Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196870 - 10/30/16 01:20 PM Alternatives to Osprey Exos?
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
REI is going to have a sale next week, so I was checking out their backpacks and doing research. Can any of you suggest alternatives to the Osprey Exos 48?

I'm an armature hiker, maybe three trips per year, fair weather.

Sierra Nevada, no more than 5 miles in a day, 1 to 3 nights. I'll use my huge Kelty110 for week-long excursions (the length of Desolation Wilderness for example).

Budget is $200.

Normally I'd just use my big Kelty Redcloud 110, but I now have plantar fasciitis, my right foot is currently broken, and I'm not as young as I used to be, so I'm trying to get under 30lbs with a comfort item or two. I'm down to a 3lb tent, and a 2lb sack, and the Exos will shed three lbs off my backpack.

I'm 6'2", and I *think* my torso is 41.25 21.25". I have no idea how people get exact measurements. In any event, that length indicates I should get a "Large" Osprey.

Durability is important to me, as I can't imagine dragging cottage industry gear over granite slabs here in the Sierras.

So... having read all that, and supplied all the "read before posting" information, what's a list of alternatives to checkout?

thanks!

edfardos

Edited by edfardos (10/31/16 02:11 PM)

#196874 - 10/31/16 12:05 AM Re: Alternatives to Osprey Exos? [Re: edfardos]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 and Osprey Kestrel 48 leap to mind. A bit heavier, both a bit over 3 pounds, but the materials are a bit sturdier and the suspensions a bit beefier. I've used both and like both; get the one that fits better.

I've also used the Exos 48, and I don't find it comfortable with more than 25 pounds in it, so if you're trying for a 30 pound, be wary of the Exos - I don't believe it's got the suspension for it. (l'm 66, and am not sure how experienced I am - I've been at this for 35 years, but I'm never sure whether I've got 35 years' experience or one year's experience 35 times.)

Unless you're somewhere north of 7 feet tall, I doubt that you have a 41 inch torso - I'm hoping that was a typo, and should be 21 inches. I have a torso of 20-21 inches (call it 20.5); both of the packs I mentioned have adjustable suspensions, and should work for you. By the way, you find out what your torso is by going to a good store and having someone measure it - from your C7 vertebrae (the bump at the bottom of your neck) to the top of you hip girdle, as I recall. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) REI usually does a good job; so does a good local shop.

#196878 - 10/31/16 01:15 PM Re: Alternatives to Osprey Exos? [Re: edfardos]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One of the many useful articles on the home page of this site explains how to measure your torso length. However, please find someone to do it for you; every time I've tried to measure myself, I've had wildly different results every time.

If you have any respect for your gear, or the $$$ you've put into it, you won't be dragging it on the ground or over logs or rocks! I do have lightweight gear, and my pack (1 3/4 lbs, a long-since-discontinued model from Six Moon Designs) has held up fine for the past 10 years and will probably last another 10, if I live that long. Please pick it up, don't drag it!

#196881 - 10/31/16 02:14 PM Re: Alternatives to Osprey Exos? [Re: edfardos]
edfardos Offline

fantastic, thanks guys, I'm researching your suggestions now. My base load would be 22.8lbs, so I'm easily at 30lbs with clothes/food/water. How does the Exos suspension fail at that weight? hips? shoulders? other?

#196885 - 10/31/16 07:37 PM Re: Alternatives to Osprey Exos? [Re: edfardos]

First, I've talked to people (mostly younger and fitter than me) who say they notice no problems with a 30 pound load in the Exos. So keep in mind that this is my opinion, based purely on subjective experience, and is not gospel about this pack.

I find that, above 25 pounds, I can't keep the hipbelt cinched tightly enough to keep it from sliding down my hips, or trying to double over. This lets the pack slide down, which means the shoulder straps and load lifters don't function properly because I can't keep the load on my hips and off my shoulders. It also feels like the pack tends to collapse onto the trampoline suspension and push against my back. In short, the suspension just sort of stops working for me.

As I said, that's my experience - it may not be the same as others' experience.

#196887 - 11/01/16 10:57 AM Re: Alternatives to Osprey Exos? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
edfardos Offline

Thanks for the additional observations on the Exos. I've seen video reviews with similar concerns. Does it feel like there's no padding in the hip belt after a while? As if the 1.5" nylon strap is the only thing in contact with your torso? Reviews also indicate 25lbs is a reasonable maximum, not the listed 30lbs. others say 30lbs is no problem.

I just did another weigh-in and I'd be at 23lbs without food/water/clothes. I know it's borderline. Think the hip belt would bother me after 5 hours? I really want to make the Exos work, as the next step in comfort is the Atmos, which weights a lot more.

I'm lightening to overcome plantar fassiitis, and a currently busted foot, plus it's fun and more convenient with lighter loads.

cool,

-edfardos
(original poster)

#196892 - 11/01/16 07:36 PM Re: Alternatives to Osprey Exos? [Re: edfardos]

In the 20-25 pound range, I never had any problem with the carry - the hipbelt and shoulder straps were comfortable for the entire day. That was usually a 9 or 10 hour day: 8 hours of walking, with a 15 minute pack-off break mid morning and mid afternoon, and a half hour or hour in the middle of the day for lunch (and maybe a nap?) So, while I've worn it for 8 hours a day, I've never worn it for more than 2 or 3 hours at a stretch.

The Atmos is comfortable, but if you're in that low-20s weight range, it's "weigh" overkill. smile

#196900 - 11/03/16 10:41 AM Re: Alternatives to Osprey Exos? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
edfardos Offline

Thanks Glenn, The contents of my pack are down to 20lbs, with no food/water/clothes/backpack. Adding those things will put me over 25lbs, but I'll take your advice and draw the line there. Seem reasonable?

If I need 30lbs, i'll use my big/heavy/comfy kelty pack.

thanks,
-edfardos

#196904 - 11/03/16 06:01 PM Re: Alternatives to Osprey Exos? [Re: edfardos]

I sent you a private message

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum