Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195581 - 05/31/16 09:00 AM Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets
vr46 Offline

I apologize in advance for this noob question but I have been trying to read up on this and understand very little, mostly due to all the different brands naming their fabric technology different things which adds to the confusion. I have limited time to find more info and rtff.

I have until tomorrow to choose a replacement jacket for something I've purchased which turns out to not fit so well after all. I know nothing at all about rain jackets and I'm trying to choose between three and try to find the best one with good breatheability.

My options are the North Face Venture jacket, Columbia Evaporation jacket and a third less known brand, VR-Traveller. All three are very similar but I would like to know more about the inner layers.

The North face feels nice, like a regular nylon type material, they call it Dryvent.

The other two, Columbia and VR-Traveler have this inner material which looks similar and feels similar to an extent, but with sort of a rubbery feel to it. Maybe the material itself isn't rubbery but it has that feel to the touch, especially when I'm trying to take it off it sticks more to my arms than the TNF one.

I prefer the last two jackets but I'm worried about the inner material causing issue. A few other North Face have the similar rubbery feeling inner material that I've tried, it seems to be a popular option, people at one shop i tried a few weeks ago suggested it was the better option.

Here's links to two jackets for reference.

TNF Venture
http://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Mens-Venture-Jacket/dp/B004O9RZCE

Columbia EvaPOURation
http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sportswea...uct_top?ie=UTF8

#195582 - 05/31/16 09:28 AM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: vr46]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
This probably isn't what you want to hear, but unless we know why the other jacket didn't fit, there's not much we can do to help you with the new ones.

In general, I prefer a rain jacket to be just a little oversized, rather than undersized, because I dress in layers on the trail. That means that while sometimes I am wearing the rain jacket as a light layer over a shirt for rain protection, I also plan on wearing it over a puffy down jacket if we get hammered by an unexpected snowstorm.

I don't recognize the third jacket you mention, but the first two are reasonably well-made, and should do just fine for backpacking. The North Face might be more waterproof...but bear in mind that if you're hiking in a rainjacket, you're probably going to be sweating, and the condensation will also soak you!

Which most of us have learned the hard way.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195583 - 05/31/16 11:26 AM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: vr46]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
First: I think you are suffering from "paralysis from analysis". You are trying to research the absolute best answer and getting wrapped up in subjective difference between brands (exacerbated by marketing).

The good news is it probably doesn't matter all that much. There is no one right answer and each of them are probably fine choices. The bad news is that no rain jacket can do half of what marketing departments tell you they can do. As Balz mentioned if you are hiking in the rain you are probably going to be soaking wet from sweat. No amount of breath-ability in the world will allow enough moisture to escape while still keeping the stuff falling from getting in.

If you like the feel of TNF jacket it sounds like a winner for you.

#195585 - 05/31/16 12:17 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: BZH]
vr46 Offline

Thanks guys. I wanted to put in as much info on my first post so i wouldn't need to keep coming back. It seems I've just made it more confusing for anyone trying to help.

Regarding the question about why I'm returning my other jacket, I generally have issues with the fit, I tried a lot of jackets that seemed to fit right but were tight around the shoulders. The pair I need to return seem fine around the shoulders but run short height-wise which means all my shirts stick out about an inch and a half beyond it.
I like the feel of this jacket compared to the TNF or third brand I was looking at, it's thinner, like a windbreaker and the body has a mesh lining which i like and the hood is removable.

I didn't think I would get any more research done today but I was able to read up and familiarize myself a bit on the materials. I've been skimming through various forums the past 40 minutes on differences between various materials like goretex vs Hyvent/Dryvent and all that other stuff. Also trying to understand laminates vs coatings. It's all quite confusing but at least I have a better idea of what I'm getting.

Basically my question now is to those with experience, some of the waterproof jackets have this rubbery inner layer, whatever it's called, how does it compare with regular plalsticy feeling materials or inner layers?
I was at a Columbia store the other day and their staff told me that those jackets were actually really breatheable but I tend not to believe them

I live in HK, it's hot and humid in the summer. 90% humidity most of the time 32c in the summer, 40-43c in direct sun, maybe 26-29c when it rains. I'm hoping to avoid hot, sweaty skin from sticking to the jacket. Some of the materials I tried made the jackets feel more like diving suites so I'm not sure if they are intended for this climate.

Also, are pitzips really necessary?

#195586 - 05/31/16 01:06 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: vr46]
balzaccom Offline

Pitzips are great if the weather is cool and you are warm. IF the weather is warm and humid, the won't help as much.

Given the weather you are likely to face--warm and humid--I wonder if a rainshell is even worth it. If you are hiking in one, you will create a sauna inside from your own perspiration. It might be better to simply get wet from the rain in a quick drying synthetic shirt, and pack a second shirt to wear once you are somewhere dry.

I have a very lightweight rainshell for cycling in California. I have never put it on to stay dry--because the minute I put it on, I sweat it up into a steamroom. But it does keep me warmer in a cold rain.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195598 - 05/31/16 09:38 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: balzaccom]
vr46 Offline

We do get strong monsoons here and rain usually comes heavy so it's best to have some form of protection, although I'm starting to wish I had just bought a rain poncho instead.

Part of the urgency in my post is the limited timeframe but also the poor consumer laws here mean stores are able to come up with their own, no refund - exchange only policies which add to the inconvenience. At least there are more options at this current shop and the jackets I'm looking at seem to good at what they do, just maybe not the best suited for my needs.

There is this TNF Cloud Venture which is a lot thinner, like a windbreaker. It costs more (Most US brands are 20-30% more than US price listing), than the first three I was looking at but I'm wondering if it might be better for this climate.
https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-cloud-venture-jacket

#195599 - 05/31/16 10:19 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: vr46]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Where's "here"? I checked your profile, but you haven't filled it in. Knowing where you're from and where you hike would help us tailor our answers to you.

#195601 - 05/31/16 10:33 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: vr46]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Didn't realize it was that hot in Hong Kong. At those temps, I simply wouldn't wear a rain jacket, you're just going to sweat quickly. A poncho would be a bit better.

I'd recommend forgoing any jacket, regardless of how hard it rains, and just have a good wide-brimmed hat. You're going to be soaked either way, I'd prefer rain to sweat.

#195602 - 05/31/16 10:35 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The OP mentioned "HK," but that's not an abbreviation with which I'm familiar.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/31/16 10:38 PM)

#195603 - 05/31/16 10:40 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
HK == Hong Kong

#195607 - 06/01/16 08:11 AM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: JustWalking]
vr46 Offline

Yes, I'm in Hong Kong, it's hot and humid in the summer months with plenty of rain.

I did manage to get a refund after some explaining and a near 20 minute wait so I don't need to get one right away but I think I will need a jacket of some kind in my bag.

Originally Posted By JustWalking
Didn't realize it was that hot in Hong Kong. At those temps, I simply wouldn't wear a rain jacket, you're just going to sweat quickly. A poncho would be a bit better.

I'd recommend forgoing any jacket, regardless of how hard it rains, and just have a good wide-brimmed hat. You're going to be soaked either way, I'd prefer rain to sweat.

The temps I gave were taken out in direct sunlight around noon, although it didn't feel so bad because it's usually quite windy and most of the time there are plenty of shaded areas in the country parks here. It's very hot right now but I don't have any other jacket and I was hoping to get some use out of it all year round. Autumn and Spring here are in the mid 20's so it's not so bad and a jacket would help in the cooler areas up in the hills. It's not something I'm planning on wearing in the summer, but it might be good to have in the bag just in case.

I think I need a jacket of some kind, my only other option would be a windbreaker and umbrella combo for sudden downpours.

Edited by vr46 (06/01/16 08:14 AM)

#195608 - 06/01/16 08:45 AM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Sorry - I missed the "HK" reference - but, like you, wouldn't have known what it meant even if I hadn't skimmed right past it.

#195614 - 06/01/16 10:24 AM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: Glenn Roberts]
balzaccom Offline

Do not underestimate the usefulness of a small umbrella! easy to carry, and protects you from both rain and blistering sun!

#195619 - 06/01/16 02:37 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: balzaccom]
Ken S Offline

Loc: Saint Charles, MO
I've had good luck with the equinox tarp/poncho. Extra shelter for the bivy if needed or as a standalone.

#195622 - 06/01/16 06:46 PM Re: Noob needs urgent info on rain jackets [Re: Ken S]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If it's tropical/subtropical, I'd stick with an umbrella!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum