Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196839 - 10/24/16 09:22 PM Fitbit stats from a long-ish hike
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I brought my fitbit on my PNT hike this year, and spent a little time this weekend getting summary data. My hiking partner Lucky and I hiked 804 miles in 53 days, of which 5 days we did no hiking (so 48 hiking days), for a per-day average of 16.8 miles.

In those 48 days I walked just a bit over two million steps, and we climbed the equivalent of a little over 25 vertical miles along the way.

What I found interesting is how much fitbit's daily mileage estimate was high. I expected it to be high; I used a level track at a local school to establish my average stride length, and unless you're road walking on pretty level roads, real trail involves on average shorter steps. But for the PNT this came out to be 30% high, and if I did some more work to remove Nero's, and even more to remove known road walking miles, for actual trail it would be higher than that. Perhaps 30% would be more reasonable for better quality and better graded trail like the PCT.

FWIW, I have the fitbit "one", which I kept in a key pocket at my hip; I personally can't stand to wear a fitness tracker on my wrist all the time (I guess I'm in the minority on that one, at least based on what's being sold today).

If you're into geeky hiking stats, a little more information on this is here:
http://www.postholer.com/journal/Pacific-Northwest-Trail/2016/brianle/2016-10-24/Some-Stats/57530

#196840 - 10/24/16 10:41 PM Re: Fitbit stats from a long-ish hike [Re: BrianLe]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
My only comment: you are among a very small and select group who would refer to an 804 mile, 53 day hike as "long-ish". grin

#196848 - 10/26/16 10:58 AM Re: Fitbit stats from a long-ish hike [Re: aimless]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"you are among a very small and select group who would refer to an 804 mile, 53 day hike as "long-ish""

All relative, I guess; we didn't thru-hike the trail, and the entire trail is half the length of the well-known long distance trails.

But long enough I think for averages, max/min etc data to have some meaning. At least to me! :-)

#196854 - 10/27/16 09:24 AM Re: Fitbit stats from a long-ish hike [Re: BrianLe]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
I had to laugh at myself when I first read the post. I read it 5 or more times trying to find out where you called the hike "long-ish" and then realized it was in the post title.

I don't have a fit bit, but I do see how it could produce a 30% greater distance reading. I've done some map & compass work and orienteering in the past, and for my natural pace measurements, I'm consistently 11 paces for 10 meters, and 110 paces for 100 meters. Of course that's like your track reading... nice even flat ground.

Any type of uphill slope is going to shorten your steps a bit, but not by 30% unless it's a really rough steep climb. So why would the fit bit ready 30% further distance? Well, I think it's more subconscious than anything. If I'm consciously pacing my distance, and trying to maintain a natural stride, that stride length will be longer than a normal hiking stride would be. I would be willing to bet that if you set your fit bit distance based upon a fully geared hiked trail distance, it would be more accurate in the end.

For me, I could see me doing 15 steps for 10 metres in hiking conditions compared to the 11 when pacing. That with ups & downs along a trail would get me to 30% more steps easily, which a fit bit would read as 30% farther.

Then again, maybe I'm way off because I haven't had my coffee this morning yet. All I can say is, 804 miles, 53 days... nice. Really, really nice! I'd love to be able to do something like that someday. I'm still trying to fit in a 5-7 day hike into my schedule. 2 months though, what a vacation that would be!

#196860 - 10/28/16 10:08 AM Re: Fitbit stats from a long-ish hike [Re: Zuuk]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"Any type of uphill slope is going to shorten your steps a bit, but not by 30% unless it's a really rough steep climb."

It seemed on the high side (of high) to me too, with the caveat that mile for mile, and when not walking on forest service road to connect trail pieces --- the PNT is the toughest trail I've hiked. Again, that's "mile for mile", not in absolute terms, but the overall trail quality isn't good. Think in terms of the average tread quality and pitch of the AT, but often not maintained (or signed). On flat, level ground my stride is relatively long; on trail like that, it is credible to me that 30% more steps are required per unit distance.

Quote:
"I'd love to be able to do something like that someday. I'm still trying to fit in a 5-7 day hike into my schedule. 2 months though, what a vacation that would be!"

Hopefully you can make it happen someday. OTOH, it's a the type of vacation from which you generally feel the need for another vacation when it's done! :-)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum