Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194600 - 03/28/16 06:27 PM Iodine for water disinfection--warning!
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
First, my personal experience:
I have had to avoid iodine altogether because of sensitivity, caused by using it to disinfect my drinking water back in the 1980's. It took only 4 weeks of weekend hiking before i broke out in an nasty, all-over, deep-seated rash (lichen planus) which itched horribly and left permanent scars. I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy! Since then I've had to avoid all iodized salt, seafood, mutivitamin/mineral supplements containing iodine and any other foods containing iodine (many energy bars have it added). Even tiny amounts will trigger the rash. Basically, I have to (1) Carefully read labels on everything; (2) Avoid seafood altogether--including salmon; (3) Avoid restaurant food unless they confirm they use non-iodized salt or I order foods that can be prepared at the last minute without salt (often I'm stuck with green salad with oil and vinegar); (4) Turn down invitations to meals at the homes of friends or relatives unless they assure me that their food is prepared with non-iodized salt.

Second, the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry:
Quote:
Iodine is needed for your thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormones. You and your thyroid gland are healthy when there is just enough iodine in your body, about 10�15 milligrams, so that just the right amount of thyroid hormones are produced. This amount would look like much less than a pinch of table salt if if placed in your hand. This amount of iodine is in most people when they eat the foods that people normally eat in the United States. Your thyroid gland can become unhealthy if more or less than this amount of iodine is in your body. An unhealthy thyroid gland can affect your entire body.

Per the CDC's Water Disinfection for Travelers:
Quote:
Because iodine has physiologic activity, WHO recommends limiting iodine water disinfection to a few weeks of emergency use. Iodine use is not recommended for people with unstable thyroid disease or known iodine allergy. In addition, iodine should not be used by pregnant women because of the potential effect on the fetal thyroid.
[emphasis mine]

Edited by OregonMouse (03/28/16 06:37 PM)

#194601 - 03/28/16 07:32 PM Re: Iodine for water disinfection--warning! [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

In the 70's and 80's I purified my water by drinking copious amounts of C3H7OH. I never filtered and if the water looked really bad it was boiled. I never got sick, well.... some awful pounding headaches and queasy stomachs...
Seriously, that is a horror story, OM. I'm really sorry that happened. Thank you for relaying that very vital information. My wife, who takes thyroid medication and seems prone to reactions would not fare well with iodine treatment in water. I'm going to research how it might effect her in general food intake. We rarely eat salmon, but we're having it twice next week (smoked, in pouches) as part of our dinners in the Grand Canyon. Tough enough for us to get from river to rim without exacerbating her thyroid condition. Worth researching. I hate chlorine with a passion, so I'm very happy for packable efficient filters, that have kept us safe for quite a few years, now. Off to do some reading on iodine and thyroid conditions- thanks again OM.

Edit: I didn't find anything definitive, but it appears that eating foods that contain iodine isn't going to do much for or to my wife; at least in the short term. It was certainly worth checking, though.

Edited by bluefish (03/29/16 06:57 AM)

#195011 - 04/21/16 02:36 AM Re: Iodine for water disinfection--warning! [Re: OregonMouse]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
That's food for thought. I have had a couple mystery rashes that were pretty nasty in last couple of years...

#195095 - 04/25/16 07:04 PM Re: Iodine for water disinfection--warning! [Re: bluefish]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Thanks for the information. I do use a little Iodine, (one or two drops of 2% tincture of I in a quart) but we happen to mostly be where the water does not need disinfecting (we can see it melting off the glaciers or snowfields). I wouldn't be so confident, but my climbing buddies have been drinking untreated water for many many years without a problem other than the dementia which they had all along from the beginning. What the heck is C3H7OH? Did you per chance mean C2H5OH: Now that is something I can agree with, especially the type imported from Scotland.

P.S.
Hold on. I looked it up in a couple of reference books I have. Cyclopenten-1-olate. Hmm. " Narcotic in high Concentrations" says The Condensed Chemical Dictonary, 10th ed by Gessner G Hawley

#195363 - 05/16/16 03:06 PM Re: Iodine for water disinfection--warning! [Re: OregonMouse]
Reggie Offline

Loc: Europe
Iodine was banned in a 2009 or thereabouts European directive as a chemical for purifying drinking water.
A quick and pretty reliable water purification method is Potassium permanganate (KMnO4) aka Condy's crystals. You only need a 3 or crystals per liter (until it starts to turn pink), and let sit for 30 minutes.
In stronger doses, it's also a great antiseptic.
Don't overdo it on the drinking water unless you want your teeth to turn brown!

Edited by aimless (05/16/16 04:12 PM)
Edit Reason: signature links not allowed for newbie members

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum