Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193481 - 02/04/16 04:41 PM silk mummy liners
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I've been thinking about buying a silk mummy bag liner to take my quilt down a few more degrees, and help keep the gear a bit cleaner too. And have sorta zeroed in on the cocoon expedition ( I particularly like the hood idea). Have been reading the reviews and they'd giving me pause to re examine this possible purchase. From the reviews I'm starting to get the impression that they don't add any appreciatble warmth to a sleep system. Last camping season I was a cold one night when the temps got down to around 34 ( diy down quilt that I targeted for 30) I was hoping that a silk liner would add 5-8 degrees . anyone else using such an animal? If it doesn't improve cold range, I'll have to change tack

#193482 - 02/04/16 05:01 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I got one back in 2006 and ditched it in a dumpster after two nights!

(1) By morning, I was so tangled up in it that it took me several minutes to get out of my sleeping bag!

(2) Once I ditched the thing, I didn't notice that I was any cooler, under comparable conditiions (rainy and upper 30s/low 40s F.

IMHO, save your money. If you're down to marginal temps for your sleeping bag, that's what your insulating clothing is for.

#193483 - 02/04/16 05:50 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I agree. IN fact, if you really want silk next to your skin, wear silk pajamas.

And we want photos..

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#193485 - 02/04/16 07:26 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
"We want photos"

Well, maybe not ALL of we. smile

#193487 - 02/04/16 09:32 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have a long-sleeved silk t-shirt and a pair of silk long underwear that I wear to keep my sleeping bag clean (or 'cleanish'). They are more versatile than a sleeping bag liner, since I can wear them at other times, if I need to.

#193489 - 02/05/16 08:07 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: aimless]
bluefish Offline

My silk underwear didn't have much longevity, though it was comfortable. Liner? I've tried non-silk ones and though I was well cocooned I did not emerge as a butterfly. Actually I felt more like a trapped, rabid wolverine trying to get out in the middle of the night to keep my bag dry! Getting back in is another story with a bad ending. I've gone to my puffy (which generally is relegated to "clean" use around camp and in the tent, and some light fleece pants. I'd much rather use a military poncho liner or a fleece blanket as an extender. They absolutely kick up the rating 10 degrees.

#193495 - 02/05/16 11:52 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: bluefish]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Well you all saved me 70$! Rather than going the silk route, I think I'll just buy a cheap pair of fleece bottons and start using the puffy jacket. I already use my polyprope thermals . sorry no pics. Maybe I could leave them at home next outing. Thanks to all for the replies

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (02/05/16 12:16 PM)

#193497 - 02/05/16 12:13 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
FWIW I use a Coleman Fleece Bag as a liner and it will give you some added warmth. They claim it adds 12⁰ of extra warmth. I don't about that, but it certainly will keep you warmer. It's not very heavy but I don't know what it actually weighs. Certainly more than a silk liner though.

"You want to go where?"

#193524 - 02/06/16 11:15 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
If warmth-to-weight is your focus, I'd skip the liner in favor of the equivalent weight of additional down in your bag or quilt.

I personally find liners to be a PITA, only use them in hostels and similar situations where they're required. But I know others who really like them, so I think this is yet another area where you're best off establishing your own preference. Perhaps you can borrow one from a friend, promising to gently wash it before returning it? The warmth-to-weight ratio isn't THAT unbalanced, so it's always possible that you'll find that it works for you. One other benefit that liner fans mention is that in warmer weather, sometimes the bag is a bit warm and having the bag as a sort of blanket plus the liner gives them some temperature flexibility.

#193533 - 02/08/16 10:55 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: billstephenson]
Johannes Offline

Loc: NE
Originally Posted By billstephenson
FWIW I use a Coleman Fleece Bag as a liner and it will give you some added warmth. They claim it adds 12⁰ of extra warmth. I don't about that, but it certainly will keep you warmer. It's not very heavy but I don't know what it actually weighs. Certainly more than a silk liner though.

From what I can tell online, it weighs 1.5lbs (680g). That's probably not precise, though. Not bad for the comfort and price.

#193537 - 02/08/16 12:00 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: Johannes]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

24oz's....ouy, that seems alot! I already carry a puffy jacket(costco) that I've never used when sleeping.....Looking back at the last outting, what bothered me the most was cold legs/feet. I like the idea of having clothing that in a pinch could also be used for cold mornings/evenings milling around camp. Fleece pants and down beeine are now on the wish list. And diy fleece booties are in the preliminary planning stage. Fairly sure these should come in at around 8 >10oz

#193545 - 02/08/16 06:52 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
The only experienced backpackers that I have come across that claim to use a silk liner are the ones trying to sell a used sleeping bag.

#193548 - 02/08/16 08:24 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Johannes Offline

I agree. 24 oz is pretty heavy. If you're looking for a liner, though, that may be the way to go.
Of course you could bring a blanket for about half the weight or go with a mylar blanket... In my experience, the mylar blankets don't add any warmth of their own. They only preserve existing heat. If you have a sleeping bag or underquilt and/or top quilt already, a mylar blanket or bivy may be just the thing. I have an SOL escape lite bivy and it weighs 148g!
If more layers works for you, that's brilliant. If you're like me, though, you sleep COLD.

#193550 - 02/08/16 09:34 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: Johannes]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My 20* sleeping bag (WM Ultralite size short) weighs only 25 oz. I'm not to sure why I'd want to double the weight to add maybe 10*.

Why not add a few ounces more down instead? Or wear your insulating clothing inside the bag? Or, ir it's below freezing, try a vapor barrier?

#193553 - 02/09/16 03:06 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: OregonMouse]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Sorry O.M., I wasn't clear- the mentioned gear was to be worn as part of my sleep system. The current quilt would remain a part of that system.

#193555 - 02/09/16 07:47 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
bluefish Offline

https://www.heatholders.com/
I've been using these as my sleep socks/back-up, and surprisingly, they work. My wife bought them for winter fishing(wading in 34 degree rivers for hours on end) and they worked so well compared to merino wool blends, I started to use them for backpacking. I question if they'd survive putting lots of miles on them, but I did use them a few weeks ago to hike out 11 miles , as my darn new boots are still breaking in and I had a hot spot developing. They're very soft and warm. 3.7 ozs. on my scale.

#193560 - 02/09/16 09:59 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: OregonMouse]
Johannes Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
My 20* sleeping bag (WM Ultralite size short) weighs only 25 oz. I'm not to sure why I'd want to double the weight to add maybe 10*.

Why not add a few ounces more down instead? Or wear your insulating clothing inside the bag? Or, ir it's below freezing, try a vapor barrier?

If there is a reason, it may be...

If you're a hammock camper:
-You may have a very warm underquilt, but no top quilt and you want something over top to trap the heat in. A liner could potentially be lighter or more compact than having extra clothing.

If you're a ground dweller:
-You may have no sewing skills/equipment.
-Money may be more important than weight right now.
-You may not like vapor barriers because you sweat a lot.

If these situations aren't the case, I think your ideas are the way to go, OregonMouse.

#193562 - 02/09/16 11:07 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
You can buy a 40-degree rated quilt that weighs around 12 oz.

Admittedly more expensive than this 24-oz thing, but ... wow. If you're looking to layer your sleep system, I'd think in those terms if $$$ allow this. I have a 30-degree bag and a 40-degree quilt that layer together just fine to provide a good deal of total loft.

#193568 - 02/09/16 02:20 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: BrianLe]
Johannes Offline

That's a pretty good solution, especially if you're looking for a modular system. I may have to steal that.

#193579 - 02/09/16 08:46 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: Johannes]
balzaccom Offline

Originally Posted By Johannes
That's a pretty good solution, especially if you're looking for a modular system. I may have to steal that.

I think you should buy your own, Johannes. ;^)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#193580 - 02/09/16 09:13 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: balzaccom]
Johannes Offline

Nope. I'm comin' to Napa. I'll drink all your wine, too.

#193600 - 02/11/16 12:32 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: BrianLe]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have to agree with you Brian. I've had that fleece bag for a long time now and it's held up great, but I haven't used it in a few years. I don't think it weighs that much, they come with a stuff sack so maybe with that added to it, but the biggest drawback I found was that it collects dirt and debris like a magnet.

I've got a decent down coat that I wear all day unless it warms up to the 40ºs and if I need too I lay it on top of my bag and it keeps me warm down to the low 20ºs. I'm sure it's not as good as a down quilt though.

"You want to go where?"

#193626 - 02/12/16 07:01 AM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: Johannes]
balzaccom Offline

Sub
Originally Posted By Johannes
Nope. I'm comin' to Napa. I'll drink all your wine, too.

LOL! We sure do K more at home than we do on the trail...

#194151 - 03/10/16 08:48 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: balzaccom]
rodwha Offline

Loc: Texas...for now
I've been looking at liners as well, though inexpensive ones. For me it's not so much about adding to the warmth as it is keeping my bags cleaner as I have oily skin. And then I figure it would make an excellent summer bag for TX.

I can't wear clothes unless they are tight fitting as I move a lot. But this has me wondering about the liner getting twisted much as clothes would.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#194158 - 03/10/16 11:08 PM Re: silk mummy liners [Re: rodwha]
bobito9 Offline

yeah, I've wondered about that factor, too, keeping my sleeping bag cleaner. Not just my oily skin but dirt, sunscreen, bug repellent. I really hate washing my sleeping bag, always afraid I'll tear it up. But I suspect the liner would bind up on me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum