Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198536 - 06/22/17 02:45 PM A Womans help needed (Shoulder Pain)
SQWIB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Being a guy, I don't even know where or how to ask this question but I'll try

I took my daughter out for an over nighter and she loved it, her pack weight was comfortable, her pack was comfy, but she complained her shoulders were sore at the end of the trip, We figured it was her Bra strap digging into her neck from the pressure of the shoulder strap, what do you girls do.

Shes busty and a very tall thin build

#198540 - 06/22/17 06:47 PM Re: A Womans help needed (Shoulder Pain) [Re: SQWIB]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'm not a woman (and some would say not helpful, either smile ), but I do have a question: where did her shoulders hurt? Was it under the pack straps (could indicate the straps weren't properly adjusted) or somewhere else? Also, did she tell you whether the load felt like it was on her shoulders, instead of her hips (could indicate the hipbelt wasn't tight enough or some other adjustment wasn't set right.)

#198544 - 06/22/17 09:17 PM Re: A Womans help needed (Shoulder Pain) [Re: Glenn Roberts]
SQWIB Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
I'm not a woman (and some would say not helpful, either smile ), but I do have a question: where did her shoulders hurt? Was it under the pack straps (could indicate the straps weren't properly adjusted) or somewhere else? Also, did she tell you whether the load felt like it was on her shoulders, instead of her hips (could indicate the hipbelt wasn't tight enough or some other adjustment wasn't set right.)

She was carrying about 20 pounds, I adjusted the the pack and load straps on her. I could slide three fingers under each strap and the weight was minimal, most of the weight was on her hips and the pack was close to her back so it didn't feel like it was pulling on her.
Did you ever hike with a shirt that has the seam where the strap is and the top part of you shoulder it gets sore in that contact area where the seam pushes up against the bony part if your shoulder, it was sort of like that.
Hope I explained it right.

#198545 - 06/22/17 10:28 PM Re: A Womans help needed (Shoulder Pain) [Re: SQWIB]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
If it's her first backpacking/hiking trip ever, or in a very long time, then I think a bit of shoulder discomfort after it's over isn't all that unusual. It'll probably subside after a couple of more trips.

But, of course, it might not. I've been backpacking for quite some time now, and I still can get sore shoulders at times.

#198547 - 06/22/17 11:58 PM Re: A Womans help needed (Shoulder Pain) [Re: SQWIB]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Does she have a woman-specific pack? With her build, she'll need one.

Does her pack have load lifters? I have mine tight enough that my shoulder straps don't even touch the tops of my shoulders, which are extremely pressure sensitive. I've never had any problems with bra straps vs. the pack, but that's me.

It appears from the photo, although at that distance it's really hard to tell, that the sternum strap may be pulled too tight. That would put extra pressure on her collarbones. I rarely even fasten mine, although again that's me! If I do fasten it (in tight places where balance is important), I leave it pretty loose.

It's interesting that in the picture, your (if that's you in front) pack straps fit fairly wide on the shoulders, whereas hers are closer to her neck (and possibly on her collarbones). I wouldn't want my pack straps that far in on my body. Again, that's me. . . .

Can you take more pictures? Front, side, back, all closer up. That would give us a better idea of how the pack fits. It may be she needs a different make or model--pack fit is as individual as shoe fit, and there is no universal fitting pack, just as there's no shoe that fits everyone.

IMHO, she shouldn't have sore shoulders with a 20 lb. pack, if the pack fits properly.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/23/17 01:42 AM)

#198548 - 06/23/17 02:45 AM Re: A Womans help needed (Shoulder Pain) [Re: OregonMouse]
connor45 Offline

She might need a better fit back pack. I remember my first trip with sore shoulders due to not very fit back pack.

#198551 - 06/23/17 10:17 AM Re: A Womans help needed (Shoulder Pain) [Re: connor45]
SQWIB Offline

I adjusted the sternum strap out quite abit, any further out was uncomfortable.

She said everything was perfect except right where her bra strap was and only on one side.
I thought maybe the straps weren't even but everything looked good.
I may have her try again but add some extra padding in that area.

Tho other hiker is my son, thats a whole other story.

(I hope I'm not uploading these wrong)
My pack is a gorilla

These are a few of my hiking budies, they carry everything, I just cant do it.

#198556 - 06/23/17 01:30 PM Re: A Womans help needed (Shoulder Pain) [Re: SQWIB]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Like Glenn, I am not a woman and possibly not helpful, too. My first thought based on your description is she should get a sports bra. I think that would have less stuff to interfere with the shoulder straps. Of course I don't know if that is a bra style she finds comfortable.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum