Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197035 - 12/04/16 01:27 PM has anyone seen Purinize water treatment
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
suppose to get rid of viruses, bacteria and chemicals from water. those who use it I am interested in what you think. Suppose to make anything but water clump together and then fall to the bottom. Then you can just filer it with a coffee filter https://www.purinize.com/

#197036 - 12/04/16 03:03 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: toddfw2003]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Before I entrust my health to a "proprietary combination of complex [unidentified] mineral salts" (or anything else), I'd like to see independent laboratory verification from other than the manufacturer's website! I didn't see anything on the manufacturer's website about EPA approval, either, meaning, of course, that the product hasn't been approved.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/04/16 08:48 PM)

#197041 - 12/04/16 07:15 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
toddfw2003 Offline

Looks like it might be good for remove heavier debris. I am doing a 3 day trip new years. The only source of water is mucky pond water. Im going to try it with that and then filter it

#197042 - 12/04/16 09:00 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: toddfw2003]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
The most common inorganic coagulant is Alum. It has been used to clarify turbid water prior to treatment. If you add a bit of Alum to a bucket of turbid water, mix it and then let it stand for a while, the solids will settle out and the clarified water can be decanted. Most water treatment plants use a coagulation/flocculation process prior to filtration and disinfection. For back country water, it's easier to use an Alum Solution in a dropper bottle than to try to use crystals. I suppose that Alum is more commonly used while canoeing where there is ample water, but the water is turbid. The water will still have to be disinfected before it is safe to drink.

#197043 - 12/05/16 12:00 AM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: wgiles]

Yes, alum is often recommended for removing glacial silt (which can wreak horrors on filters) before filtering. You can achieve the same results by letting the water sit for a few hours so the silt settles to the bottom of your container. In this case, using chlorine dioxide tablets (which also take a few hours), rather than filtering, is feasible.

#197044 - 12/05/16 12:34 AM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
toddfw2003 Offline

Make sense. while backpacking in banff my filter clogged fast because of so much rock flour in the water

#197046 - 12/05/16 12:10 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: toddfw2003]

I'm indebted to our long-time member phat, whose home territory is the Canadian Rockies, for the above!

#197069 - 12/07/16 12:05 AM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I am going to have to disagree on settling out glacial silt. Much of the glacial "silt" is not really silt, but finer particles in suspension and cannot be settled out. Settling the water will be helpful for your filter, but it will still get clogged with suspended solids. Same goes for organics that are in suspension. Coagulants make those non-settling particles glom together and become big enough to settle out or to attach to the coagulant chemically. That is why coagulation works.

#197107 - 12/08/16 09:33 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: wandering_daisy]
toddfw2003 Offline

so that purinizer would work?

#197113 - 12/09/16 01:17 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: toddfw2003]

Just pick up some alum; it's cheaper!

#197129 - 12/10/16 08:34 AM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: toddfw2003]
wgiles Offline

From what I see on the Purinize site, I wouldn't touch the stuff. I think that it is probably Alum in water solution. A lot of claims, no proof. If it is Non-Toxic, it won't kill pathogenic bacteria or protozoans. Flocculants are not disinfectants. Alum is cheap and readily available, although you might have to go to a farm store to find it. Settling and decanting can reduce the disinfectant demand or help prevent filter clogging. It will require carrying more stuff, which may be worthwhile if turbidity is a real problem.

http://www.iwapublishing.com/news/simple-options-remove-turbidity

#197130 - 12/10/16 08:43 AM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: wgiles]
wgiles Offline

A Youtube video on Alum flocculation on the Green River:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9BY69KnzoU

It makes sense for canoeing, but carrying a five gallon pail on a backpacking trip might not be fun. If I were to try to do this, I would use a collapsing bucket like the Sea to Summit folding bucket and a few feet of plastic tubing to make a siphon to decant the clarified water.

#197137 - 12/10/16 12:27 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: wgiles]

The other use for flocculation when backpacking is if you're where all the streams come from glacial sources and are therefore silty. If you're where there are plenty of both glacial and non-glacial streams, you just need to pick the clear streams for filtering.

If I were where glacial streams were the only choice, I'd do the settling bit and use chlorine dioxide treatment, since both require several hours and can be done simultaneously. This of course requires planning ahead on water, and probably carrying more at a time. Forget the filter in that case--as W_D says, even after settling, there will still be enough glacial silt left in the water to clog a filter.

Floccculation does not remove any nasty organisms or chemical impurities, which is why I wouldn't bother with this "purinize" stuff.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/10/16 12:29 PM)

#197138 - 12/10/16 02:23 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
wgiles Offline

I ran across a paper that talks about using natural polymers to replace alum as a flocculant. One of the natural flocculants that they mentioned was Tapioca Starch. The idea of using Tapioca Starch as a flocculant is intriguing, but I don't know that I want to spend the time to test it.

#197139 - 12/10/16 03:32 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: wgiles]

That's similar to reactions to Spam (mine) and fruitcake (several others) on another current thread here! Yech! lol

Wouldn't you have to cook the mixture?

#197140 - 12/10/16 05:16 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
wgiles Offline

There appears to be quite a bit of literature relating to the use of starch based polymers in water treatment, but most of this literature refers to acid or alkaline processed starches and it is not at all clear how they are making them. I think that I will stick with alum.

#197151 - 12/12/16 12:50 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: wgiles]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I suspect this stuff is Alum with ClO2 or other similar purifier. I don't know enough chemistry to determine if the two would counteract each other. It's possible they have done the research and found an optimized combination. Without independent confirmation that the stuff is effective I wouldn't trust that that is the case.

#197152 - 12/12/16 03:59 PM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: BZH]
wgiles Offline

Mixing a flocculant with a Chlorine disinfectant is generally not a good idea. It's best to clarify the water before adding the Chlorine. Clarified water reduces the Chlorine demand, but also reduces the production of Trichloromethane (Chloroform). Trihalomethanes are formed when algae is present when Chlorine disinfectants are used. The EPA frowns on the use of Chlorine disinfectants prior to flocculation and decantation.

#197159 - 12/13/16 12:37 AM Re: has anyone seen Purinize water treatment [Re: wgiles]
toddfw2003 Offline

Im not sure if I would trust it to drink without filtering. In Texas most of the streams are murky/ I will use it do get rid of all the particals in the water before I filer. The bottle I bought only is 2oz. I am doing a 3 day trip in a few week. Its just a 4 mile hike in and base camp near a pound. I will use it for the pound water

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum