Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196227 - 08/02/16 11:32 PM 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ??
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I have a 7 x 10' tarp that is getting old and I want to replace it with a tarp that is 9 feet square. For a number of reasons I think that might be the ideal size for me. My 7 x 10 weighs only 18 ounces w/o stakes and only a few very light tie lines attached.
I can't seem to find a 9'x9' (give or take a few inches) tarp that weighs about that much. I think about 21 ounces would be my upper limit. I'm thinking $100 for a maximum price. I Do see some nice tarps that come close to my criteria, but none exactly right. Any ideas? One more thing, some nice tarps have a cantinary (sp?) curve on two sides. I don't think I would like that because it would make a gap in some situations like even a simple "A" Frame configuration.
Thanks. Jim, Hansville, WA

#196228 - 08/03/16 12:10 AM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Jim M]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Yama Mountain Gear (no affiliation) has an 8.5x8.5 sil tarp, but it's $140. Weighs just over 17 oz.

http://www.yamamountaingear.com/flat-silnylon-8585/

Edit to add: Oware (no affiliation) has a 9x9 sil tarp, $130. The 30d sil weighs 16 oz. and comes in various colors.

http://shop.bivysack.com/FlatTarp25-9x9-1TarpFlat-25-9x9.htm

Edited by JustWalking (08/03/16 12:15 AM)
Edit Reason: added info

#196230 - 08/03/16 08:33 AM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Jim M]
Ken S Offline

Loc: Saint Charles, MO
look at footprints for tents on ebay for the higher end brands. You can get them cheap sometimes for 10 to 40 bucks and they have all the tieouts already and are made to take abuse and some are pretty lightweight.

#196233 - 08/03/16 09:26 AM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Jim M]
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
Two words: Tyvek... Unsure if you can get 9' rolls. Seam tape might add too much weight?

#196237 - 08/03/16 12:09 PM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: edfardos]
Jim M Offline

Good Idea, Tyvek.
I see someone on line sells the 9' wide Tyvek for 3.50 per linear foot. That would be about $31.50 for 9 feet.
No seams! He says it is 1.85 ounces per sq. yd. so 3 yds x 3 yds = 9 yds. 9 x 1.85 = 16.65 ounces! and.... 9 x $3.50 = $31.50. Sounds very good. I carry a small scrap of Tyvek about 5x5 around in my pack for emergencies in the winter and it seems durable and I even put some grommets in the corners.
Thanks.....Jim

#196239 - 08/03/16 02:14 PM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Jim M]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Integral Designs is still around and has a few options--your budget will require a sale though. Equinox shows an 8x10 siltarp for under a hundred bucks. Glad to see both are in business, although have a hazy memory of somebody buying ID a few years back.

Cheers,

#196240 - 08/03/16 06:07 PM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Jim M]
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
So you know how noisy tyvek can be .. Louder than sunchips wrappers. I can only imagine how loud rain would be? Otherwise, I love the stuff. Most of us use it as tent ground cloths. Buy online. Hardware stores only sell 50' rolls... Which is tempting.

#196242 - 08/03/16 11:57 PM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: edfardos]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Tyvek's okay for groundcloths,less good for rain protection since it's porous and hard rain can mist through. Just so you know.

A DIY silnylon tarp is the cheapest light option, but you need to be handy with a sewing machine and seal the seams afterwards. Advantage: size is completely up to you.

Cheers,

#196247 - 08/04/16 10:49 PM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Rick_D]
Jim M Offline

Thank you and others for ideas. I'm going to write another topic message on condensation. I went out the last two days and was surprised at the condemnation on a very open tarp.

#196278 - 08/07/16 12:14 PM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Jim M]
Jim M Offline

My final decision was based on price, weigh, and coverage. I purchased an REI Camp Tarp 9. I think it is identical to the Noah's 9 by Eureka. REI is local and as a good return policy so I can take a look at it and return it if dissatisfied.
Thanks for all your ideas. I am selling my Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent on Ebay for about the price of he new tarp. The new tarp weighs 3 or 4 pounds less!

#196389 - 08/21/16 01:40 AM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Jim M]
dralahiker Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Silnylon Tarp, 10x10, 18 oz, numerous tie tabs, several colors, very well made at Etowah Outifitters (now in Missouri). $99.

Other sizes available.

http://www.shop.backpackingadventuregear.com/silnylon-tarps-starting-at-Siltarps.htm

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

#196785 - 10/17/16 11:49 PM Re: 9'x9' tarp (3m x 3m) under $100 and under 21 oz ?? [Re: Jim M]
Jim M Offline

I guess I am replying to myself here. I have had a chance to use the REI 9x9 Camp Tarp on several trips and it worked out perfectly. We happened to have good weather, but I am certain it would have worked well in a rainstorm. I would bring three sides down to the ground if it were raining and windy. Perhaps even drop the top peak some, but there is plenty of room for two under the 9x9, three wouldn't even be a squeeze. It sets up quicker than any tent I have had. You put in three stakes and then lift the remaining corner and tie it to a tree (or trekking pole with guy). A little adjusting here and there and you are done in a few minutes. It is a little bigger and heavier than I need, but my pack is so light otherwise that I don't mind because of the extra space, and someday in an emergency I can share the space with someone.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum