Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196801 - 10/19/16 07:46 PM light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I had to carry a bear container last time I went out for the better part of a week. I know there is good reason for that, but my usual (REI Flash)50 liter pack wasn't big enough and the container didn't strap on or fit in it hardly at all. So I went back to my large (80 L or 5000 cu in?) Jan Sport pack that weighs more than 4 pounds. It worked very well, has lots of pockets and is very comfortable. However I could probably cut the weight of the pack in half except I'm seeing the price tag of ultralite pack between $200 and over $400. Is there, are there, ultralite packs in the 60-80 liter range that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'd like some suggestions if you have any.

#196802 - 10/19/16 08:10 PM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: Jim M]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
REI sells a 65 liter flash... though it is barely under 4 pounds. I don't think you would be able to get much below $200 unless you are willing to give up a frame.

Osprey Exos 58
Granite Gear Blaze AC
GG Leopard (on sale now at REI)

all around $200

#196803 - 10/19/16 08:50 PM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: BZH]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I use the Exos 48 most of the time, and one of the things I like about it is that it is an unadorned "bloody big single sack" (as Colin Fletcher used to put it.) I also have an Atmos 50, which has a divider between compartments, and I believe I can put more gear into the Exos 48 simply because the pack bag is simpler, and things fit better for some reason. It also seems to be slightly "rounder."

The Exos 48 won't hold the canister, obviously - I just wanted to tell you about it because the Exos 58 is also a single large main compartment, and might work.

#196807 - 10/20/16 11:43 AM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: Jim M]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Perhaps you could buy a used one. Sort of like buying a used car --- something good that was treated well by the owner and doesn't have too-o many miles on it.

Besides this site (backcountryforum.com), there are forums for buyers looking and sellers offering on whiteblaze.net. I think BPL charges to list things on their site, but there may be others.

Or if you live near an REI store, look for their sales, including members only "garage sales", anniversary/coupon sales, etc. If you're patient and have an idea of several common pack types that would work for you, you might get something at a good price.

#196893 - 11/01/16 08:56 PM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: BZH]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Dont waste your money on the flash. I have one. The frame slips out all the time

#196895 - 11/02/16 10:16 AM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: Glenn Roberts]
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
Glenn, how much weight do you typically carry in your exos48?

#196899 - 11/02/16 04:50 PM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: edfardos]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Generally, I carry fifteen to sixteen pounds which, with the Exos, means I'm carrying about 18 pounds for a weekend. Of that, I carry one liter of water and a pound of food a day - 4 pounds; another half pound is the small fuel canister.

I've carried 23 pounds in the pack, and noticed no real difference in the carrying comfort. Above 25 pounds, the suspension starts to "collapse" - the hipbelt won't stay put and I can't get the weight off my shoulders.

#196908 - 11/05/16 11:38 PM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: Jim M]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Perhaps the equivalent of the 70L Jam from the former Golite? I know Bearvaults fit in the Pinnacle and 70L Jam so they should in this new incarnation though I've never seen one in person. They may not work if you're skinny and need the long torso though.

#196963 - 11/21/16 08:55 AM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: Jim M]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
Two suggestions: ever think of making your own? Several good models out there to choose from. I made the G4, afterwards designing my own. At 18lbs of gear you are well within the range of these packs, and pack weights are usually < 2 lbs.

Second thought, if you are able to hang the food look at an Ursa bear bag. Ursack

#197367 - 01/10/17 11:14 AM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: toddfw2003]
6meo9 Offline

all the flash have the same problem?

--------------------------------------
Meo Tan

Edited by aimless (01/10/17 01:19 PM)
Edit Reason: removed link in sig line

#197380 - 01/12/17 09:27 PM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: Jim M]
OhioPaddler Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
I don't have any personal experience with these packs but the Klymit Motion 60 and the Granite Gear Crown VC seem to fit the bill, but they are on the bottom end of your size requirements.

#197381 - 01/12/17 10:55 PM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: PaHiker]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
PaHiker, the OP is probably backpacking in Olympic National Park (he lives near there). ONP won't allow Ursacks and insists on a hard-sided canister.

#197382 - 01/13/17 07:42 AM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: OregonMouse]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
Bummer. The only other option is a 21oz polycarbonate by Lighter1, but at $95 it isn't cheap.

#197384 - 01/13/17 12:23 PM Re: light weight backpack without a lot of $$$$ [Re: PaHiker]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
ONP does loan bear canisters, so there is no need to buy one unless going there frequently (which I suspect the OP does). Last time I was there, their stock seemed to be about half Garcias, half Bear Vaults (the latter are lighter).

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum