Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195254 - 05/05/16 06:56 PM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: BrianLe]
Danmaku Offline

Loc: IL
For people that need it, sleeping aids are fine if dosed correctly. When people wake up groggy or bring a lighter bag because ‘the pills keep them warm’ they are suffering from mild overdosing effects. Over-chilled or groggy mornings are not things that I want to deal with on my hikes.

But I’m in no position to judge anyone: My personal sleeping aid is a few sips off the flask wink

#196134 - 07/23/16 10:02 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: Danmaku]
KIB1288 Offline

Loc: New England, USA
I do not sleep well, even in my own bed. I don't understand the "cheating" comment about sleep aids. What are people who use them cheating at?

For those who use earplugs, what brand? I have tried a few and they don't work for me, the snoring gets through, they fall out, etc. MP3 player works for me sometimes.

Thanks.

#196182 - 07/29/16 10:10 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: KIB1288]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I think if you have to use sleep aids you arent really getting rest and most of the time it will zap your energy the next day. Cutting out stuff like caffeine and going to bed and waking up the same time every day can make a difference

#196209 - 08/02/16 01:00 PM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: toddfw2003]
Snappypepper Offline

I tend to agree with Heather-ak. Camping is a necessary evil for me. I am a side/belly sleeper at home and that's difficult in a sleeping bag. I often take 1/2 of a Unisom to help me sleep and I feel totally fine in the morning. Benadryl does not help me sleep, and I do feel awful the day after taking it, so maybe the people who have a "hangover" are just taking the wrong thing for them? Anyway, to each their own, HYOH and all. But if I'm in a group and people can't get moving the next morning, that WOULD be annoying.

#196258 - 08/06/16 08:49 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: Snappypepper]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By Snappypepper
I tend to agree with Heather-ak. Camping is a necessary evil for me. I am a side/belly sleeper at home and that's difficult in a sleeping bag. I often take 1/2 of a Unisom to help me sleep and I feel totally fine in the morning. Benadryl does not help me sleep, and I do feel awful the day after taking it, so maybe the people who have a "hangover" are just taking the wrong thing for them? Anyway, to each their own, HYOH and all. But if I'm in a group and people can't get moving the next morning, that WOULD be annoying.

Unisom is Benadryl. Same active ingredients

#196259 - 08/06/16 11:57 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: toddfw2003]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Originally Posted By toddfw2003
Originally Posted By Snappypepper

Ooo, sounds like a mental thing. It helps you sleep because you believe it helps you sleep, or it doesn't help you sleep because you believe it doesn't help you sleep. Of course, there's always more to it than that, but it's interesting to consider.

#196260 - 08/06/16 12:03 PM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: toddfw2003]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW

Depends on the Unisom. Some have the same antihistamine as Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl), and some have a different antihistamine (Doxylamine succinate).

#196265 - 08/06/16 12:56 PM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: JustWalking]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've tried antihistamines, the basis of all OTC sleep aids. I go to sleep but then wake up several hours later with my heart pounding, almost like a panic attack. Then I don't go back to sleep at all.

With an "old lady bladder," I'm up 2-3 times during the night anyway. If I'm not feeling sleepy, I may stay up for a while and watch the stars--so spectacular when away from the lights of civilization!

If I have a short night, I just push through the next day, knowing that I'll sleep well the following night. I've also been known to take an hour's nap during the day. There's nothing that will produce insomnia more easily than lying awake worrying about not getting enough sleep!

#196268 - 08/06/16 08:38 PM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: Barefoot Friar]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
Benadryl only makes me sleepy during the day. I am supposed to carry some all the time for allergies, but I can't take it very often without getting extremely drowsy in the middle of the day. I try to stay away from it unless I absolutely have to. The non-drowsy antihistamines do little or nothing for me (for allergies, not sleeping).

#196273 - 08/07/16 12:08 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: JustWalking]
Snappypepper Offline

Originally Posted By JustWalking

Depends on the Unisom. Some have the same antihistamine as Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl), and some have a different antihistamine (Doxylamine succinate).

Thank you! Yes, the version I take, which is generic, is the Doxylamine succinate. Bendadryl makes me groggy but doesn't induce sleep like the active ingredient in the med I use. I go through a box of 32 of them in about 6 months, so they aren't something I take all that often, usually when traveling or trying to ensure sleep happens at a specific time for a specific reason.

#197704 - 02/17/17 01:22 PM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: SC Forester]
Dia Offline

Loc: VA
I used to have this issue when I first started backpacking, but opted for drinking chamomile tea and using my essential oil necklace with a couple of drops of lavender. It seemed to calm me enough to get to sleep.

#197767 - 02/22/17 07:53 PM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: rockchucker22]
Mister13 Offline

Loc: Utah
No prescription needed in colorado, washington, or california, just of legal age

#198146 - 04/15/17 12:53 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: bobito9]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
For me, ear plugs are a sleep aid when camping. Jimshaw

#198153 - 04/16/17 02:27 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Hi, JIm, haven't heard from you in a while! Welcome back!

#198180 - 04/19/17 02:36 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi Mouse, glad you're still here.

#204733 - 08/25/20 10:35 AM Re: Sleeping aids? [Re: Danmaku]
a_gunslinger Offline

Originally Posted By Danmaku
For people that need it, sleeping aids are fine if dosed correctly. When people wake up groggy or bring a lighter bag because ‘the pills keep them warm’ they are suffering from mild overdosing effects. Over-chilled or groggy mornings are not things that I want to deal with on my hikes.

But I’m in no position to judge anyone: My personal sleeping aid is a few sips off the flask wink

Agreed. Any over the counter sleep aid. The dosing says take 1-2. I occasionally just take just 1/2. It doesnt leave you groggy in morning and the sleep you get is very restful.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum