Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198596 - 06/28/17 07:09 PM Hiking staff
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
I will be flying to Arizona in Sept. for 9 days of hiking / backpacking, is there a way to take my hiking staff? If it matters, it's ~5-1/2 ft in length.

#198597 - 06/28/17 07:17 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: PaHiker]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
shouldn't be a problem. It is considered a mobility device so it has little restrictions:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/can-walking-stick-plane-106847.html

#198598 - 06/28/17 07:20 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: BZH]
PaHiker Offline

Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pack it and pay the $40 baggage charge.

#198599 - 06/28/17 07:32 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: BZH]
PaHiker Offline

Rats. After reading the article I called American, they consider it a sporting device unless it is a medical need, so checked and $40 to ship.

#198601 - 06/28/17 09:45 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: PaHiker]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
For not much more, you could probably pick up something collapsible (say, REI brand, single or pair) and stow them, collapsed, inside the pack? They'd work for one trip, then you could go back to your old reliable.

#198602 - 06/29/17 12:23 AM Re: Hiking staff [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Are you staying at a hotel the day you fly in, or with friends?

They have 5' wood walking sticks on Amazon for $20. You could buy one just before your trip and have it delivered to a hotel or friend in the area - cheaper than paying $40 (each way?) thru the airlines.

#198611 - 06/29/17 11:50 AM Re: Hiking staff [Re: PaHiker]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
A) I have a hard time believing American will challenge your medical need for the walking stick.

B) You shouldn't have any trouble getting the walking stick to the gate. If they want you to check it at the gate they most likely won't charge you.

C) If you don't want to play games and risk paying the fee/losing your stick, some excellent ideas were presented above.

You can, of course, locally source a new stick while hiking.

#198622 - 06/30/17 01:07 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: PaHiker]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
You might have a look online for folding staff options. I know that Cabelas makes a 4-1/2 foot folding "wading staff".

I've also seen oak staffs that screw together in sections, though perhaps not as long as what you use.

You might try going to one of the larger hardware stores or looking online for hardware designed to give a strong screw-connection to thick doweling and just make your own.

This assumes that you were planning to check baggage anyway and were just concerned about the oversized aspect.

#198624 - 06/30/17 01:56 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: BrianLe]
PaHiker Offline

I've decided to give it a try, see if they stop me at the boarding ramp. If they do take it, maybe (like said above) they won't charge me.

#198625 - 06/30/17 03:04 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: PaHiker]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
You can do like I did for years and just find a straight tree branch of the right length and diameter. Not as nice as a commercial one but has worked for hundreds of years. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right one. I have tried and replaced them on a trip a few times when something better becomes available.

#198626 - 06/30/17 03:17 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: GrumpyGord]
PaHiker Offline

Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
You can do like I did for years and just find a straight tree branch of the right length and diameter. Not as nice as a commercial one but has worked for hundreds of years. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right one. I have tried and replaced them on a trip a few times when something better becomes available.

That's what mine is, but there are two problems. I've had this stick since my days in Scouting, and it comes from a tree near where I camped the last time I taught advanced skills; second problem is that I'm going into the desert SW, no trees, and they frown on using a saguaro for a hiking stick. ;-)

#198627 - 06/30/17 03:33 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: PaHiker]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
If it has sentimental value I sure would not take a chance on it being confiscated at the airport. Go to a local hardware store or lumber yard. Even a piece of PVC pipe with foam pipe wrap would work for one trip.

#198630 - 06/30/17 06:49 PM Re: Hiking staff [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with Gord--I woudn't risk losing something with sentimental value! Either get a collapsible or folding staff, or (as suggested) look for doweling or PVC pipe when you get there. I once used a broom handle (with worn out broom removed) as a hiking staff! I agree that desert flora, nearly all of which is prickly, will not make a very good hiking staff! lol

#198647 - 07/03/17 11:11 AM Re: Hiking staff [Re: GrumpyGord]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
That's what my kid does, but he can't resist the siren call of playing with sticks. laugh

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum