Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197917 - 03/12/17 02:32 PM Solo tent selection guidance
OhioPaddler Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
I thought that I had this decision pretty well made, but then REI decided to have a sale. I'm just starting to get into backpacking after having done the camping and day hiking thing for a while now and am trying to decide which solo tent to buy. I only see myself using this tent for maybe one or two outings a year, and most likely for only 2-3 days at a time. Perhaps a 5-7 day trip on occasion with my backpacking club. Trips will be almost exclusively in the Ohio area or surrounding states between spring and fall. All other trips are going to be with my wife and son where we will be using our Marmot Limelight 3p.

I thought that I had decided on getting the North Face Stormbreak 1 due to it's simple design, good reviews and low cost. The second tent I'm looking at is the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 Mntglo which wouldn't even be on the radar except that REI has it on sale for 50% off. Spec wise the comparison isn't even close. The Copper Spur has a bigger footprint, is taller, has more vestibule area, packs smaller and is 13 oz. lighter. However, even at 50% off the Copper Spur ($240) is still almost double the price of the Stormbreak ($130). While buying the Copper Spur wouldn't be a financial hardship, I don't like spending more on something if I don't really need it. The Stormbreak is right at 3 1/2 lbs which is my upper limit and similar to what I carry with the Limelight 3p split between my wife and I. I guess I need guidance from people with more experience as to whether or not the Copper Spur is that much better of a tent and if I will notice a big difference between carrying the Stormbreak vs. the Copper Spur on the short and infrequent trips I will most often be taking.

My pack is a Klymit Motion 35 and my base weight would be right around 14 1/2 lbs. with the Stormbreak and typical 3-season gear. Additional non-essential items I might take would be a hammock or a Helinox Chair One.

#197918 - 03/12/17 02:49 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I am thinking that when you are out on the trail you will very much enjoy that lighter weight, bigger footprint, greater headroom, bigger vestibule and so on. You indicate that there is no real financial hurdle to spending the extra money. If there is a psychological hurdle, try comparing the cost of upgrading to the Copper Spur to the cost of a motel room for a couple of nights. That usually does it for me. grin

#197919 - 03/12/17 03:09 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: aimless]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Or by how the Copper Spur is less than half the price of a Cuben tent!

#197920 - 03/12/17 05:02 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Copper Spur, without question. Although I personally prefer the MSR Hubba series (strictly personal preference), I have owned a Copper Spur UL1 and found it to be a good tent. I had zero issues with it.

I remember when the original North Face was THE brand used by people who actually went outside. All of us budget conscious folks saved up for a TNF sleeping bag, tent, or pack - all were great, back in the day.

Now, after a decade of concentrating on fashion clothing only, the resurgent TNF gear line is (in my opinion), like their clothing, for people who want to look like they go outside. I've only seen one TNF tent in action - a friend had one, used it twice, got wet both times (once from rain, once from condensation), and foisted it off on some poor unsuspecting Boy Scout. It probably worked well enough for the car camping the troop did.

If you decide on the TNF, be sure the rainfly covers the tent completely - his had essentially a half fly, and a "waterproof" body on the uncovered half. The leak came when the breeze blew the rain under the fly and into the tent through the non-waterproof fabric of the other half of the tent. The fly didn't overlap onto the waterproof fabric enough to prevent the leak. He also had a problem with ventilation and condensation.

Spend the extra money on the Copper Spur. It's intended to really function outsider in bad weather. (I know this from several storms spent in mine.) I'd buy another one without a second thought.

#197921 - 03/12/17 07:17 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'll second Glen's thoughts, get a good tent. Without a good night's sleep backpacking is just an elaborate form of masochism. A good tent will keep you dry in almost all sorts of weather. A "price point" tent typically includes manufacturing short-cuts that both cut costs and reduce utility. You get what you pay for.
I have been using the same Big Agnes Fly Creek (2 lb) tent ($350) for nearly nine years now and I have never gotten wet while using it. It replaced a Sierra Designs Light Year ($200, 3 lb) that seldom kept me completely dry. The Fly Creek cost nearly twice what the Lightyear did but over nine years the cost difference was small compared with the difference in performance. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish😂

#197922 - 03/12/17 09:37 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: Pika]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
get the Six Moon Design Scout. weighs less than two pounds and is only $125

#197923 - 03/12/17 10:01 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: toddfw2003]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
That would be a good tent. I also have a friend who used a SMD tent (it may have been the lighter version of the Scout - as I recall, they made a regular, light, and ultralight version.) Like me, he hikes mostly in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee - the wet and humid Midwest.

It was well-made and, in good weather, the large side openings provided excellent ventilation. However, being essentially a single wall tent, it did not ventilate nearly as well when closed down (as in a rain storm.) He used it - with mostly no complaints - for a year or two, but recently replaced it with a double-wall Nemo Hornet 1 double-wall tent that weighs 2 pounds (costs about $330.) He says it's a little tight, but it's got lots of mesh and a full-coverage fly.

So, depending on where OhioPaddler is hiking, the Scout would be a viable option.

#197925 - 03/13/17 06:14 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OhioPaddler Offline

Well the North Face's ugly logo being plastered on the rain fly should be enough to knock it out of consideration in the first place, lol. However, it is consistently a 4 and 5-star rated tent, regardless of it's price which is why I was considering it.

The Six Moon Scout is intriguing. I'm a little worried about condensation, though. I tend to sleep with the fly deployed regardless of whether or not it is raining. In the reviews I have read a lot of people worried about condensation but then never really had an issue with it from what I can tell. Might have to do some more research. Great, thanks guys...now I'm further away from a decision than I was when I started grin

#197926 - 03/13/17 06:18 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I have been using a Tarptent Contrail here in Michigan for the last several years and have not really had a problem with it. Not very roomy but I manage to get myself and my pack inside but I am short.

#197927 - 03/13/17 10:04 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
First, let me say I am not familiar with the tents you're comparing but, I'll put my 2 cents in anyway.

"The Copper Spur has a bigger footprint, is taller, has more vestibule area, packs smaller and is 13 oz. lighter. However, even at 50% off the Copper Spur ($240) is still almost double the price of the Stormbreak ($130)."

Don't go cheap! Take advantage of the sale price. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

#197928 - 03/13/17 10:55 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: HPD]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
"Without a good night's sleep backpacking is just an elaborate form of masochism."

My favorite quote in quite a while, lol!

I have a Big Agnes UL 3 man (well 2.5 man) that weighs 3lb 4oz without the footprint. With many UL tents you really need a good ground cloth or footprint to protect the bottom of these things, and I thought I have been careful. It's been easy to patch, but still something to consider; wear and tear, and what you expect out of your tent.

My solo Six Moons Design Skyscape Trekker has a "beefier" bottom and has held up better in that sense and has room for my pack, boots, and all as well. I've had both tents for at least 5 years now. The one I have weighs a little over 1.5 lbs without a groundcloth.

#197942 - 03/14/17 01:32 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: GrumpyGord]
Steadman Offline

If we're open to broadening the tents being considered rather than narrowing to a choice between bargain tent and the better tent, I'll recommend a look at TarpTent's stuff.

I like my TarpTent Rainshadow 2. It's worked well with two adults in a storm, just me, and with up to 3 kids plus me (that was a little tight). Mostly used on the AT in the mid-Atlantic states. It did Ok out here in Bahrain the one time I got to use it (it was hard to set up in exposed windy conditions without help - but I think that's any tent) and I'll see how it does in Japan.

I'm in the market for a new one, and am looking at their two person designs (the MoTrail and Saddle 2 are the lead contenders right now) but I'm also looking at other manufacturers - not that I'm dissatisfied with what I've bought, but because it's fun to look.

#197956 - 03/14/17 07:06 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: Steadman]
toddfw2003 Offline

I use a Six Moon Design plus with polycro ground cloth. Can sleep me, my dog and my gear comfortably. Can also sleep twp people. only weighs a pound

#198156 - 04/16/17 06:01 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
Va3Pinner Offline

I have been very happy with a Tarptent Scarp1 for about 5 years. Used it in all kinds of weather. Plenty of room for me, two vestibules. Can set it up in bad weather and no rain gets inside. I've endured some pretty good storms in it. Has choice of mesh or solid interior, and exterior cross poles for winter use. Just upgraded mine with a bigger interior.
Tarptent makes some good stuff, and Henry Shires is extremely helpful with his product info.

#198454 - 06/11/17 12:55 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
OhioPaddler Offline

I ended up buying a SMD Skyscape Trekker when I finally found one in stock. Hope to get a chance to use it soon. Thanks to everyone and their suggestions!

#198457 - 06/12/17 06:34 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
toddfw2003 Offline

good choice. I am a huge fan of SMD. Thought I dont have the there workmanship in their gear is superb. I own one of their tarps

#198525 - 06/22/17 05:09 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: toddfw2003]
connor45 Offline

Looking to get one from Six Moon Design Scout, good to hear it's a choice here.

#204710 - 08/23/20 07:28 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
a_gunslinger Offline

Agreed - good tent, good night sleep, worth its weight in gold. Look for a light 2-person, or one with big vestibules. I am one of those who likes having my pack in vestibule right next to me. And a stated 2 person is often really comfortable for one person and their gear.

#204723 - 08/25/20 09:27 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
a_gunslinger Offline

Has anyone seen the Slingfin Portal? Pretty amazing and fairly light: https://www.slingfin.com/products/portal-2

#204745 - 08/28/20 12:16 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: Steadman]
Family Guy Offline

Originally Posted By Steadman
Or by how the Copper Spur is less than half the price of a Cuben tent!

And twice the weight.

#204746 - 08/28/20 12:17 AM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
Family Guy Offline

The Scout is an excellent choice for lightweight on a budget.

Good choice!

#204761 - 09/02/20 07:46 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: OhioPaddler]
Jack C. Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
If you already have a tarp, get a bivy. Borah Gear has a great bivy for $80. I don't think you can find a tent for that.

#204762 - 09/02/20 11:00 PM Re: Solo tent selection guidance [Re: Jack C.]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Bivy bag and tarp combos are not for everyone. A large percentage of those who try that approach decide it isn't what they want. For the bivy enthusiast this is hard to conceive. In terms of weight, solo tents are now so close to a bivy + tarp that weight is a fairly negligible factor. It comes down to personal style.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum