Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195049 - 04/23/16 12:23 PM Terrain preference
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
What terrain do you usually backpack/camp in? Trail or off-trail? I post this because all the "advise" we give on this forum comes from our experiences, and each of us have different experiences based on where we backpack.

I am an ex-mountaineer/rock climber, so my trips are primarily off-trail through open high altitude (usually above 10,000 feet, Sierra and Rockies), alpine terrain. That is, once I get up past the timber on the first day where I do appreciate trails when timber/vegetation is thick so I can get above timber faster. I am not a fan of never-ending forests. I like open country and big views. So my "advise" comes from an alpine perspective.

In the winter I do odd-ball coastal backpacking. Early spring and late fall, more vegetated lower elevation hiking where timber and underbrush is thicker, but mostly as "conditioning" trips. Once the high country opens, I am out of the low lands!

I rarely do desert backpacking. The Grand Canyon has been my only desert trip.

After many years of serious winter mountaineering in my youth, I have no desire to get out in winter anymore. Been there, done that. Not interested in sub-zero backpacking in my old age! I will say that snow covered mountain terrain is really beautiful, and glad that I was able to experience it.

#195053 - 04/23/16 07:30 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Generally, I backpack on trail in Colorado. Usual altitude is between about 8,000 and 11,000 feet. I like anything from green tunnel to above the treeline.

My other hobby is road walking -- normally at night.

#195054 - 04/23/16 07:47 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: Gershon]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We like big views, so that does mean getting above treeline a lot of the time. But we also like camping around a few trees. Hiking for hours is a forest isn't as much fun. But I also like to fish, so I am wiling to put up with some forest at times to get some larger trout.

And yeah, we also like the desert.

So I guess anyplace is good with us!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195056 - 04/24/16 09:20 AM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I think that to a large extent it depends on where we learned about backpacking. My initial experience was in the Michigan forests where I grew up and started backpacking. To me backpacking is wandering through the woods, by small streams and remote lakes. I have been in mountains and deserts but I still feel most at home in the woods. To me the thought of backpacking brings up visions of spending the day wandering through the woods and spending the night camped next to a remote lake with no other people withing sight or sound.

#195058 - 04/24/16 10:02 AM Re: Terrain preference [Re: GrumpyGord]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
I think that to a large extent it depends on where we learned about backpacking. My initial experience was in the Michigan forests where I grew up and started backpacking. To me backpacking is wandering through the woods, by small streams and remote lakes. I have been in mountains and deserts but I still feel most at home in the woods. To me the thought of backpacking brings up visions of spending the day wandering through the woods and spending the night camped next to a remote lake with no other people withing sight or sound.

That expresses my experience very well. Though we are enamored of the Grand Canyon in current years, and have traveled to the Sierra and the Rockies multiple times, mixed hardwood and conifer forests do not feel like they are "blocking the view", rather, they are the view themselves. It's time for me to hike through them to camp on wilderness brook trout ponds!!!! We get out in winter as often as we do the more temperate times, with the concession we can't use 30 degree bags down to 0 like we use to. Having lived on the east slope of the Sierra after growing up on the east coast , I had a very radical dichotomous view on what constituted my favorite place to walk. For decades I missed the Sierra and thought them the epitome of places to hike, now I've come to appreciate wherever our feet take us. Dense forest with stream and pond, expanses of sky and granite, soaring canyons and cacti, it's all good.....

#195059 - 04/24/16 10:27 AM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
For me, it's the woods - partly because, as others said, it's where I learned. Also, it's because the woods are close - I can spend a couple of days walking through them once a month or more - anything in the West would be hugely complicated, involving planes, rental cars, etc., and would mean I'd maybe get out once a year.

There is open country in the East - the Roan and Grayson Highlands along the AT come quickly to mind; so does Isle Royale. Those are my big trips, once or maybe twice a year.

There's a stillness in the woods, even when there is noise. Perhaps it's a timelessness, I don't know; but there's something about knowing that the trees were there long before you were born and, with luck, will be there to greet your grandchildren. There's a connectedness there that I find comforting and renewing.

Like Daisy, I got my "I can camp in sub-zero" T-shirt. Since it's still in pretty good shape, I don't feel any compulsion to get a new one, so I rarely go out when it's going to be below freezing at night. I also used to camp in the rain, but now there are some places that are no longer worth spending half a day cleaning mud off my gear.

I spend a lot of time helping lead groups of beginners - I believe the best way to ensure trails survive is to put more people out on them. I also tend to experiment with gear, so I can better advise them on selection.

I'm also older (66), so I'm more interested in quality of the experience than in making miles - 8-12 miles a day is plenty.

#195060 - 04/24/16 11:26 AM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Varies a good bit for me, but almost always on trails (or forest service roads, or some sort of pathway).

I agree with Grumpy Gord's comment:
"I think that to a large extent it depends on where we learned about backpacking."
And/or perhaps just where you live now and what's in reasonable driving range for most trips. For me that's the Pacific NW.

But I also agree with the idea that what we're used to drives us very much --- consciously perhaps but also subconsciously --- in how we think about backpacking, our sense of what's "right and normal". I've never hiked in true desert, but have now done a fair bit of "close to it" hiking, places people refer to as deserts (CA, NM, WY, AZ). Quite different, lessons to be learned, but also some assumptions and biases to un-learn.

#195069 - 04/24/16 03:02 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: BrianLe]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I prefer canyoneering. Box and slot canyons. Southern Utah is my mecca. I have hiked all over. My all time favorite place which doesnt have any slot canyons is The Red River Gorge in Kentucky. I know it better than the back of my hand

#195070 - 04/24/16 04:42 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: GrumpyGord]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I tend to stay closer to home, partly because it's close by and partly because I know the country. I'd rather be in the mountains, either in the East or out West. I like big views and I can't really get them in the woods. I don't often get them in the eastern mountains, but sometimes do. I've been from the Adirondacks to the West Virginia Appalachians to the Smokies and enjoyed them all, but it doesn't compare to what I have seen out West. I've enjoyed the desert, but prefer the Northern mountains of Wyoming and Montana. Out here, water is reasonably plentiful, so I don't have to worry too much about where to find it. In the flatlands, the wind just never seems to quit unless it's 90 or above, which it soon will be. My favorite times to get outdoor are the Spring and Fall, when the temperatures are moderate and the storms aren't too severe.

#195142 - 04/27/16 10:04 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
bobito9 Offline

I am such a generalist that it's hard for me to say any one type of terrain or vegetation, though if I had to choose only one, it would have to be the high mountains above treeline, likely the Sierra. But I really am deeply in love with nature in all its forms, with biology and geology alike. A friend of mine kids me that every trip I ever come back from, no matter where, I always rave about how it is one of the best trips I've ever done smile Another buddy of mine, who I've done quite a few high alpine trips with, just never understands why I also want to do trips in Big Sur, or at the bottoms of canyons, or in deserts, or why I have to stop and look at bugs and flowers all the time. I suppose I am most dubious of flat places...but I loved backpacking through dense tropical rainforest in Costa Rica: no far-reaching views and it was pretty flat, but that was one of the best trips I've ever done smile
Speaking of having a love that comes from where you first started backpacking, I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks and from those oak forests, I have always carried a certain affinity for the oak forests of California, although my preference in that regard is more a mixed oak and conifer forest. Something about Big Sur stirs up some feelings of warm familiarity in that regard (not that Missouri is much like Big Sur:)

#195147 - 04/28/16 09:47 AM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I prefer any place I actually get to go.

In all seriousness, my experience is pretty limited, and I don't think I'd be comfortable above tree line solo without more preparation. Nor would I be comfortable camping in snow or temps less than about 25F at the absolute lowest. I do like a bit of a view, even if only a few rolling hills or low bluffs, but I'll take what I can get. Though I haven't hiked any coastal areas, I bet the ocean would qualify as a decent view. But, hiking the closed-in pine forests of east Texas is better than not hiking!

My family lived for a very short time in Colorado when I was a baby, and the only memory I have of it from that time is the wildflowers on an open ridge in spring when there were still patches of snow in shaded areas. I've taken short trips to Colorado in the intervening years, but always for visits or to ski. I'd love to get back to hike sometime.

#195149 - 04/28/16 12:00 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
When I lived in CA my favorite places to go were generally above 6000 ft where the forests started getting thick and below the tree line. I hiked and camped near the tree line a lot, but never went above it much at all and never camped above it.

I love the terrain here. The hills and hollows and creeks and rivers are all fun to explore and full of character.

"You want to go where?"

#195155 - 04/28/16 02:07 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: bobito9]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By bobito9
I am such a generalist that it's hard for me to say any one type of terrain or vegetation, though if I had to choose only one, it would have to be the high mountains above treeline, likely the Sierra. But I really am deeply in love with nature in all its forms, with biology and geology alike. A friend of mine kids me that every trip I ever come back from, no matter where, I always rave about how it is one of the best trips I've ever done smile Another buddy of mine, who I've done quite a few high alpine trips with, just never understands why I also want to do trips in Big Sur, or at the bottoms of canyons, or in deserts, or why I have to stop and look at bugs and flowers all the time. I suppose I am most dubious of flat places...but I loved backpacking through dense tropical rainforest in Costa Rica: no far-reaching views and it was pretty flat, but that was one of the best trips I've ever done smile
Speaking of having a love that comes from where you first started backpacking, I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks and from those oak forests, I have always carried a certain affinity for the oak forests of California, although my preference in that regard is more a mixed oak and conifer forest. Something about Big Sur stirs up some feelings of warm familiarity in that regard (not that Missouri is much like Big Sur:)

Nice post, Bobito. We've had many of the same experiences...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195159 - 04/28/16 03:21 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I live in western Oregon and therefore my 'backyard' mainly consists of the Cascades along with some lesser known mountains a bit further east. My preferred terrain is based on my familiarity with and the easy availability of those mountains.

I tend to prefer the areas up near, but not above timberline, where there are still trees, but also frequent open views. The big volcanoes of the Cascades don't have nearly as much high open alpine terrain, entirely above the tree line, as the Sierras do, and I like to have the bit of shade that trees provide since my skin doesn't appreciate a lot of sun exposure. Just in terms of solitude, I gravitate toward creeks as my water source rather than camping next to lakes, but I don't always have that choice.

#195297 - 05/08/16 02:37 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: aimless]
Danmaku Offline

Loc: IL
You can usually find me inna woods, both on-trail and off. Living in the Midwest means it’s easy for me to get to a forest without too much driving, planning, etc. But I’m looking to expand my range this year... hearing about all this beautiful terrain is fueling my wanderlust smile

#195301 - 05/08/16 04:55 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: Danmaku]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Although definitely not a mountaineer, I am probably more similar to Wandering_Daisy in my terrain preferences: Near, at, or above timberline, in the mountains, is my kind of country! However, I prefer on-trail or easy off-trail. I've never been comfortable with talus, even the so-called "easy" variety. Now that old age is catching up with me, I'm having balance issures, so it now has to be easy trail and shorter trips. I'd like to do one more trip to Wyoming's Wind Rivers before I get too decrepit, but it may not happen. If not there, the Wallowas in eastern Oregon. And there are always easier portions of Mt. Hood's Timberline Trail, an hour or so drive from my home, as long as I can put one foot in front of another!

I don't mind some hiking in old growth forest (I did some short day hikes in the redwoods of northern California week before last), but I really do prefer being out in the open, above it all with the spectacular views!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/08/16 04:59 PM)

#195378 - 05/17/16 04:21 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: wandering_daisy]
Reggie Offline

Loc: Europe
I too am a generalist. I first started in southern hemisphere temperate forests recreationally and as a wildlife ranger - this is my first love. I spent an awful lot of time in semi-arid areas, desert, and tropical rainforest/jungle in Australia into Papua New Guinea and Malaysia in the army. Plus a few other places around the world.
I've spent a lot of time recreational hiking in California - mountains and along the coast.
I love mountains - being above the treeline is great. I climb, but not much. Currently in the Pyrenees. Unfortunately the ski season is over and my beloved snow is gone. But the spring flowers are coming out.
I guess dense-ish forest is my first love. Open desert and grasslands are just a job. Mountains are great - close second place to forest.
Reggie

#195381 - 05/17/16 06:28 PM Re: Terrain preference [Re: Reggie]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Speaking of redwoods and dense forests, my youngest son also recently did a hike in Prairie Creek Redwoods in northern California (two weeks before I did). He reported that once he and the kids got away from the road, he's never been in such a quiet place in his life. Even his children (11, 14, 16) were awed into silence!

So if you value the "sound of silence," that's a good place to go!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/17/16 06:32 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum