Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195314 - 05/09/16 08:30 PM Best way to carry your gun
w0lfe Offline

Those that carry a pistol while having their backpacks on, what have you found to be the best way to carry without the pack being in the way? I carried a small pistol in the past with just a mic holster. Any other tips?

#195316 - 05/09/16 10:09 PM Re: Best way to carry your gun [Re: w0lfe]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Most of our members are lightweight backpackers who find firearms to be cumbersome and unnecessary for their purposes, but we do have some folks who hunt and others who carry, so that the subject comes up from time to time. To get you started, here are a few threads where this subject was discussed in the past:

http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=150051

http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=138980

http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92532&page=1

#195319 - 05/10/16 08:05 AM Re: Best way to carry your gun [Re: w0lfe]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
The only time I have considered carrying a firearm is when hiking in areas with gators. A pocket attached to the shoulder strap provides easy and relatively quick access for a small firearm yet allows it to remain concealed so as not to make others uncomfortable. One can also keep other items in the pocket such as a phone.

I have no problem with firearms, just not a big fan of open carry for general hiking. I am not a hunter but view that as a different situation that doesn't usually make hikers uncomfortable, at least not me.

Almost tripped over this nice fella. He is bigger around than I am.

#195320 - 05/10/16 09:13 AM Re: Best way to carry your gun [Re: w0lfe]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
The only time I carry a firearm while backpacking is when hiking the Texas/Mex border, or with a grizzly threat. I manage a nature preserve and sometimes carry one when doing trail maintenance for defense against dogs. Otherwise, they are a brick. In 50 years I've never had a problem with people or wildlife that a gun would solve, while hiking.

That said, a paddle holster like Fobus makes, works well and is easy to conceal. They clip on pack straps, your belt/waistline, comfortably. A pistol is useless unless you can get to it in an instant and have some proper training under your belt. Consider also the defensive potential of pepper spray and trekking poles. I've held dogs off with trekking poles (mine are re-tasked ski poles).

#195329 - 05/11/16 07:42 PM Re: Best way to carry your gun [Re: Dryer]
w0lfe Offline

I ended up breaking down and buying a hill people gear kit.

#195354 - 05/16/16 04:35 AM Re: Best way to carry your gun [Re: w0lfe]
Reggie Offline

Loc: Europe
Greetings all

The moderator has pointed to other posts - this is more of a hiking forum as they point out. I am both an occasional hunter - I used to cull pests - and a former soldier. I am totally comfortable carrying firearms, but seeing civilians with them gives me the heebie-jeebies.
I see very little point in carrying a pistol. I think its utility is more psychological than anything else. If you ARE going to carry one - it has to be accessible otherwise what's the point? This would rightly freak folks out. If you are really concerned about crocodiles (I've hiked in places like that), then nothing short of a long arm will do the job. Similarly in, say, Alaska. Alternatively - just keep out of the way! Far easier.
If carrying a long arm (rifle) - that's a whole new set of issues. I'd keep the pistol at home locked in a safe. Noone else seems to need it, even in bear country.
For what its worth, in the army if I had to carry a pistol it was simply in a hip holster on my webbing belt.
Cheers
Reggie

Edited by aimless (05/16/16 04:24 PM)

#195356 - 05/16/16 07:51 AM Re: Best way to carry your gun [Re: Reggie]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I don't want this to be a flame war or argument as I am not an expert and know little about crocodiles. However, I think your info on alligators is not entirely correct. Google "swamp pole gun" and one should find the most common caliber to kill an alligator is a .22LR. This is in order minimize damage to the hide.

A shoulder strap pocket can be accessible and concealed. Just leave the zipper partially undone.

I agree that for most people the utility is more psychological than anything else.

#195360 - 05/16/16 12:15 PM Re: Best way to carry your gun [Re: PerryMK]
Reggie Offline

Loc: Europe
No argument or flame war here! Everyone has their own opinions. People always get too opinionated about these things - I don't want to contribute to that. In Australia crocs are protected, so getting small ones for hides is not on the plan. Its only the big ones that you need to worry about. Even then, you'd be lucky to see them before they got you. Given sidearms are very difficult to obtain permits for in Oz, and open carry is non-existent, it's a moot point.
Cheers, Reggie

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum