Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195208 - 05/03/16 12:46 AM Inspiring quotes
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Here are some of our favorite quotes about travel--which apply to hiking as well:

“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” from Ibn Battuta, the remarkable Arab who toured the known world 1200 years ago.

“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous

“The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – A great line that explains why large groups always travel slower, by Henry David Thoreau, who supposedly was roughing at Walden Pond. But his sister brought him fresh baked cookies every day...

“Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien. And we've wandered many times, on our trips.

“It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville--which is just the excuse you need to get off-trail and explore a little bit.

And an all-time favorite from Mark Twain: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195211 - 05/03/16 02:26 PM Re: Inspiring quotes [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I still like my sig line the best, although I now have to stick to easy trails. It's from Ed Abbeu's preface to Desert Solitaire, IMHO the finest piece of nature writing since Thoreau's Walden. In fact, better--frankly, I found Walden rather boring.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/03/16 02:30 PM)

#197830 - 03/01/17 10:37 AM Re: Inspiring quotes [Re: balzaccom]
Dia Offline

Loc: VA
So I know this thread is kind of old, but I love quotes! These were great! Some of my favorite travel quotes are:

"Travel far enough, you meet yourself." - Cloud Atlas
"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer."
"Fill your life with adventure, not things. Have stories to tell, not things to show."

#197835 - 03/01/17 12:53 PM Re: Inspiring quotes [Re: Dia]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
At times I think that people who feel that they've invented a quote have in fact just paraphrased something that they read or heard before, but forgotten about. So in that context I can't swear that I'm the author of this, but I think that I am (?) --- anyway, I don't recall hearing it elsewhere:

Sometimes you need to listen to your body. Sometimes you need to tell it to shut [the hell] up. Trail wisdom is knowing the difference between the two.

Of course this isn't limited to just backpacking, but I've found it particularly apt in that context!

#197842 - 03/01/17 05:50 PM Re: Inspiring quotes [Re: BrianLe]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
My own favorite is from Yogi: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Leads to some interesting trips.

Colin Flectcher always included several pages of quotes in his Complete Walker books.

#197845 - 03/01/17 07:54 PM Re: Inspiring quotes [Re: BrianLe]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By BrianLe
At times I think that people who feel that they've invented a quote have in fact just paraphrased something that they read or heard before, but forgotten about. So in that context I can't swear that I'm the author of this, but I think that I am (?) --- anyway, I don't recall hearing it elsewhere:

Sometimes you need to listen to your body. Sometimes you need to tell it to shut [the hell] up. Trail wisdom is knowing the difference between the two.

Of course this isn't limited to just backpacking, but I've found it particularly apt in that context!

A quick Google search says that it's yours, Brian...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#197848 - 03/01/17 11:34 PM Re: Inspiring quotes [Re: balzaccom]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I am an UL backpacker. When I was backpacking the skyline trail is Jasper Alberta I ran into a girl that had an 8 liter pack stuffed to the gills. I said " thats a huge pack" and she replied with the common phrase "go big or go home" lol I thought it was pretty clever of her to respond like that

#197854 - 03/02/17 12:03 PM Re: Inspiring quotes [Re: toddfw2003]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Balzaccom: thanks!

Todd: On the PCT a friend and I hiked for a while with a college-aged girl who had literally never even camped out overnight before she set out to thru-hike the PCT. Her trailname: "Go Big". I hiked with her in northern California; by that point at least, she had definitely figured out how to do it!

#197950 - 03/14/17 05:43 PM Re: Inspiring quotes [Re: balzaccom]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone" - attributed to Neale Donald Walsch, has always been a favorite.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum