Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195136 - 04/27/16 02:41 PM Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd
Evalon Offline

Hello Backpackers smile

I'm looking for a new tent/shelter and hope people here may give me advice on interesting tents/shelters.

As it is my Hubba Hubba is no longer good and in search of a new one I've been inspired by Hilleberg's Rajd:

http://europe.hilleberg.com/EN/shelters/rajd/

However, my budget is somewhat lower (preferably no more than max. 200 Euros) and I'd also prefer a tent/shelter that is a bit more open, e.g. with part of the outer material transparent & possibly a bit more mesh on the inside parts.

Other criteria are a similarly low weight, fine functionality, and it needs be weather proof (three season, sustains heavy rain) ... Also, it needs be available from within the EU.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give wink

Cheers,

Jesper

#195138 - 04/27/16 04:19 PM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
That is a single wall tent... some people have problems with them in humid and sustained rain conditions

#195139 - 04/27/16 04:44 PM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: BZH]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
That is a single wall tent... some people have problems with them in humid and sustained rain conditions

At least Hilleberg warns you of that right in their description. Our single wall Lightheart Duo not only leaked in it's first rain storm with factory sealed seams, glad I paid extra to have them done!!!!!, but also is horrific with condensation. You basically need to leave it completely open and allow the rain to just blow in to stop it. We had to bail out of it at 2am one night to save our gear and ourselves from a complete and trip ruining drenching. A very, and I mean very, poor tent in rain. We just cowboy camp instead of using it when we can. Sorry for the rant. Beware single walls in wet conditions. One other caution: Never buy a tent that only has reviews with the tent set up in people's yards. Save you from getting something unworthy of being on the trail. I can't find a single review of my tent being used in actual backpacking. People are embarrassed to say they got taken. I know I am.

#195140 - 04/27/16 05:43 PM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
If you were pleased with your Hubba, why not replace it with the current version (the NX, in the states)?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

#195141 - 04/27/16 07:42 PM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
If you like that sort of design, take a look at the Tarptent Stratospire 2.
That is the tent I use if expecting rain and or if camping for a few days in the same spot.
That is because it has very large rain protected vestibules and becomes very much like a tarp if all the 4 panels are opened up (obviously when you can...)
I use the mesh inner with mine but a fabric inner is available too.
It should be somewhat around the Rajd price range shipped to the EU inc duty.
(if cost is the "should be available within the EU bit)
Lots of photos and videos on the net , or take a look on the product page :

https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html
BTW, unlike with freestanding tents, you need to be reasonably good setting up this kind of shelter to get them to perform well.
franco@tarptent

#195158 - 04/28/16 02:50 PM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
Evalon Offline

Hi all,

& thank you very much for your replies - which has actually led me to omit considering something similar to the Hilleberg Rajd. I much prefer the interior of my tent to be dry & not humid so with this in mind I will look for a double wall tent with an inner mesh tent.

@ Glenn Roberts: Regarding buying another Hubba Hubba then "yes" it could have been an option. However, the first Hubba Hubba rainfly has not lasted more than altogether ~ 4 months and now MSR don't supply the rainfly anymore so I'm a bit wary of buying a similar tent. It's also a bit more expensive (about 375 Euros) than my budget is.

@Franco: Thanks for posting & linking - I like the concept but before such a tent arrives inside Denmark it probably will be more than twice my budget ... smirk (we pay about 37% tax on both tent & shipping + USD 24)

... Reading your replies, however, made me think of my "ideal" tent which led me to draw up a sketch of what it may look like (almost attached image). It somehow looks like MSR's new thru-hiker shelters, yet with a bit more space upwards due to two transversal rods.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/...shelter/product

I have now tried to attach this drawing but I get a message that I can attach 0 bytes to my reply ?? Might one of you know how I can attach an image to my posts? Thanks if you can help wink

Cheers,

Jesper

#195160 - 04/28/16 03:22 PM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
From another recent thread:

Originally Posted By JustWalking
Go to Forum Help (in the menu bar at the top) and click the "+" sign next to 'How do I add an image to my message" (or something like that). Explains how.

Originally Posted By packlite
Reference the "..Usage Tips" forum (just below this one) and at the top is a thread with tips on posting photos.

The "this one" packlite is referring to is in the Admin. & Support sub-forum.

#195162 - 04/29/16 02:54 AM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
Evalon Offline

Hi 4evrplan,

Thanks for your feedback. As it is I actually did read the "how to include an image ..." section and also the "how to attach a file" section in the Help section but when trying to attach a file I got the message that the file size can be no more than 0 bytes - which is quite small crazy

Anyway I've now posted the drawing on flickr and hope that it will be able to attach as an image to this post (no, it didn't so I now insert the link below):

Tent drawing JM

As I wrote in my previous post it resembles MSR's new Thru hiker tents, however, there's more space upwards due to the transversal rods.

Again, I'd really appreciate if one of you have a suggestion as to where I may buy such a tent .. (within the EU <= 200 Euros preferably) smile

Cheers & thanks,

Jesper

Edited by Evalon (04/29/16 02:58 AM)

#195164 - 04/29/16 09:08 AM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Come to think of it, I think maybe posting images is restricted to members with 10 or more posts, if I'm remembering correctly. The flickr link works all the same. I like it. But, I don't know anything like it.

#195168 - 04/29/16 12:09 PM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
Evalon Offline

Hi ...

Quote:
Come to think of it, I think maybe posting images is restricted to members with 10 or more posts, if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks - that's useful to know. I'll just patiently post the remaining two posts and see what happens when I reach 10 posts. And then I hope one of the other Backpackers may know of a tent similar/close to my drawing ...

Cheers,

Jesper

#195171 - 04/29/16 07:05 PM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia

OK, so you are after a flat top inner with a tarp on top.
No, I am not aware of anything like that.
I suggest you make yourself a full scale mock up of that design, doing that it may become a bit more obvious why it isn't all that efficient for both space and use of fabric.
On top of that it would be difficult to prevent the inner banging against the fly in the wind.
(I could be wrong...)

the above photo is just to give you an idea of what I mean about full scale mock up.
That particular set up I did to demonstrate how much dead space there is inside a 4 sided pyramid tent (about 40Sq feet in that one...)

Edited by Franco (04/29/16 07:37 PM)

#195176 - 04/30/16 08:09 AM Re: Appreciate advice on alternative to Hilleberg Rajd [Re: Evalon]
Evalon Offline

Hi Franco,

Thank you also for your reply & suggestion.

I'm aware that there are a couple of "challenges" in the (preliminary) sketch I posted - e.g. that the rainfly may slap against the inner mesh tent when it gets windy.

Yet I think I've found some feasible solutions to these "challenges" which I reckon would make such a tent quite interesting (to me at least wink ).

Anyway, it still depends on whether or not such a tent is available somewhere ... hope someone here may actually know about it.

Cheers from Denmark,

Jesper

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum