Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197288 - 12/27/16 01:41 PM Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
This year, I planted potatoes and most root crops in sorta raised boxes, shallow boarded in containers with hardware cloth bottoms. Too successful this year, tons of fingerling spuds, even after selling some, my fridge runneth over. I got off my lazy behind and made some cages to go around some young maples I had planted over 10 years ago, or what the deer left me after all this time. They seemed to find every tree and nibble the new growth, killing some trees since they then had no leaves. Most of the trees did very good this year, but. This Fall I've noticed a couple trees disappeared, gophers are all over my acre, even down by the creek that flows thru my place. Can't win.
Duane

#197307 - 12/29/16 06:50 AM Re: Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t [Re: hikerduane]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I've heard spuds make good moonshine. Not that I'm advocating you illegally distill spirits or anything. smirk

#197760 - 02/22/17 01:08 PM Re: Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t [Re: hikerduane]
Dia Offline

Loc: VA
Well at least you had one crop come out successfully. With regards to the gophers, a friend of mine uses a solar gopher deterrent. I think it is called The Solar SafeGuard (don't hold me to that). It repels gophers, moles, and snakes among other things.

#197849 - 03/01/17 11:35 PM Re: Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t [Re: Dia]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Creek flooded, but no loss of my trees.
Duane

#198990 - 08/30/17 12:19 AM Re: Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t [Re: Dia]
TravelGenesi Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida
Originally Posted By Dia
Well at least you had one crop come out successfully. With regards to the gophers, a friend of mine uses a solar gopher deterrent. I think it is called The Solar SafeGuard (don't hold me to that). It repels gophers, moles, and snakes among other things.

I'll take note of this. This may come in handy in the future. smile

#199062 - 09/10/17 02:53 PM Re: Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t [Re: PerryMK]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Originally Posted By PerryMK
I've heard spuds make good moonshine. Not that I'm advocating you illegally distill spirits or anything. smirk

It's only illegal if ya sell it or make more than 200 gallons yearly.

Edited by tramp (09/10/17 02:54 PM)

#199112 - 09/15/17 07:28 PM Re: Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t [Re: tramp]
PerryMK Online   content

Originally Posted By tramp
Originally Posted By PerryMK

It's only illegal if ya sell it or make more than 200 gallons yearly.

In Florida that's the rule for beer, but spirits require a license for any amount. As I recall the license runs $4000. Ridiculous! There is an exemption for biofuel but you'd better have an engine running on alcohol to make your case.

According to a cop friend of mine it's like blocking your license plate with a bicycle on a bike rack. Technically it's illegal but practically cops have better things to do with their time.

Of course you are selling the spirits they get upset for not getting their taxes and then cops do get interested.

#199137 - 09/20/17 01:32 AM Re: Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You can still find moonshine here that's homemade. It's usually not for sale, technically, but you can find it. Some of what I've tasted is pretty darn good too and now there are a couple small distilleries here that sell it legally. One of my daughters worked at the first one that opened here and we all learned a lot about how it's made then.

One of the things we learned is you can take any old `shine and run through an activated charcoal filter a few times and you have really good `shine. This is not so different than "double" or "triple" distilling, and actually even better. Same with Vodka, which is pretty much `shine made with potatoes instead of corn.

So, if you go to the liquor store and buy cheap vodka and filter it a few times you now have pretty much the same thing as "Patron", and more money in your pocket.

This is where my daughter worked.

"You want to go where?"

#199138 - 09/20/17 06:20 AM Re: Small trees, attacked from above, now from below t [Re: billstephenson]
PerryMK Online   content

When I toured the Jack Daniels Distillery 20+ years ago they talked about the wood they charred and used for filtering and how they didn't know how why this made a better whiskey. My friend and I, both chemists, laughed and offered to explain it to him.

It's a common misconception that vodka is made from potatoes. Most vodka is made from grains. I learned this touring the vodka museum just outside Moscow a few years ago but I'm sure google can verify.

Ultimately if one just wants ethanol and water whether for whiskey, moonshine, vodka, etc. just about any plant that can be fermented will do.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum