Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192948 - 12/22/15 11:41 AM Hiking in cold weather
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
A follow-up to some of the conversations here about what to wear when you are hiking in cold weather:

So I have a problem. When I hike (or bike) I get really warm. In fact, when it's 30 degrees out, I have been known to hike in a single thin hiking shirt. Yeah, I was going uphill, and working hard, but I was not cold. And by stripping down to that single long-sleeved shirt, I kept myself from sweating up a storm. That's crucial in cold weather.

But here's the problem. THE MINUTE I stop hiking, I throw on every bit of clothing I have, and I still shiver uncontrollably, because my skin temperature is down around 50 degrees, and it cools off my body completely.

The other day I want for a bike ride with the air temp in the low 40's. I had a cycling jersey and a nice cycling jacket over it. Within minutes, I was sweating bullets. I zipped down the jacket to my navel (going for the Italian Stallion look!) and then zipped down the cycling jersey as well. So for two hours of the ride, I was moving through 40 degree air at 15-20 mph, and wasn't cold at all, nor was I wearing anything on my chest. I was sweating a bit on the back of my neck, where I had two layers of clothing.

I walked in the door of my house, which was 68 degrees, and starting shivering because my chest was about 45 degrees, and was immediately serving as a huge radiator for the rest of my body.

I doubt anyone has a solution for this....but I have to wonder if others don't suffer from something similar.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#192961 - 12/23/15 01:57 PM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: balzaccom]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I understand the phenomenon you're talking about, but I suspect that you're a bit more towards the extreme end of it. I too "run hot". The more common problem with me in cold weather is just that I will inevitably have some perspiration on my skin and clothing when I stop and almost immediately put on (a) warmth layer(s). But for me, the core warmth persists longer, I'm still shedding heat for a good while after I stop.

The balance point I strive for is to try to cool down just enough that I still retain plenty of heat, but not so much that I'm sweating after I put on more clothing. I can never just stop, stay plenty warm, and have no perspiration, but trying to optimize between sweating and cooling is worth thinking about.

The only suggestion I can think of for you is to perhaps not "just stop", but plan your stops and slow down, cool down some as you approach your stop point, perhaps even to the point that you can add a light layer before you stop. But I can easily believe that this just wouldn't work, that perspiration would continue.

Another option is the vapor barrier approach --- perhaps a long-sleeved VB inner layer, add that shortly before you stop and then your warmth layer(s). Less comfortable to retain the moisture, but at least you shouldn't be shivering! This site has sold VB stuff for many years: http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing/

Here's their treatise on the benefits of VB:
http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier/

I am NOT pushing VB as some great universal solution. Most folks in most conditions won't prefer it (I don't), but it certainly has its uses in the right situations.

#192970 - 12/24/15 06:41 PM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: BrianLe]
balzaccom Offline

Thanks, Brian. Not sure I'm sold on the idea of vapor barrier yet, but I will make a more serious effort at "tapering" down my exertions so that I can balance this out a bit more.

My wife, of course, is just the opposite. She can hike in full cold weather gear for hours without warming up, but when she stops, she stays the same temperature. So I am shedding clothes right and left as we hike, and the shivering when we stop. She starts out by laying up...and then stays warm even if we stop for half an hour!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#192972 - 12/24/15 11:29 PM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: balzaccom]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
My temperature control is like your wife's. So I am not sure what I say will help much. Sweating is rarely a problem. So I do not have much to advise about sweating just after stopping.

Perhaps, you go to fast! Maybe do not get into a sweating pace in the first place. I am very much a "turtle"-- go slow and steady and stop very little. I think this approach works better in cold weather.

Are you using your head (literally). Controlling the warmth of my head and neck do a lot for my temperature control. The first thing I do when I stop is to put on a hat.

And have you tried various base layers? I cannot hike in many nylon shirts or fleece. They make me sweat. I find a very thin pure wool layer is the best. I would think many bike jerseys may be too wind-proof- maybe they do not breath well. I do not like bike jerseys. It may be lycra in them.

#192976 - 12/25/15 10:46 AM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: wandering_daisy]
balzaccom Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Perhaps, you go to fast! Maybe do not get into a sweating pace in the first place. I am very much a "turtle"-- go slow and steady and stop very little. I think this approach works better in cold weather.

And have you tried various base layers? I cannot hike in many nylon shirts or fleece. They make me sweat. I find a very thin pure wool layer is the best. I would think many bike jerseys may be too wind-proof- maybe they do not breath well. I do not like bike jerseys. It may be lycra in them.

Haven't tried a wool base layer. That's worth a shot. But I do sweat whenever I exercise. My wife loves the idea that I should hike slower....!

#192984 - 12/26/15 06:40 AM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: balzaccom]
bluefish Offline

Same scenario for me. Wife dry, me soaked. I try to stay fueled and hydrated, which helps the pre-hypothermia tremendously. I've had it so bad on training rides on the bike, I've lost my sense of balance. We're doing a pretty grueling trail in the Adirondacks today, and I plan on doing it in a t-shirt and headband. High should be about 30 on the way up. I have a fleece and a shell for a rest stop at the top, most likely wear the shell on the way down. I have zero intention of walking a slower pace, I prefer to hike ahead and look around and explore while waiting for my wife. Staying a bit on the cold side and fuel and fluid has been the key for me. I often carry a spare shirt. Changing out is an instant bit of warmth. I try to be more careful on multi-days, so I don't have to bring lots of spares.

#194347 - 03/18/16 10:38 PM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: BrianLe]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I have read Stephenson's philosophy on Vapor Barriers before, and had discussions with people in the Backpacking business on the subject. The latest version is longer but doesn't add much to the argument. The premise is unsubstantiated. He says, "if humidity next to your skin reaches 100% (meaning it can’t hold any more water vapor), evaporation stops, chilling stops, and “insensible sweat” stops."
That is probably not true. Anesthesiologists have studied this for years and actually can tell you exactly how much you sweat under all temp/humidity conditions. That evidence does not support Stephenson's claims. On the other hand, I find it most interesting that many arctic adventures say they could not get by without a Vapor Barrier; so there must be something to it. Interesting. I always immediately get condensation with a VB, even when sleeping in the relatively cold outdoors.

#194350 - 03/19/16 01:37 AM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: balzaccom]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I'm like you, I sweat at the drop of a hat, so I can commiserate. A thin wool base layer can help, at least it works for me (I actually use a wool blend base layer from KUIU). And I agree with whoever recommended pacing your stop instead of stopping all at once, donning layers as you do - that could give your body a chance to regulate its temp. You could also, after donning your layers and stopping, do some jumping jacks. And definitely put a warm hat on as you slow to stop.

#194351 - 03/19/16 01:40 AM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: Jim M]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I'm a big fan of VBLs in cold weather when at rest (I never use them while on the move, pretty much just at camp). I like sleeping in VBL - keeps me warm and protects my quilt/bag. I've been using them with much success for a few years.

Andy Skurka has a very good piece on VBLs on his site: http://andrewskurka.com/2011/vapor-barrier-liners-theory-application/

#194356 - 03/19/16 11:14 AM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: JustWalking]
balzaccom Offline

That's a great article. Thanks for the link.

As a cyclist, I am always expecting to sweat when I exercise--and even welcome it. In snow, that's not such a great point of view. I'll have to spend more time hiking in the snow to get myself used to modulating my rate of exertion to minimize perspiration.

Oh darn.

#199484 - 11/12/17 06:29 PM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: balzaccom]
Adventurejus Offline

Loc: NC
I have the exact same problem! It's a constant balancing act between layers when backpacking. I'll wear only a patagonia mid layer merino wool long sleeve shirt hiking in 30F degree weather just to keep from sweating too much. I'll have my fleece layer and down jacket easy access so when I stop I can throw one or both on to stay warm. I'll constantly take off and put on my beanie for the same effect. When it's colder out like -20F - 0F I can't push myself too much because I will start sweating and it's too cold to be exposed. It's annoying but it is what it is. Just have to find a medium pace that won't overheat my body and cause too much sweating.

For mountain biking I just accept I am going to be drenched and if need be bring a second shirt/base layer during cold rides. Always have a change of clothes in my car too so I can put warm dry clothes on immediately after a ride.

Edited by Adventurejus (11/12/17 06:31 PM)

#199665 - 12/02/17 09:53 PM Re: Hiking in cold weather [Re: balzaccom]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I just re-read your post. Your question is a very good one, I think, because it points out how there are significant individual differences. Advertisements for "breathable" raingear would suggest that your sweat evaporates and passes through the material leaving you dry. Well, maybe, some. But Hiking up hill with a pack on your back you will always get wet with sweat. I do, and I sweat less than my friends. Individual differences would suggest experimenting with different clothing options, different pace, different diet, hydration, etc.
Not much help, I know.
One more thing. When I stop I don't get cold as quickly as my friends and I think this is because I have more fat on my body. I think fat insulates and makes a difference. Not that I recommend being overweight.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum