with. The Zipka was bright, but you couldn't tilt it to aim it. The e+Lite could be tilted to aim, but was pretty dim.

Recently, I picked up a BD Ion - simple, red and white lights, with a tillable lamp, and a webbing band that is fairly narrow. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

For some reason, I keep coming back to Petzl.

#198680 - 07/06/17 04:01 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: willie1280]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I have an older Black Diamond headlamp that I like a lot. I have a newer one that I don't like as much. The new has a smaller (more sensitive) button. On several occasions it has accidentally activate in my pack. Then when I role in to camp half my battery life is gone. The new one dims where the old one just turned on/off. This issue seems associated with that. My new one is a couple years old, so it is possible BD has corrected this issue.

#198682 - 07/06/17 04:56 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: willie1280]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have a Princeton Tec Aurora that I've had since 2006, with which I'm still very happy. It is regulated, so the light stays bright until the batteries are just about kaput. Also, being regulated, it can use lithium batteries which last a lot longer and work better in cold weather. I have no intention of replacing it. I did try a Petzl e+lite a few years ago and gave it up because it's not bright enough for night hiking. Saving 2 oz. was not worth it when an emergency arose requiring night evacuation!

My headlamp isn't just for backpacking! I use the Aurora a lot around home because it gives me hands-free access to dim places like under-counter cupboards, etc. It shows no signs of wear. It goes with me on auto trips, too. Unfortunately, as I discovered when searching for one for my youngest grandson, this model has been discontinued.

If I were searching for another headlamp I'd look for several things. First, regulation, as I mentioned above, and the ability to use lithium batteries. Second, as mentioned by BZH, a switch that can't get turned on accidentally in my pack. Third is enough lumens so you can see the trail (with its rocks, roots, holes, etc) when hiking in the dark.

#198684 - 07/06/17 08:06 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
My favorite-ever headlamp was the Princeton Tec Scout. It tilted, and had a little lip that, when it wasn't in tilt position, covered the switch, neatly eliminating the chance that you would accidentally turn it on. Bright light, too.

Naturally, being a very good product, they quit making it.

I've used the e+Lite a few times as my primary light, but it's mostly been my back-up light, so I can see to change batteries. (For some reason, my batteries also seem to die at night, when it's dark.)

#198685 - 07/06/17 08:44 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: willie1280]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
LEDs can be bright, but even the most efficient LEDs are around 100 Lumens per Watt. It doesn't take long for a lamp that consumes a Watt, or more, to run a battery down. It is nice to have a lamp that will produce a lot of light for a short time, while being capable of operation at low light levels for good battery life. I also prefer that my battery operated equipment all use the same type of battery.

#198775 - 07/17/17 11:40 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: wgiles]
BigBill Offline

Loc: MI
Wally world, at least the local one, has a bunch of small LEDs, both clip on and headlamps for $1 each. They are fairly bright though I don't know their lifespan. They probably take a watch battery of some sort.

#205412 - 03/26/21 04:27 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: BigBill]
arfa Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I can sometimes spend up to 6 weeks on a trip in varied terrain and countries so a good headlamp is essential. Zebra are comparable in price with Petzl - but I find the zebra, single AA battery with simple brightness options to be the best. Depending on the model it can go for something like 3 hours at 1400Lms or 4 months on the lowest setting (0.1Lm - guessing here)
http://zebralight.com/

#205426 - 03/29/21 06:46 AM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: willie1280]
Flipperfla Offline

Loc: Fl
Originally Posted By willie1280
So my current headlamp is 10+ years old and it's a Petzl brand.
I'd like to get something new that's an LED and has tons of lumens that i can dial back if i don't always need it super bright.

I'm leaning towards the Black Diamond Storm (2017 model with 350 lumen max). Any feedback on this particular headlamp? Never used Black Diamond products before so any feedback on them in general would be good as well.

Always open to alternate suggestions as well!

Check out Fenix headlight and flashlights. Great quality. Super bright. IPX8

#206072 - 01/10/22 11:29 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: Flipperfla]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I bought a $10 dollar stocking cap with built in USB rechargeable Lithium battery and 4 white leds on the front, maybe at Walmart. Yes I have a bunch of antiques also, how bout a lithium battery incandescent flashlight?

#206083 - 01/14/22 01:51 PM Re: Time for a new headlamp... [Re: Jimshaw]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I got one of those hats a couple of Christmases ago. Works okay for running, actually. No idea how I might wash it, though.

+1 on the Fenix lights. Very bright and tough.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum