Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194477 - 03/24/16 10:25 AM Washing down
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We've owned our REI Sub-Kilo sleeping bags for about six years now, and that means that we've used them on about 750 miles of backpacking trips. Since we usually hike about 7-8 miles a day, that's about 100 nights in the bag, not counting some of our car camping trips. Ewww.

So as you can imagine, the bags had started to look a little grimy in places. We've meant to wash them for a couple of years, but it's such a major process that we never got around to it. Until now.

A visit to REI got us the NikWax soap for down bags, and Ifilled up the tub and away I went, first washing the bag, then soaking it for a while, washing again, and then seemingly endless cycles of rinse and rinse and rinse and repeat. Then the delicate process of slowing squeezing most of the water out of the bag, and about 3 hours in the dryer on the delicate cycle. But it worked.

What was a grimy old sleeping bag now looks more or less fresh and new. And we were surprised to see how well they filled out their big "pillow case" storage bags once we had washed them. Before washing, they were not nearly so fluffy--although it's possible we could have fluffed them up a bit in the dryer even without washing them. At any rate, they are now clean! I can hardly wait to get mine packed away in its stuff sack and on the trail again.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#194478 - 03/24/16 10:50 AM Re: Washing down [Re: balzaccom]
AlanL Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I use a Sub-Kilo also. But I probably only have about 40-50 nights in my bag and it doesn't stink yet so I haven't given it a bath. I love the weight of the bag but I think it should have been rated a 30 degree bag instead of a 20... or maybe I'm just cold natured.

#194494 - 03/24/16 02:48 PM Re: Washing down [Re: balzaccom]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
For many years, I washed my down in the bathtub with Ivory Snow and hung it to dry for days on end. I finally decided to see if there was an easier way. I am now using one of the oversize front loader washing machines at the laundromat. Depending on what sizes the items are, I might get two bags or a bag and a jacket in one load. I've been using Revivex Down Wash and can't complain. I washed a couple of bags and an old down parka last weekend. One of the bags and the parka did really well, but the other bag came out of the washer dripping wet. It's a heavy old bag and probably had more dust mites than down. I put the wet bag in one commercial dryer and the other bag and parka in a different dryer. I ran them both for more than an hour at the lowest heat settings. The bag and parka came out just damp while the other bag was still dripping wet. I took everything home and hung them to finish drying and equilibrate. I sprayed the parka with DWR. After a day, I ran the one bag and parka through my dryer on the delicate setting and checked the loft. They both turned out really well. The other down bag hung on the porch for three days until it was finally dry enough to finish. It was dry to the touch, but still clumpy. An hour in the dryer on delicate made a big improvement. This old bag has decent loft, but it's still heavy, so it will probably go in the back of the truck as a winter emergency bag.

#194495 - 03/24/16 03:06 PM Re: Washing down [Re: wgiles]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Once again--the method recommended for the Cadillac of sleeping bags works for all down! Western Mountaineering Product Tips and Care

Do consider the part about renewing the DWR on the outer shell after washing.

#194516 - 03/24/16 09:48 PM Re: Washing down [Re: OregonMouse]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I was a aware of the WM recommendations, but had started started using this procedure prior to that. Knowing that they recommend this does make me feel that I have made a good choice. I've just started using the McNett DWR spray and don't have enough experience with it. It does seem to make the fabric stiffer, but a trip through the dryer helps to soften it. I've never used a dwr treatment on a sleeping bag, so I'm a bit apprehensive about doing so now. I have never given it much thought, since I try hard to keep the bags from getting wet. I might give it a try on one of these old bags and see what I think.

#194520 - 03/25/16 07:53 AM Re: Washing down [Re: wgiles]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
I've had very good luck using Atsko Sport-Wash on all of my down items. A second-hand down jacket had been stored in its stuff sack, sitting on a concrete floor in the South for an entire summer. When I received it, the jacket smelled musty and the down was flattened. One short trip through my front-loading washer with some Sport-Wash removed the odor and restored the loft beautifully. Usually, I line dry my down items after spin-drying, then fluff in a dryer. Before we had a front-loader, I washed my bags in the top loader, using the washer only as a tub and to spin. It is easy enough to turn off the machine and hand-agitate the contents, and the washer is certainly easier to use than a bathtub for this purpose.

Silicone spray as a shell treatment flattened my bags, but Atsko Water-Guard non-silicone treatment did a really great job. My $.02 and experiences...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum