Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193944 - 02/28/16 02:39 PM Hanging Food
hikingdoe Offline

Loc: Illinois
Should I hang my food on every trip I take? Even if there is no danger of bears?

#193946 - 02/28/16 03:03 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: hikingdoe]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I generally do something to protect my food even though I know that bears are not likely to be a problem. Mice can be a real problem as can raccoons and even skunks. In my area pack rats, ringtail cats and ravens can try to get at your food. So, yes, it is a good idea to protect it. You don't need to hang it but it needs to be in something that mice can't chew through and that raccoons can't haul off. I use an ursack or I hang, sometimes both.

#193953 - 02/28/16 05:55 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: hikingdoe]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
Squirrels, mice, coons and possums all like a free meal and can be pretty persistent, especially when they become habituated to humans. I have never hung food in the Midwest, but don't see any harm in it. Just make certain that climbing animals can't get it. Squirrels can empty a bird feeder pretty quickly. As was mentioned, an Ursack or similar might be the best idea. It's a good idea to get in the habit of separating your camp and kitchen, even though the critters are no real threat to you.

#193954 - 02/28/16 05:57 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: Pika]
bluefish Offline

I've had skunks, possums, racoons, mice, squirrels, marmots,coyotes,kit fox, ringtails, ravens,canada jays, seagulls, porcupines, and last , but not least bear, visit my campsites and have never had a real problem, as food was always hung, in a bear can or a metal can.
It'll give you peace of mind when things go scrath, scratch in the middle of the night. The Ursack that Pika mentioned is worth looking into.

#193974 - 02/29/16 08:39 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: wgiles]
hikingdoe Offline

IF I decide to hang should I follow the same bear bagging protocol? Branch 20ft high, 4ft out?

#193980 - 03/01/16 09:12 AM Re: Hanging Food [Re: hikingdoe]
bluefish Offline

Not the worst practice, but probably don't need to go so high for smaller critters. I also don't bother to counter- balance, as they are very unlikely to chew through a cord wrapped around a tree. I just make sure it's hung down enough where little paws can't reach. In areas with habituated bears, all bets are off. I use a bear can and either hang it, or put it where it can't roll off. I've had a bear play a little soccer with my Garcia. It got bored after a few minutes and moved on. It did leave me some scat as a comment . Not that many areas require bear can use; I've used them in the Eastern High Peaks of the Adirondacks (required) , in the Sierra (required in some areas) and the Great Smoky National Park. I also use them in some areas close to me on backwoods ponds and ridge tops carpeted in blueberries where the bear population is high. Of course, this is just what I have done, and my experience. If it makes you feel better to go the further step, DO IT! Good for the animals, good for your peace of mind.

#193991 - 03/01/16 09:05 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: bluefish]
hikingdoe Offline

Thanks alot! I probably will hang just because I am not ready to invest in a can (and dont want to carry it). I like the peace of mind if nothing else.

Cheers

#194261 - 03/15/16 09:54 AM Re: Hanging Food [Re: hikingdoe]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If I am not in bear country, I just keep my food in my pack in my tent.

#194267 - 03/15/16 05:48 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't hang my food, because I am the world's worst thrower (plus having shoulder arthritis which is exacerbated by throwing motions). Besides, finding the right tree (if any are around) can take forever. I use an Ursack which is tied to the trunk of a tree. In the rare cases in which a canister is required (such as the Olympic NP coast, where a hard sided canister is required, not for bears but for voracious rogue raccoons), I use a canister.

You really don't want food in your tent. First of all, it might attract a passing bear that normally would just go on by. You don't want to be responsible for a bear's learning that tents can have food inside! Second, there are mice and other rodents which can do considerable damage while you sleep. I remember (from many yeats ago) the time I inadvertently pitched my tent over a mouse hole…. Then there are insects, such as ants!

Do note that in some areas, a hard-sided canister is required. In many cases, you can rent canisters in those areas.

#194359 - 03/19/16 04:32 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: hikingdoe]
bobito9 Offline

I just want to add the warning that it isn't just food you have to worry about being securing from critters. Several times I have had sweaty clothing items stolen or chewed up at night by deer seeking them for the salt. Once, I had my socks stolen, my belt chewed in half, and my brothers backpack and boots chewed on, all at night while we slept (and my dog, who was in the tent with us, growled). We had left them around camp. Now, at a minimum, I keep my boots and socks in the tent at night. It's tough to get everything into the tent,though, so I take my chances somewhat with my backpack. I at least try to keep it in a garbage bag.

Edited by bobito9 (03/19/16 04:32 PM)

#194492 - 03/24/16 12:43 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I've had a tent destroyed by fire ants after eating cookies in it when I was young and didn't know any better. Luckily, we'd left the tent by the time it was overwhelmed.

#194498 - 03/24/16 03:16 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: 4evrplan]

I once camped in an area which turned out to be about 100 yards from a head-high ant nest. Not fire ants, but eastern Oregon red-and-black ants. Fortunately there was nothing to attract them in the tent, but I was very happy that we were in a closed, carefully zipped up but netting tent and not sleeping in the open under a tarp!

I suspect that if there had been any food in the tent, they'd have chewed it up pretty thoroughly.

One argument for scouting the neighborhood before setting up camp….

Edited by OregonMouse (03/24/16 03:18 PM)

#194499 - 03/24/16 03:21 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Will they smell food and travel 100yards overnight? That's amazing!

#194500 - 03/24/16 03:31 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: 4evrplan]

They were all over the place by the time we finished dinner. I had to put the dog in the car because they were biting him!

#195042 - 04/22/16 08:53 PM Re: Hanging Food [Re: hikingdoe]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
I've given up hanging. I figure it's like hanging bait, calling to the bears. The last time I hung the bear went up and down the tree for 3 hrs breaking off every single branch until she got the one my food was on. I use a bear can in bear country and an ursack in other critter country ...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum