Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194688 - 04/01/16 11:57 AM Questions About Making Apparel From Patterns
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I don't have any specific plans, so this post is more for future reference...

I've never made anything from a pattern (except a few pieces of my WIP backpack), but I'm wondering, do clothing patterns come with instructions on how to resize them, or do you buy a specific size pattern?

The idea of making a light and inexpensive wind shirt/rain jacket appeals to me, perhaps using Membrane. When you make up your mind to start a clothing project like this, what steps do you use to find a pattern you're happy with? Or is it better to reverse engineer an existing piece you like the fit of?

#194690 - 04/01/16 01:25 PM Re: Questions About Making Apparel From Patterns [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Normally you buy a specific size pattern. Please note that pattern sizes have little or no relation to retail clothing sizes! Always buy patterns by your body measurements.

I strongly recommend first making up the pattern in cheap fabric (utlity muslin or thrift store sheets), make sure it fits, and alter your pattern accordingly. Very few of us are standard size in all respects. It's a lot easier to alter a pattern before you cut it out in your expensive fabric!

Most patterns come with instructions, but some are better than others.

There are a few patterns that are multi-size, showing which line to cut on for which size. For those, it's even more important to do a trial fitting in cheap fabric first.

If you haven't sewn before, consider taking a basic class, if you can find one.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/01/16 01:27 PM)

#194692 - 04/01/16 02:40 PM Re: Questions About Making Apparel From Patterns [Re: 4evrplan]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Some pattern suppliers have outlines for a range of sizes on the patterns you purchase. For example, the Green Pepper/Rainshed parka pattern can be used for every size from small to XL. This particular pattern is designed for a liner but can easily be made without. By modifying this pattern and using light fabric, I have made a pullover hooded wind shirt that weighs 2.7 oz.

I endorse OM's recommendation that you take a sewing course if possible. Sadly, I leaned how to sew by trial and error. I'm pretty good at sewing now but it would have saved me a lot of money were I to have learned to sew BEFORE I took scissors to pricey fabric. Doing a trial run with cheap stuff is also a good idea; I think I'll give it a try for my next project 😂.

#194693 - 04/01/16 02:43 PM Re: Questions About Making Apparel From Patterns [Re: 4evrplan]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Most clothing patterns come with sizing options. You'll see lines to cut for different sizes...like a "range" of large, medium, small. Patterns are fairly true to size based on your measurements.
Where things get tricky the first few times of sewing patterns are things like collars, back yolks, button fronts...anything requiring interfacing and two fabric layers. You'll be cutting out shapes that make no sense until the final assembly. Make sure you understand "wrong side" and "right side" of your fabric.
Sippers are fun, as are button holes.
When you are done, you'll wonder why shirts cost $30 and not $500, with all the labor that goes into them. grin

The more you do, the faster you'll get. I've sewn hundreds of theatrical costumes and after a while, you don't bother reading pattern instructions....everything just falls into place.
Hint....get a rotary cutter and big mat, and straight edge.

#194697 - 04/01/16 05:00 PM Re: Questions About Making Apparel From Patterns [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

Thanks everyone!

Those Rainshed patterns look pretty complex. I was thinking something more minimalist like, for example, a Helium II or a Hypershell look-alike, though I'd be conflicted on whether or not to add pockets. It's nice to have a place to rest and warm your hands.

Something tells me I wouldn't be happy with it without some R&D, which I currently do not have time for, so this idea will go on the shelf for now.

#194698 - 04/01/16 05:05 PM Re: Questions About Making Apparel From Patterns [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

And this this would be the perfect fabric for it. Not breathable, but that's my choice. I don't sweat much, so the fully waterproof fabric would probably work better for me overall.

#194889 - 04/12/16 04:29 PM Re: Questions About Making Apparel From Patterns [Re: 4evrplan]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
The clothing patterns you buy at a sewing shop or walmart, generally cover a range. After you open the pattern up, you cut the lines that correspond to the size you want. You don't necessarily need to take a sewing class, but it will definitely help. You could just buy the cheaper patterns and practice with them. The common pattern brand at Walmart has decent instructions for beginners, and are really designed for beginners, so not too complicated. I think the brand is called Simplicity.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum