Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196147 - 07/25/16 12:27 AM SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
IM 6'4. Looks like the trekker may be a little bigger. I have read some reviews on the Trekker and was hoping it held up will to bad weather. Trying to lighten my load some. I wanted to see if anyone has used this tent.

#196150 - 07/25/16 04:12 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: toddfw2003]
bluefish Offline

You might want to also consider the Lightheart Solong.
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents
The Trekker doesn't have a tub floor to speak of, which I like to keep out wind driven dust, wetness and dirt. We have the LH Duo, 100" and handy for your gear at the end of the tent. I think the Solong also has an awning. One of the features we like on ours.

Edited by bluefish (07/25/16 04:14 PM)

#196151 - 07/25/16 04:41 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: bluefish]
toddfw2003 Offline

Oh man, Thats nice

Edited by toddfw2003 (07/25/16 04:45 PM)

#196152 - 07/25/16 04:48 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: toddfw2003]
bluefish Offline

No, you need trekkers (or you can buy them from them. The awning can be rigged up with a stick or a small pole that you can buy from LH. We had a really bad dust storm in the Grand Canyon in April. We buttoned up the tent and it stayed up , but got really dirty on the outside. The inside had a really fine coating , but everything was clean enough to immediately use and took a minimal amount of care. We wiped it down the following evening. I was a little disappointed until I talked to some other people that were cowboy camping following the storm. Their stuff was trashed! Tents went down, dust filled the insides and got into everything. Suddenly, I was not so disappointed.

Edited by bluefish (07/25/16 04:54 PM)

#196153 - 07/25/16 05:46 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: bluefish]
toddfw2003 Offline

Right now I have an REI dash 2. Its a two person tent. With stakes its 2lbs 10oz. The solong is a nice tent and if I didnt have my tent I would consider it since the price is about the same. I would spend the money if I could lose a pound but it only looks like I would lose about 8 oz. i might have to cut weight in other places. My base weight right now is 7.5lbs ( pack, tent, pad and sleeping bag. My goal is about 6lbs.

#196157 - 07/26/16 04:22 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: toddfw2003]
toddfw2003 Offline

The lightheart Solo is 11 feet long. I might buy that one. Im not a super big guy. I am 6'4, 205lb

#196165 - 07/27/16 07:28 AM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: toddfw2003]
bluefish Offline

Plenty of room! Todd, If you do pull the trigger, I'd suggest not using Ti shepherd hooks (the UL .2 oz. ones) on the 2 ends when you have doubts about them holding. We Throw in some MSR Groundhogs for the corners of ours. The owner of LH, Judy Gross, is pretty helpful. 828 505 5618.

#196171 - 07/27/16 08:04 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: bluefish]
toddfw2003 Offline

Have you used your tent in Heavy rain? Just curious of how well it holds out water?

#196172 - 07/27/16 08:45 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: toddfw2003]
bluefish Offline

Yes, several times. Once, it kept the rain out, but as with most single walls, we had some condensation issues. The conditions were horrible, though. Mid-30's , hard rain and heavy mist. We wiped down the inside several times with a micro-fiber towel. I had one small seam leak, which I fixed. I told LH about it, and they reimbursed me the 35 I had paid for seam sealing. We've had a night of rain in warmer temps and stayed absolutely dry. I must admit, I don't trust it as much as I do my BA Fly Creek, but the weight savings and ton of added room is great. We haven't had it in a driving downpour , like a violent thunderstorm. I imagine it will do OK, as long as the stakes stay in. The sil-nylon will sag a bit when it gets wet.

Edited by bluefish (07/27/16 08:46 PM)

#196175 - 07/27/16 10:48 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: bluefish]
toddfw2003 Offline

Im going to order the Solo awning. Its the same weight and size but only $220

#196176 - 07/28/16 09:31 AM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: toddfw2003]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
The lightheart Solo is 11 feet long. I might buy that one. Im not a super big guy. I am 6'4, 205lb

I'm about 5' 10" and I've got a LH Solo. It's a fine length for me, but I wonder how comfortable at 6'4" person would be in it. Yes, it might be 11' long, but it narrows quite a bit towards both ends. Particularly if you have a relatively 'tall' (air) mattress, you could find yourself concerned at times about the ends of the sleeping bag touching the long ends of the tent, and just generally in finding it hard to sit up or lay back down without scraping tent fabric along your head.

The LH Solo is a great tent, a good hybrid that to me is the weight of a single-wall tent, but "almost" a double wall tent in function. Catch is, the place where it's most like a single walled tent is at the long ends, where the sewn-in fly gets ever closer to the tent wall fabric.

I suggest that you consider instead the Lightheart SoLong 6, http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents/product/view/7/7

Agree totally with the other comment about stronger/better stakes at the two long ends. For other guy-out points, something like a ti shephard's hook is fine; I used to use MSR needle stakes throughout and that almost always worked fine, but now I have beefier stakes just for the two tie-outs on the long axis.

#196179 - 07/28/16 01:25 PM Re: SMD Skyscape Trekker vs TT Notch [Re: BrianLe]
toddfw2003 Offline

I have a Nemo Tensor 25 as my pad. I really like the so long but its a weight thing. My tent without the stakes weighs 2lbs 7oz and its a 2 person ultralight tent. For 300 buck I would only be loosing 8 onces. The lunar solo is only 24 oz and it doesnt V at the ends

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum