Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196820 - 10/22/16 05:02 PM internal or external for a bad back?
jerseydevil Offline

Loc: New Jer4sey
Is there a noticeable difference between using an internal or external frame backpack with a moderately bad back? I read where internals make you lean forward as you hike. When I fish I tend to lean forward in anticipation of a strike. This causes a lot of soreness in my back. Any advice? Thanks

#196821 - 10/22/16 08:04 PM Re: internal or external for a bad back? [Re: jerseydevil]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've never found lean-forward to be an issue - at least not after I acquired the habit of walking erect. Like any other habit, it's something you have to consciously remember to do, until you do it automatically.

I have noticed that it's a bit easier to remember with an external frame pack, but not significantly so. I'm not sure why, but I find I'm more erect with my Exos pack than I am with my Kestrel pack. (Yes, the Exos is an external frame - the giveaway is the trampoline suspension. It's a very high-tech external, that is far more comfortable than my 1980s aluminum pipe pack, but it's still an external.)

In short, the pack only makes you lean forward if you let it. It's very easy to walk erect with any pack, especially with a load of 25 pounds or less (which is not difficult to attain with today's gear, unless you're on a longer trip where you're carrying a lot of food.)

#196826 - 10/23/16 07:38 AM Re: internal or external for a bad back? [Re: jerseydevil]
bluefish Offline

Wow, I relate to that. I experience the same pain leaning forward stripping a fly or watching an indicator or dry fly. There's many days I have to take deep breaths and just back off on the anticipation and intense focus. Lots of days fishing for striped bass I reach for Aleve first thing in the morning. In recent years,as sore as my back has been fishing (wading and standing on rocky terrain is also very bad on backs), I've noticed very little back pain while backpacking. I have had soreness in my shoulders and hips, but the walking motion seems to keep the back aligned and pain free. I haven't carried an external frame for awhile . It's apples and oranges too: I use to carry a lot of weight in big framed packs, I've downsized and gone to smaller internal frames exclusively. The one thing that seems key is getting the right fit and packing your gear so the distribution is right. I also remember getting sore coming down steep trails before I started to use trekking poles. I subconsciously leaned forward, creating strain on the lower back. Staying more upright and letting the poles aid in balance and taking some of the strain off my knees leads to much less jarring descents. Welcome to this forum and best of luck (with fishing , too).

#196832 - 10/24/16 03:46 PM Re: internal or external for a bad back? [Re: jerseydevil]
jerseydevil Offline

So now that you use an internal frame you don't get the same back pain leaning forward as we both do while fishing? It does not take much of a lean while fishing to feel discomfort. Its that subconscious slight lean in anticipation of that strike and subsequent hookset. Just curious if and internal packs causes the same lean while walking. So Glenn, if I get this straight, I do not HAVE to lean forward with an internal? Just that everything I read about them says that they do tend to cause you to lean. Gonna hike The Batona in NJ soon and just don't wanna get halfway into it and abort due to choosing the wrong type of pack. Thanks

Edited by jerseydevil (10/24/16 03:54 PM)

#196834 - 10/24/16 04:38 PM Re: internal or external for a bad back? [Re: jerseydevil]
bluefish Offline

I've never heard that, and the Granite Gear and Osprey packs I use do not make me lean forward. However, I do perhaps lean forward going up steep hills and when occasionally having to use your hands to climb. I could see having to lean forward if the hip belt is not riding in the right place and the pack doesn't fit well- you lean forward to take more weight on to your shoulders and upper back and give relief to the hips. I haul my heavy float tube in to some ADK brook trout ponds, and I do find myself leaning with the heavy load- but it's with a frame pack. I would see if you could find a place where you could get fit for a pack and try one out in a store. You certainly don't have to worry about rocks and hills on the Batona. (Did it about 35 years ago). At that time I was using a Jansport D-2 external frame and carrying 35-40 lbs. Might do it again sometime in winter. Pack fit is far more important than the type of pack, up to about 30 lbs. Keeping your pack weight as low as possible helps a lot.

#196835 - 10/24/16 06:17 PM Re: internal or external for a bad back? [Re: jerseydevil]
jerseydevil Offline

Great insight. Thanks to both of you.. Problem solved

#196836 - 10/24/16 07:24 PM Re: internal or external for a bad back? [Re: jerseydevil]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
No, you don't HAVE to lean forward with an internal. It can have a bit more inclination to encourage it, but you can overcome it without undue effort.

Putting a load on your back (in a pack, a gunny sack, or whatever) shifts your center of gravity back from its "normal" location - and to compensate, you feel like you need to lean forward. After you get used to the new normal center of gravity, that sensation goes away.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (10/24/16 07:27 PM)

#196841 - 10/25/16 01:35 PM Re: internal or external for a bad back? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
An awful lot depends on three things--the structure of the individual pack, the fit of the pack to your body (when loaded), and the distribution of weight within the pack.

The center of gravity of the pack (where the heaviest items are) should be just slightly above (but not too far above) the center of gravity of your body (which depends on your individual build). If you find you are leaning forward, the center of gravity of your pack is too high, and you should be packing it so that the denser items are a little lower and closer to your back.

I find that I do a lot less leaning with my internal frame pack than I ever did with the old external frame. The best part, for me, is that with the internal frame, the pack moves with my body. With the external frame, the pack tended to zig when I zagged, throwing me off balance.

Of course as a woman with (unfortunately) extra weight on my hips, the center of gravity of my body is low (well below my waist) and therefore the heavy stuff has to be carried low.

One problem with this is that there are few items in my lightweight gear that are significantly heavier than the others except my food bag. Of course the food bag gets lighter each day, so by late in the trip it's no longer an obvious item for the center of gravity. Fortunately, the total pack weight is much less by then!

#196855 - 10/27/16 01:33 PM Re: internal or external for a bad back? [Re: jerseydevil]
jerseydevil Offline

["The center of gravity of the pack (where the heaviest items are) should be just slightly above (but not too far above) the center of gravity of your body (which depends on your individual build). If you find you are leaning forward, the center of gravity of your pack is too high, and you should be packing it so that the denser items are a little lower and closer to your back."]
This is great stuff to learn. Thanks. I would love to contribute to this site but unfortunately I have never backpacked before Just hiked 7 miles yesterday but with just a fanny pack with water. Never carried a pack. wanna get up to 10-12 miles a day before I start to carry a pack, so I'm just in the market for one now. Ask me about fishing though... smile (Sorry...bad job of quoting Oregon Mouse)

Edited by jerseydevil (10/27/16 01:36 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum