Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194925 - 04/14/16 11:44 PM Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: TomD]
MarcusP Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hi there I'm marcus 45yr old male. In pretty good shape. Anyway I'm going to visit in laws this June in Cody Wyoming. It's been a lifetime dream to do backcountry hiking and I'm finally going to do it. I already bought an osprey pack off ebay and a pair of boops I'm working on breaking in. I'm looking for a tent and a bag. So many choices so many reviews. I don't want to spend more than 100 for the bag and 200 for the tent. This is starting to add up quick. Like I said I'll be in Yellowstone early June but I live in ohio and will do most of my hiking here in the east. Mostly spring and fall so cold weather will be a factor. I'm completely new at this so any advice on gear or planning would be much appreciated.

Edited by aimless (04/15/16 01:20 AM)

#194926 - 04/15/16 01:19 AM Beginner Seeking Advice
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
This post was removed from the READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING A GEAR QUESTION thread in the Lite Gear Talk forum, moved to Backcountry Beginners and given its own thread to make it more accessible.

Edited by aimless (04/15/16 01:24 AM)

#194929 - 04/15/16 12:14 PM Re: Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: MarcusP]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Be aware that many parts of Yellowstone in early June will just be coming out of winter. Expect the likelihood of snow (although it generally will be a few inches which melts off in a day or two) and below-freezing temps at night. Also snowpack not yet melted at higher elevations or in areas of dense timber.

You might want to read my next post below (Where to start?) with links to a lot of useful articles. Also phat's "sticky" article above. Both writers live in the Rockies. One problem is that the gear warmenough for early season in Yellowstone may be a bit too warm for Ohio.

Do pay attention to what the YNP rangers tell you about bears! You will need an overnight permit, and I believe they make you watch a presentation before giving you the permit.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/15/16 12:55 PM)

#194935 - 04/16/16 06:19 PM Re: Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: MarcusP]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
My advice is to spend money on a quality sleeping bag first. You have enough budget that you can get a quality down sleeping or quilt, but it would leave much left for a tent.

Have you thought about renting some gear (like a tent)? It's a good way to find out if this sport is for you before spending large amounts of money. It is not a great idea to spend large amounts of money until you know what you want. But.... I've never met anyone who has regretting buying a quality down bag. They also hold their value well if you decide to sell it.

Are you going with anyone else on your first outing?

#194937 - 04/16/16 07:32 PM Re: Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: BZH]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I've never met anyone who has regretting buying a quality down bag.

Way back when I was a teenager in high school I went on a science field trip to the desert in May. I'd been camping many times before, usually in August with my family, but this was the first time I'd slept under the stars on the ground on frosty night.

There was another guy a year older than me who was sleeping about 10 feet away from me. He had a down-filled mummy bag. I didn't. I froze. He was toasty. From that morning onward I have considered down sleeping bags as something of a miracle. I scrimped and saved and bought one as soon as I could afford one. It was of mediocre quality, but I have never regretted it. grin

#194951 - 04/17/16 07:23 PM Re: Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: aimless]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I have a buddy of mine that backpacks yellowstone almost full time. He lives in Jackson hole. Also I have been around lots of bears hiking in the Canadian Rockies. Black bear wont mess with you and for the most part neither will grizzlies but on occasionally they will. My friend has had numerous bad experience run ins with grizzlies in Yellowstone. Also moose will have new borns with them in June . The females are very aggressive when they have a calf with them. Do your research before going into the backcountry. As for gear for what you are paying, and it still being cold there, you will be carrying some weight. You can get a Marmot Trestle !5 for about 100 bucks. Its a synthetic bag that warm but it weighs 4lbs and a north face storm break tent which weighs 3.5lbs for 130 bucks. both from REI. Both good prices. Weather seal your tent

#194967 - 04/17/16 10:03 PM Re: Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: aimless]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I've got a bunch of synthetic bags with ratings down to 0 F. Of those, I've got a couple that might be comfortable down to freezing. I've got an old REI down bag that I bought in the seventies that I have yet to have a cold night in. It's important not to have a bag that is too large, since you can waste heat on the empty space. I prefer a barrel shaped or tapered bag over a mummy bag and currently use a Climashield quilt down to freezing. Another important consideration is your sleep suit. Down to freezing, I wear an army surplus LWCWUS top and bottom with Merino wool socks and a Merino wool balaclava Buff. My sleep socks would not normally be worn during the day to keep them dry and un-matted.

#195045 - 04/23/16 08:19 AM Re: Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: BZH]
MarcusP Offline

Thanks for the advice after exhaustive research I found a marmot sawtooth 15 for $100. I couldn't pass it up. Also bought a mountain hardware light path tent and a cheap pad. Going to northern Alleghenys next weekend first overnight hiking. I can't wait to finally hit the trail

#195046 - 04/23/16 08:47 AM Re: Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: aimless]
MarcusP Offline

I did buy a marmot sawtooth 15 I think I got a good deal $100 used. I wasn't sure down or synthetic. I went with down albeit a cheaper down bag over synthetic because all the research and feedback leads to down being superior in warmth weight and comfort. All geared up and ready to hit the trail. Thanks for advice

#195051 - 04/23/16 04:16 PM Re: Beginner Seeking Advice [Re: MarcusP]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Be sure to let us know whether the trail hits back! smile

Seriously, we'd all be very interested to know how that first trip goes - please post a trip report.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum