Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197192 - 12/15/16 12:02 AM backpacking in Saguaro National Park?
bobito9 Offline

My niece is probably going to be working a seasonal NPS job in Saguaro Jan to Apr or May, and I want to visit her and do some backpacking, either in the Park or in adjoining wilderness areas. Anybody have any experience there? I guess I'll visit either March or April, but the mountains appear to be fairly high, 7000-8000', so would snow/cold be a problem? Any trails to recommend?
Thanks!

#197194 - 12/15/16 09:27 AM Re: backpacking in Saguaro National Park? [Re: bobito9]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I usually make 2-4 trips a year in the Rincon Mountains of Saguaro National Park. My preferred time of the year is March through mid-May. Like most of the "Sky Island" ranges of the desert southwest, water is a major issue and early spring is the time of the year when water is most likely available. Autumn, after the summer rains is another good time for a visit.

In spring, snow is not likely to be much of an issue; I have seldom seen significant snow accumulations outside of late December through February and even in this time window 2" - 4" would be the norm but bare ground is more likely. It can get cold in the mountains though. If nighttime temperatures in Tucson are in the high 20's, then it can be as cold as 15 F in the higher elevations.

For weather patterns in the SE Arizona mountains you can check Weather Underground reports for Summerhaven, AZ or Mt. Lemmon, AZ. Both of these stations are about 8000' in the Santa Catalina mountains but are close to the Rincons and have similar weather. You can also call the visitors center for Saguaro National Park East and get a report of water availability (not always super reliable).

I would recommend either the trail to Douglas Springs or the Tanque Verde trail to Juniper Basin as overnighters. For longer trips, both of these trails continue on to Manning Camp and can be made into loop trips. Camping is only in designated sites which can make planning a little tough. A permit is required. You can get backcountry info on line regarding trails and campsites.

Car vandalism is a problem at the Douglas Springs trailhead but you can easily take a cab from Tucson to the trailhead and summon a cab from the trailhead; there is cell phone coverage there.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more specific information.

#197202 - 12/16/16 09:47 PM Re: backpacking in Saguaro National Park? [Re: Pika]
bobito9 Offline

Thanks Pika. When is the wildflower season? I suppose it varies a lot with the elevation.
Are there any other reasonably nearby areas you would recommend? My niece may want to go backpacking somewhere other than the Park with me on her days off, seeing as how she'll be spending all her working time there.

#197799 - 02/25/17 06:04 PM Re: backpacking in Saguaro National Park? [Re: Pika]
bobito9 Offline

Hi Pika (or anyone else who replies). Any suggestions on the reliability of backcountry water sources at Douglas Spring Campground and Juniper Campground (and along the trails) April 1-3? I hear it has been a wet year there. I enter at Douglas Spring TH and exit Tanque Verde. Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing a new place!

#197807 - 02/27/17 08:07 AM Re: backpacking in Saguaro National Park? [Re: bobito9]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Usually there is water available at the designated campsites through April. So, there should be water at Douglas Springs and Juniper Basin. Be sure you know where to look for the water. If you plan to go as far as Maning Camp there is almost always water there. But, I recommend that you call Saguaro National Park East and ask about water at the campsites; they keep,a record of hiker water reports. There is no water between the trailhead and Douglas Springs unless it has rained recently. The same between Douglas Springs amd Cow head Saddle and along the Tanque Verde Ridge Trail except at Juniper Basin. There are a few intermittent streams as one approaches Manning Camp if you are going that way. I generally carry a spare liter when I hike in the Rincons.

#197821 - 02/27/17 10:36 PM Re: backpacking in Saguaro National Park? [Re: Pika]
bobito9 Offline

Thanks Pika. Looking forward to seeing the area!
By the way, I tried to PM you about this but got a message that your box wasn't accepting more messages.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum