Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198385 - 05/27/17 06:34 PM longevity of freezed dry meals with a twist
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
the twist is I want to open about three to four days worth of meals before hitting the trailhead. the plan is to save weight and still eat well. Reclosing the inner plastic bag with a short section of scotch tape and all packed into a modest size plastic bag( should be "relatively" sealed from moisture as the ome bag was( and for the record I'll be removing the lil descant bag and tossing them as well). that is if the meals are wholesome enough to consume after 3>4days packed in this manor. any thoughts?

#198393 - 05/29/17 11:22 AM Re: longevity of freezed dry meals with a twist [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We do this all the time. It's standard procedure everywhere bear canisters are required, because it saves so much space.

We taken meals on a weeklong trip and had them left over. We then took them same meal on a trip weeks later. Still good.

One suggestion:leave the dessicant packet in the bag. It absorbs moisture, and moister is the only real potential problem.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#198394 - 05/29/17 02:07 PM Re: longevity of freezed dry meals with a twist [Re: balzaccom]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
thanks Balzaccom. this has sat unanswered ( or even poked fun at) for awhile. I was starting to think it was so outlandish an idea that readers musta thought the answer was apparent, and me the only one not in on it. lol. thanks I will try this, only I'll go for 7days.. and one descant pillow inside of the combined package.......of course, I'll report back after the hike

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (05/29/17 06:36 PM)

#198400 - 05/30/17 04:58 PM Re: longevity of freezed dry meals with a twist [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I've been thinking about this kind of thing lately with the Mountain House #10 cans. Once I open a can how long do I have to use it? (Also, how do make sure you get the proper mix from the fist to last meal scooped out of the can?) I think I found somewhere that MH recommends consuming within a week of opening. They report that some customers do things to make them last longer, but they haven't verified those options (vacuum seal, put in the freezer). I am thinking maybe I can purchase the desiccants separately to help keep them dry.

#198403 - 05/30/17 08:42 PM Re: longevity of freezed dry meals with a twist [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
The little packets inside the cans or packages are not necessarily desiccants. They are more likely Oxygen absorbers.

#198434 - 06/07/17 10:01 AM Re: longevity of freezed dry meals with a twist [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
I've got a twist on this twist and I have a related question.
I have repackaged before and noticed no difference, but on those occasions I used it within a couple weeks of repackaging.
Almost 2 years ago I repackaged a weeks worth of MH food shortly before a scheduled trip, making single servings. Each serving was put in a freezer zip-lock bag with 1 oxygen/dessicant pack included. When I didn't end up going, I put in all in a bear canister and figured I might be able to use it next time.
As it turns out (so far!), the next time will be in July and I'm wondering if the stuff is still good! I'm planning on trying a sample before I head out but thought, like waldo, that I'd post it to see if anybody else has experience with this issue.
I plan to post a follow-up on my results but am interested to hear your thoughts!!

Thanks!
Bill

#198439 - 06/07/17 02:37 PM Re: longevity of freezed dry meals with a twist [Re: HPD]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't eat commercial freeze-dried meals because of all the crud that's in there (the labels read like a chemistry set!). I cannot digest commercial freeze dried meals even when fresh! I have, however, used some bulk freeze-dried ingredients (meat, veggies) in the meals I have made up.

I have kept both these bulk ingredients and home-dehydrated food for a couple of years by storing the individual meal packages (in freezer bags) in the freezer, double-bagged (i.e. the individual meal packages stuffed into a gallon freezer bag. I haven't gotten sick, but I have noticed a loss of flavor in the ones kept two years! I therefore don't keep them more than a year. I also would be very dubious about repackaged food kept at room temperature. I'd suggest a lot of googling about storage of repackaged freeze-dried foods before even testing. Of course I suspect that there are enough preservatives in the meals to prevent serious contamination.

Testing meals at home is always a good idea! I've mentioned in the past my adventure with home-dehydrated peas (still like shotgun pellets after the rest of the meal had cooked to a mush)!

#198516 - 06/20/17 09:40 AM Re: longevity of freezed dry meals with a twist [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
I tried out 1 of my repackaged meals and while it was edible and didn't make me sick it tasted, as you said Mouse, stale. I will replace all I have with new.
Thanks for your input, Mouse!
Bill

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum