Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197552 - 01/30/17 05:20 PM Island in the Sky, The Needles, Moab, and BLM
mrfritz44 Offline

So, as I hinted on a previous post we're still planning a trip into Denver in May, but instead of a Rocky Mt. climb based on advice and warnings given here, our destinations are unknown. However, on the list are possible visits to Island in the Sky, The Needles, and Moab. We would also like to be somewhat free spirited and understand general locations that offer scenic BLM camping.

Our general route will take us from Denver west through Grand Junction, south along 191 to Monticello, and then east on 160 back towards Denver. The route is by no means firm, but seems feasible over the course of 8 days with some time to explore.

We plan to rent a 4WD vehicle so that mild off-road excursions are an option. Mountain biking in Slick Rock, Moab, is also on the tentative list. Backpacking and tent camping is preferred in remote, scenic locations with vistas. We will no doubt do some day hikes, and we'd prefer to avoid the need for permits unless there's a good chance of easily acquiring one the afternoon before the night we plan to use it.

We'd love to hear some tips you might have from places to stay to attractions we must see.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Fred

#197577 - 02/02/17 04:18 PM Re: Island in the Sky, The Needles, Moab, and BLM [Re: mrfritz44]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
Hi Fred!
I would tend to agree with Topshot regarding the Lost Creek Wilderness, at least if you're talking late May. But moving on, the Moab area is a great choice! May could be pretty warm depending on when in May you're planning to be there. April and October seem to be the most popular times in Moab.
Have you ever been there before, Fred?

#197580 - 02/02/17 09:34 PM Re: Island in the Sky, The Needles, Moab, and BLM [Re: HPD]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
The needles district is pretty awesome. I love canyonlands but it gets a little crowded. The needles is probably one of the prettier parts of Canyonlands. There isnt a lot of great backpacking in Moab because most of the trails allow Mnt bikers. There is one trail that has a pretty arch and only allows hikers. The Spot is called Negro Bill Canyon. You can actually do a loop. You would need to study the maps. There are a few other canyons connecting. If you want to get remote look at The Grandstaircase down Hole in the Rock road. The Neon Canyon/ Choprock Canyon are pretty awesome. You will be hiking down into the Escalante River Canyon which is also impressive. Also the Boulder mail trail to Death Hollow Loop. Super remote and impressive. Trachyte Creek area is pretty and very remote. Look at Lower Maidenwater Canyon. Also on the west side of Canyonlands is Horeshoe Canyon and Blue John canyons. ( where John Ralston cut his arm off) This area doesnt get a lot of people. Mostly serious Canyoneering people. I have spent years exploring southern Utah

#197585 - 02/04/17 06:51 AM Re: Island in the Sky, The Needles, Moab, and BLM [Re: mrfritz44]
mrfritz44 Offline

Yes, I was there once in what amounted to a flyby. We did a day hike to Druid Arch which was impressive, and we spent a day wandering around Arches NP. I need to spend some serious time there based on our experience, but it wasn't in the cards the week we were out there in 2014.

I'm "Google Earthing" these locations now and will try to find the locations mentioned.

Question: Are any there any remote spots you would recommend that would allow us to get out of the car, set up a tent and build a fire for the night? We plan to lix up our time with some car camping as well as backpack trips into backcountry areas.

Thanks again for your help,

Fred

PS: No Neon or Choprock Canyons on Google Earth. Will search online. Found them online!

What can you tell me about the Cathedral Valley loop? This looks like a prefect truck camping destination, at least from my chair, albeit far at 67 miles from the Rt 24 entrance to the Rt 24 exit farther south.

Edited by mrfritz44 (02/04/17 07:13 AM)

#197586 - 02/04/17 11:29 AM Re: Island in the Sky, The Needles, Moab, and BLM [Re: mrfritz44]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
It's a very different place!
I have not done any remote camping there but have heard a few things about it. Remote can be very remote in Canyonlands. I believe there are campsites like you're looking for but I don't know about a fire. I do know that you'd have to bring the wood, cause there ain't none out there.

When I camped there, it was along the Colorado River, in one of the BLM CGs, NE of Moab. They've all been recently revamped and are pretty nice, but none of them have water.
While there we hiked in Arches, Negro Bill Canyon, as toddfw2003 mentioned, and also Corona Arch. All were good hikes though Arches was very crowded!

Don't know about Capitol Reef, only experience I've had there was a drive-by.

The BLM has lots of CGs scattered about, I'd suggest checking with them and Canyonlands about your specific requirements unless someone here has some better info for you.

Good luck, hope your plan comes together!
Bill

#197597 - 02/06/17 02:15 PM Re: Island in the Sky, The Needles, Moab, and BLM [Re: mrfritz44]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Most of the BLM land you can camp and build a fire anywhere

Neon Canyon 37.607160, -111.167722
Chop rock canyon 37.627647, -111.179866

I have not hiked Catherdral Valley. I think it is in Coral reef or north of it. I think that is where they filmed Westworld. Mualey twist is nice in Coral reef. Most of Utah is BLM land. You can camp and build a fire just about anywheres

Edited by toddfw2003 (02/06/17 02:41 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum