Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195664 - 06/05/16 12:13 AM ozarks vs ouachita?
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
What do you prefer? I plan to do a four day trip over 4th of july weekend. I cant decide. I have not been to either

#195673 - 06/05/16 09:35 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: toddfw2003]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
In the summer my vote is neither. If I had to pick somewhere, I would go to the Buffalo River and hike a combination of the Buffalo River Trail, Old River Trail, and maybe other trails in the Ponca Wilderness that are close to the river. I have hiked some of those trails in the summer and they can get overgrown in spots, but you can stay close to the river and cool off frequently.

I'm not sure where I would go in the Ouachitas. The Eagle Rock loop might not be too bad since it follows some rivers part of the way, but I have not ever been there. I would only consider a trail that is well-used (less weedy) and stays close to water most of the way.

My most "memorable" July 4th weekend backpacking trip consisted of about a mile in the Paddy Creek Wilderness in Missouri on a weedy trail in a creek bottom. After stopping four times to remove ticks, we went back to the car and spent the rest of the weekend car camping on a river.

#195676 - 06/06/16 01:17 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: toddfw2003]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Yeah, I'm with Slowfoot 100%.

My advice is to ditch the trails all together and do a float trip. If you've not floated the Buffalo River you should, and depending on the water level it could be perfect in July. It has been for the past couple years and looks good so far for this year too.

There are other creeks and rivers too, but the Buffalo is the best and I don't think anyone here would argue that.

"You want to go where?"

#195690 - 06/07/16 08:56 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: Slowfoot]
toddfw2003 Offline

The heat doesnt bother me. I live in Houston. I will be driving so distance is a factor. that looks pretty. Like something I would do in the fall on a week long trip. Its 10 hours from. Its doable. Just half my trip would be driving

#195692 - 06/07/16 10:34 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: toddfw2003]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
The Ouachitas would definitely be closer to you than the Buffalo River. I have hiked all of the Ouachita Trail, the Caney Creek Wilderness, and the Cossatot River Trail, but I'm not sure any of those would be good choice for 3-4 days in the summer. Caney Creek and Cossatot probably aren't long enough for most people. The Ouachita Trail can have long distances between water sources, which isn't great for hot weather when you need to drink more. Even though I haven't hiked it, I would still recommend the Eagle Rock Loop most based on what I know about it.

The heat isn't necessarily what makes summer hiking so unpleasant for me. It's the thick brush, weedy trails, ticks, plants with sticky seed pods or leaves that get all over my socks and pants, and tiny bugs that buzz around my ears, eyes and nose all day. I started using a head net, but it makes my face that much hotter. And if I need sunscreen or bug spray, the combination of that with sweat makes my skin feel bad. And you lose the views that are there before the trees leaf out completely. And off-trail hiking is much harder to do.

#195698 - 06/08/16 08:09 AM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: Slowfoot]
toddfw2003 Offline

Thanks for the insite. I guess I will find some place else to go. I had to quit hiking in east texas because of the ticks are bad right now.

#195774 - 06/12/16 05:36 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: toddfw2003]
billstephenson Offline

You could do a float trip on the Ouchita River. It's about as close as you can get for backpacking.

A "float trip" is not a "White Water" thing, it's a "floating" thing. You meander down the river and let the current do most of the work. Most of the outfitters have very high quality canoes they rent that are made for the type of water you'll use them on so they are stable, easy to maneuver, and comfortable.

I use all the same gear I use when backpacking. I don't take anything different, though I can take a few luxury items along because I'm not carrying them on my back all day. Having a chair at camp is pretty sweet and you can take one on a float trip.

The scenery is amazing, the places you can camp are amazing, and you can do short hikes to super scenic spots along the way, plus take a swim in wonderfully pristine water anytime you want to cool off.

The key to enjoying a float trip is stop along the way and explore. More miles does not equate to more fun. Stopping and checking out all the cool spots you'll be seeing does though. If you talk to the outfitters they'll tell where the best spots are to camp and hike how far you should plan on going to get the most out of your trip.

Weekdays are better because if the weather and water are good on a weekend the rivers will be filled with people enjoying themselves.

"You want to go where?"

#195776 - 06/12/16 09:27 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: billstephenson]
shuddleson Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Nothing like an Ozark river float. Some of best times were in a float boat on Beaver Creek. I suspect you know that stream Bill.

#195781 - 06/12/16 11:51 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: shuddleson]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By shuddleson
Nothing like an Ozark river float. Some of best times were in a float boat on Beaver Creek. I suspect you know that stream Bill.

Indeed I do. I live less than a mile from the mouth of Beaver Creek where it enters Bull Shoals lake and my wife and I went swimming in it last Monday above Kissee Mills right across from the Devil's Tea Table.

Then on Tuesday we did a short 4 mile float on the Buffalo River. Both were just sweet as can be and there wasn't anyone within sight of us at either of them the entire time.

"You want to go where?"

#195787 - 06/13/16 06:20 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: billstephenson]
shuddleson Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico
*the big rock by the bridge over highway (160?) was a favorite of mine to cool off on my way home. Just below the old mill dam.

Edited by shuddleson (06/13/16 06:23 PM)

#195810 - 06/15/16 12:00 AM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: shuddleson]
billstephenson Offline

Oh yeah!! I've swam over there many times and jumped off that rock with all my kids and all their friends, and even my grandkids now. That's an Ozark Icon! grin

My wife and I went there again today. It was hot and sunny and the water is still running good upstream from the bridge. We crossed the bridge and drove up to Robert's Ridge Rd and took that just a mile or so to a dirt road that heads down to the creek and Public land.

We had the best spot down there all to ourselves last week but there were a few people down there this time. We got there just as one small group was leaving so it was just us for a bit, but a few more came and went over the afternoon and a few were there when we left. Most of them were fishing as well as swimming.

There are some big gar and big cottonmouth water moccasins there so between that and the obscure dirt road it's only locals that goes there. I've camped and hiked all over back in there. Some good friends of mine were hunting back there a few years ago and saw a mountain lion. The only bobcat I've ever seen was back there.

My wife took this pic this afternoon. As you can see, I make a pretty decent hillbilly laugh

"You want to go where?"

#195949 - 06/26/16 10:00 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: billstephenson]
toddfw2003 Offline

I am going to head to the Ouachita area. Going to backpack in to winding stair which follows the Little Missouri river. The weather is saying 70 at night in Mena. should be a little cooler next to the water

#195956 - 06/27/16 07:34 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: toddfw2003]
billstephenson Offline

That should be pretty nice. I've been to Mena and camped a few nights near there, but I don't recall exactly where. I know it wasn't on the Little Missouri and that looks sweet as can be.

That swimming hole at the falls looks perfect. I hope the area has some rain just before you get there and none when you're there so you can enjoy it at it's best!!!

"You want to go where?"

#196020 - 07/04/16 11:15 PM Re: ozarks vs ouachita? [Re: billstephenson]
toddfw2003 Offline

I backpacked Eagle Rock Loop this weekend. I had a great time. It was hot but most of the hike was in the shade. Lots of ticks though. Thank god my dog is on Nextguard and my clothes and tent were treated with permetherin. This would be a much prettier hike in the fall

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum