Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198072 - 04/06/17 03:55 PM Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West)
mbutler873 Offline

Loc: Ohio, United States
Summer is approaching and I am trying to plan a trip. I would prefer the destination to be within around 8 hours of Ohio and something that could be completed in 3-5 days total(including drive time). I'm a rather experienced hiker and believe I am in good enough shape to handle most hikes. I'm looking for something challenging, thrilling, and off the beaten path. Also, some sort of final destination (waterfall, rock formation, etc.) would be nice. I don't own any climbing gear so it would be nice if that wasn't a requirement.

If links and pictures could be provided that would be great.

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

#198215 - 04/26/17 09:19 AM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: mbutler873]
pcieluch Offline

You could consider the Superior Hiking Trail. This trail run 300 miles or so along Lake Superior. The north shore past Duluth MN has plenty of state parks and lost of great viewing. At least for the Midwest. Their is a shuttle service that runs up and down most of the trail past Two Harbors MN. You could leave your car at one trail head and walk to your last. Then get a shuttle ride back to your car. Plus the drive from Ohio could bring you across the UP of MI, which in itself is a great car ride with much to see along the way. You could do any amount of mileage you want to as the trail head are spaced rather closely. Google SHT and read about the trail if you wish.

#198218 - 04/26/17 04:19 PM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: mbutler873]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Hopefully you'll get an answer from Glenn Roberts, one of our moderators, who also lives in Ohio and has found a lot of places fairly close to home for backpacking. Or send him a private message!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/26/17 04:22 PM)

#198222 - 04/26/17 08:25 PM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: mbutler873]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Isle Royale National Park - in the middle of Lake Superior - superb! Gets about 10,000 visitors a year (Yellowstone - or Yosemite? - gets 10,000 a day?)
Grayson Highlands, on the AT, Damascus, VA - might not meet your requirements for "off the beaten path" but otherwise really nice.
Roan Highlands, on the NC/TN border, also on the AT - ditto about the beaten path.
Shenandoah National Park - more AT, plus some side trails, in the less-visited southern unit.
Dolly Sods, West Virginia - a bit more visited, but very pretty.
Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area - fairly popular, but not overcrowded (never been there myself, but a buddy really likes it.)
Zaleski Backpack Trail - in Ohio, near Athens; plenty long for a 2-3 night trip (3 loops let you adjust the length) - some fairly rugged walking, with a side trip to the Moonville railroad tunnel for interest. It's in Zaleski State Forest, which is a managed forest; keep an open mind, and you can learn how forests are "managed" for timber production and for minimizing disastrous fires.
Sheltowee Trace - runs from Kentucky's northern to southern border, and passes through some pretty country, including Cumberland Falls (home of the "Moonbow"), pretty units around London, KY, and the famed Red River Gorge (including some less-visited areas.)
And, lest we forget, Great Smoky Mountain National Park - call the backcountry rangers and tell them you want to go where the tourists aren't, and they'll gladly point you in the right direction.
Mammoth Cave National Park has a pretty backcountry that doesn't get a whole lot of use - but many of the trails are multi-use, including horses, so they're not as nice as a foot trail; also, I almost got run over by a mountain biker there once. Probably wouldn't be my first choice, but it's there.
I also sent you a Private Mail - click on the flashing envelope.

#198225 - 04/27/17 12:23 PM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: mbutler873]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
High Country Pathway near Gaylord MI 70 mile loop

Pictured Rocks at Munising MI 45 miles with shuttle available Busy

Any place on the North Country Trail.Look at the NCT Website

Get in touch with Trailspotters in UP he will have a lot of ideas and publishes a book. Does shuttles.

#198228 - 04/28/17 08:41 PM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: mbutler873]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By mbutler873
Summer is approaching and I am trying to plan a trip. I would prefer the destination to be within around 8 hours of Ohio and something that could be completed in 3-5 days total(including drive time). I'm a rather experienced hiker and believe I am in good enough shape to handle most hikes. I'm looking for something challenging, thrilling, and off the beaten path. Also, some sort of final destination (waterfall, rock formation, etc.) would be nice. I don't own any climbing gear so it would be nice if that wasn't a requirement.

If links and pictures could be provided that would be great.

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Big South Fork as Glenn mentioned is awesome. I haven't backpack it but I have explored it with day hikes. It's a rugged country that will blow you away with steep cliffs, interesting rock formations, waterfalls, a gorge with a wild and beautiful river, etc.

Mt. Roger Recreational Area as Glenn mentioned is pretty cool, although it tend to be crowded. I backpacked it Easter weekend and the crowd was minimal compared to the first time I went there. You will be greeted by ponies...

#198229 - 04/28/17 08:47 PM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: Glenn Roberts]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
I
And, lest we forget, Great Smoky Mountain National Park - call the backcountry rangers and tell them you want to go where the tourists aren't, and they'll gladly point you in the right direction.

They will tell you to come back in the winter. grin On a serious note, there is a couple options to avoid the crowd. You will likely run into backpackers, but you won't see a mob scene of tourists taking pictures for their Facebook page.

There's also western N.C. but that might go over your 8 hour requirement depending where you're in Ohio.

Edited by ETSU Pride (04/28/17 08:54 PM)

#198232 - 04/29/17 12:41 PM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: mbutler873]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
When I lived in S.W. Ohio, I used to visit the Red Rock Gorge area a lot. from what I remember, little in the way of other hikers/campers and it's part of the Daniel Boon N.F( runs from the Tenn state line to almost the W.V. line.. if you go to their site on line, think you could put together a multi day hike pretty easily.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (04/29/17 12:43 PM)

#198330 - 05/10/17 10:33 AM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: mbutler873]
Limited473 Offline

If you are wanting to stay on the East Coast I would defiantly recommend The Great Smoky Mountains. They have several back country options and it isn't too hard to get a permit. Day hikes I would recommend Clingmans Dome and Cades Cove areas.

https://youtu.be/IUeKF8r9dxE

#198348 - 05/12/17 10:09 PM Re: Need Trip Ideas(East Coast/Mid West) [Re: Limited473]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Monongahela National Forest West Virginia. Miles and miles of hiking. Rivers,lakes,waterfalls,trout fishing,cranberry bogs,flora and fauna of all types for starters.

Edited by tramp (05/12/17 10:09 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum