Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195539 - 05/29/16 11:29 AM Leave no Trace: Packing out other people's trash
hikingdoe Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hello all,

I recently went for a long day hike in one of the State Parks in Illinois. Along the way I found tons and tons of trash! Generally, I try to pick up trash along the way and pack it out but there was so much of it I could have filled my pack 10 times over.

What do you do in situations like this? How big of an impact do you try to make? Do you pick up other people's junk? If so, how much?

#195545 - 05/29/16 02:52 PM Re: Leave no Trace: Packing out other people's trash [Re: hikingdoe]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I try to pack out anything I find in the back country. Only exception was a mass of rotting food at Lower Indian Lake--way too much, and too decomposed to manage.

But in your situation, all you can do is suffer...and maybe offer to volunteer on a future clean up day.

Sorry it was so bad.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195546 - 05/29/16 02:58 PM Re: Leave no Trace: Packing out other people's trash [Re: hikingdoe]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I try to pick up small items of trash and pack them out, but when I encounter far more trash than I can manage on my own I notify the agency responsible for managing the area where I found the trash. Photos along with a description of the location. There's not much else one person can do in that situation. frown

#195549 - 05/29/16 04:42 PM Re: Leave no Trace: Packing out other people's trash [Re: hikingdoe]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
All you can do is what you are prepared to do. When the amount of trash is overwhelming, you can do what you can and, as was mentioned, report it to the authorities. Since it is an Illinois State Park, I wonder what the state budget impasse has to do with it. It still bothers me that people still think that someone else should pick up their trash.

#195576 - 05/30/16 05:30 PM Re: Leave no Trace: Packing out other people's trash [Re: hikingdoe]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Just out of curiosity, which park was it?

Rock Cut was always pretty well kept up, but the one time I went to Apple River Canyon State Park it wasn't. I didn't spend much time there, I looked at the park rules, the trail, the trash overflowing in the bins and strewn on the trail, and then I left.

"You want to go where?"

#195605 - 06/01/16 12:05 AM Re: Leave no Trace: Packing out other people's trash [Re: hikingdoe]
bobito9 Offline

I generally try to pack out what I can, within reason, with an emphasis on what I can recycle. On beaches I always make a special effort, because I imagine it otherwise joining the Pacific Ocean Garbage-patch and choking sealife.
My most dogged effort, though, was packing out a used pampers diaper (double wrapped in my spare ziplocks!) that I found in Center Basin on the JMT, carrying it over 13,000' Forester Pass, and then over Mt Whitney, about 32 miles. I tried to pass it off on a ranger along the way, but she was having none of it.

Edited by bobito9 (06/01/16 12:05 AM)

#195616 - 06/01/16 10:41 AM Re: Leave no Trace: Packing out other people's trash [Re: hikingdoe]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By hikingdoe
What do you do in situations like this? How big of an impact do you try to make? Do you pick up other people's junk? If so, how much?

I'd love to see these turds get busted but it's almost impossible to catch them in the act.

That said, it depends. I've carried out entire trash bags filled with other people's garbage a few times. If I find just a bit of trash I'll pack it out, but I don't always pack out a camp's worth of trash if my pack is full and I'm on my way in and just passing by it.

We have volunteer groups that do clean up on occasion here, but we also pay taxes to maintain these areas so I expect those we pay to get in there and deal with this too.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum