Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197667 - 02/13/17 03:25 PM Day pack advise please
Coyote21 Offline

Loc: VT
Hi, I am new here but not new to hiking. I am a day hiker looking for a new pack. I have narrowed my choices down to 3 and I am hoping that someone here might have some experience with some of these and would be able to share your insights. I am currently looking at the Osprey Tempest 20, the Thule Capstone 32L and the Camelback Sequoia 22. They are all close in size, I am mostly interested in comfort. My current packs are frame less and hang heavily when loaded. The load lifting shoulder straps are a must. I intend to do a lot more hiking this year and really need to upgrade my equipment. Thanks in advance for any advise.

#197668 - 02/13/17 05:08 PM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: Coyote21]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
They are all name brand packs and most likely will work fine if it fits you. Fit is everything and what fits one person does not fit another. I would suggest trying them out in store or ordering all three from a company with an excellent return policy. Then try them out loaded up with the equipment you will be bringing with you. Only you can judge if the packs fits you and your equipment.

#197669 - 02/13/17 05:58 PM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: Coyote21]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
Personally, I'd insist on a semi ridgit frame. And a waist belt to help support/ stabilize any load for times when you're not tottally upright.Don't know if the models you listed have these features

#197670 - 02/13/17 07:15 PM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Coyote21 Offline

Yes they all have these things. After re-reading the specs I am leaning toward the Thule. It has adjustable lumbar support. It b is a few oz. heavier, but I am thinking it will make up for it in comfort.

#197671 - 02/13/17 07:18 PM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: BZH]
Coyote21 Offline

There are no hiking gear stores near me. Ordering all three is not really an option right now. If I could that would definitely be the thing to do. I think I will go with the one with the most adjustability. I believe that is the Thule.

#197684 - 02/15/17 10:16 AM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: Coyote21]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I recently selected my next daypack - just waiting on my REI dividend check to go shopping! Being an engineer, I suffer from an unquenchable need to use spreadsheets and data. I set up a comparison chart of 5 models in my price range that all had the amenities I desired. One of the factors I used to narrow down the list was a ratio of capacity (L) to weight (oz) and I eliminated anything that was lower than 1:1.

While this is not the deciding factor, it helped me trim some of the fat off the list - why do I want a pack that weighs more than others yet has less capacity? As other respondants mentioned, fit is everything - so whichever of my final 3 feels best will be my choice. I am now down to the final 2: Osprey Rev 24 and the Camelbak Pursuit 24. What might tip the balance is that the Osprey is available on clearance for 50% off at REI. Might be too hard to pass up.

Good luck!

#197736 - 02/20/17 07:01 PM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: dylansdad77]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
How much weight are you carrying in a "day pack" that you need load lifters and lumbar support??? Got a Flash 22 for my 10 yo son that I also use while biking and it would easily carry 12 pounds comfortably.

#197787 - 02/24/17 10:18 AM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: topshot]
Coyote21 Offline

I have never really weighed my pack full. I usually carry a water bladder, dslr camera, food, small first aid kit and this time of year, extra layers. I have a little arthritis in my back and shoulders and it is starting to bother my upper back to have my pack hanging with no support. That is why the load lifters are a must.

#197792 - 02/24/17 05:45 PM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: Coyote21]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
What you really need are stays or a really stiff back panel (plastic?) which will transfer the weight of the pack from your shoulders to the hip belt. Load lifters primarily take the pressure off the tops of your shoulders. Unfortunately, few manufacturers build a support system into their daypacks.

I need the load lifters because the tops of my shoulders are unusually pressure-sensitive. And I have the same issues you do, including lower back issues (which is why I need all the weight on my pelvic girdle, not my spine). Even with a 10-12 lb pack, I still need the support. Part of the aging process, I guess. Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't think that at least some of us need support in a day pack.

I went looking for a day pack a few years ago. In addition to needing the above features, I didn't want the day pack to weigh any more than my multi-day backpack, which is 29 oz. I also wanted the capacity (liters) in the upper 20s or very low 30s. No luck on that one! I still haven't found anything suitable, I did find out that my hips and Osprey hip belts are quite incompatible, and that if I want a woman specific daypack it will weigh almost twice as much as my big backpack. If I could just find my backpack (discontinued in 2006) in a smaller size. . . . In the meantime, at least for fall/winter/spring day hiking, I use my 40L backpack and pull the compression straps tight. It looks ridiculous, but I haven't been able to find anything better.

Good luck!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/24/17 05:55 PM)

#198134 - 04/13/17 12:59 AM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: OregonMouse]
Warren_G Offline

Loc: Saskatoon, Canada
You are getting good advice here. Another question is about your stature: I have a Mountain Hardware Fluid 26 that I really like because I am tall, but it has a semi rigid back plate so is not for a lot of weight. Last year I made the plunge to an Osprey Manta 36 with the AG suspension, I have not made a hike with it yet, but I love the suspension and quick tests around the house seem like it makes carrying a little more weight a breeze.If you are tall, a longer pack is nice for weight distribution. If a little shorter, the packs you have selected look like really good ones.

#198136 - 04/13/17 02:07 PM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: Warren_G]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I have a Osprey Stratos 24 that I've been using a few years and it does a good job of transferring heavier weights to my hips with it's alloy frame and cross struts. It's heavier than some at about 39 oz(for the large) but compensates in load carrying comfort plus it even has a built in rain cover which has come in usefull here in the Northwest.

It's always a question of weight versus comfort which is an important consideration with either a daypack or backpack.

#198388 - 05/27/17 10:30 PM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: Coyote21]
WKerber Offline

I'm new here as well, but have been hiking/backpacking for a little while. I just use an REI flash 22 for day hiking. I like side pockets for water bottles and snacks but other than that, I just need a dump bag with straps. It's just me and my dog and we do 7-10 miles every Saturday and Sunday. The State Park we hike is a series of loop trails, so we're never more than 2 miles from the car. However, I could get everything I need in it for 15 to 20 mile point to point hike as well. I probably wouldn't won't to carry more that 6-7 lbs in it for any length of time.

Edited by WKerber (05/27/17 10:37 PM)

#198835 - 08/03/17 02:47 AM Re: Day pack advise please [Re: Coyote21]
longhair29 Offline

Loc: Floridad
I would expand your search and take a serious look at both Gregory Mountain and Black Diamond series of Daypacks as I own models from both of these fine companies.

My favorite hands down is my Nitro 22 (Black Diamond) a zippered top loader because it has excellent organization, good hydration bladder option carry, and mostly important for the size and overall light weight it has a padded hipbelt, load lifters, etc. Internal plastic sheet and aluminum stay comes in two diff sizes and is very conforming to my back.

Backcountry.com easily has Thee best selection of Daypacks to purchase from a single store based in Utah. Moosejaw.com is another good company with wide selection. I recently bought (3) Mystery Ranch grocery packs sacks from them.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum