Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194029 - 03/03/16 07:03 PM Tarps and Creepy Crawlies
hikingdoe Offline

Loc: Illinois
Right now I think I am comfortable with the idea of camping in a tent, however the idea of a tarp and ground sheet sounds neat. I would worry about critters and creepy crawlies snuggling up with me for the night.

Any experiences where unwanted guests become your camping buddies because you were out in the open?

Edited by hikingdoe (03/03/16 07:03 PM)

#194031 - 03/03/16 07:19 PM Re: Tarps and Creepy Crawlies [Re: hikingdoe]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've had experiences with ants and mosquitoes and ticks trying hard but not getting into my tent because I kept it zipped up. In bug season, with a tarp you'll need some kind of bug net if you want to stay sane (or at least unbitten). The result (tarp plus bug net plus ground sheet) will weigh as much as a light weight tent.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/03/16 07:19 PM)

#194032 - 03/03/16 07:56 PM Re: Tarps and Creepy Crawlies [Re: OregonMouse]
hikingdoe Offline

Loc: Illinois
Im thinking more like snakes, mice, spiders... scary things like that.

#194033 - 03/03/16 08:03 PM Re: Tarps and Creepy Crawlies [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
OM pretty well nailed it.

I've never had any real problems with snakes, and I hike a lot in timber rattler and copperhead country. I've never seen them at night, which may mean nothing more than I've never seen them; I don't know if they're nocturnal.

I've only had problems with mice in shelters on the AT.

Spiders are an annoyance, no more. (I've never had any encounters with poisonous spiders, just "daddy long legs" types.)

When I started, I used a tent. This was in the days before solo tents; since I usually slept alone, I ended up carrying a two person tent that weighed six or seven pounds. (The space was wonderful, but not wonderful enough to justify the weight. I never had bug trouble, but I often heard animals moving around the vicinity of the tent - and, since I couldn't easily see outside, imagination and ears indicated they were HUGE! I did once have a skunk wander into my vestibule, which was interesting but ended up being non-confrontational since it lost interest and wandered off.

To save weight, I became a dedicated tarp and groundcloth user; the tarp-and-groundcloth (later, tarp-and-bivy) weighed 3 pounds. Under a tarp, I've awoken to a deer grazing ten yards away from my camp, and I've had passing encounters with raccoons. I have even had a skunk come up to the foot of my sleeping bag and sniff; wiggling my toes sent it on its way with no lingering after effects.

With the advent of solo tents that weight less than 3 pounds, a tarp and groundcloth or bivy are simply irrelevant to me. I prefer an all-mesh (or at least top-half mesh) tent; on nice nights, I can leave the rainfly off and have all the pleasures of sleeping under the stars, without the bugs.

#194035 - 03/03/16 09:39 PM Re: Tarps and Creepy Crawlies [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bluefish Offline

Many years ago I spent a lot of time in spike camps in the Sierra and the mountains of Nevada cowboy camping, occasionally under a tarp. I had a few incidents with scorpions, but luckily wasn't bitten. In case you Sierra buffs wonder where there's scorpions, it was at about 7,000 feet elevation above Olancha. Both my wife and I have been bitten by spiders on separate occasions, as we experimented with tarps as we've gotten older and weight conscious. The worst tarp side -effects have been wind driven dust, rain and snow. If I mention tarp to my wife she starts getting that look.... We just bought a very comfortable tent that fits 2, all our gear, and still has space, and is under 2 1/2 lbs. with stakes and groundcloth included. I can roll up the doors on my tent and stargaze very well in any direction, yet it buttons up tight when needed. Tarp? It's what I cover my lumber piles and tools with.

#194038 - 03/04/16 12:05 AM Re: Tarps and Creepy Crawlies [Re: hikingdoe]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
We have an early season hiking area here (Henry Coe State Park) that is known for ticks. When I used a bivy sack with a bug net, I always managed to have several ticks attaching to me every day and at least one burrowed in deep. When I switched to a tent, fewer ticks, as long as I carefully removed then before I went in the tent, and none burrowed in. I really like the open feeling and star gazing with a bivy but now use a tent during mosquito season and anywhere there are ticks or biting ants. I have had a bear sniff my face when I cowboy camped, and it really was not too bad. I did, however, pack up and move a distance after that incident. One time I had bees swarm me while cooking and was really glad to have a tent to get into. You will inevitably occasionally get creepy crawlies if out in the open. Depends on how much that prospect really bothers you. And I agree with above posts. Really little point in a tarp and net if a tent weighs less. My bivy system weighs 1 lb 4 oz. My Tarp Tent weighs 2 lb 6 oz. The bivy is much more compact, so I can do an overnight with a day pack and there is no tent to have to set up. Nowadays with the light tents, it is more of a decision based on if you actually like to be out in the open.

#194044 - 03/04/16 01:11 PM Re: Tarps and Creepy Crawlies [Re: hikingdoe]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I've done some tarp camping, and a lot of "cowboy camping" --- no tent or tarp, sleeping under the stars in climates/environments where I'm pretty sure there's not going to be rain or significant dew.

I think all of the comments made so far are right on the mark. I would add that I consider a tarp to be a situational thing. There are trails and times/seasons on those trails where I like the tarp (or poncho tarp) option. More often, where I live, I want an enclosed tent. It's not about mice or rats or snakes or the like, it's about the insect kingdom, and primarily various flying insects. And indeed sometimes wind, though if you know the prevailing wind (which can shift in the night ...) a tarp can be staked out well to deal with that. A PITA in the dark of night, however, to realize that you want to adjust or just put up in the first place a tarp to block wind.

One issue with tent vs. tarp that I don't think has been said is the fact that an enclosed tent is a bit warmer. I've camped in snow with a tarp, and don't say that you should bring a tent as a way to stay warm (!) but it is one of many factors in picking the various bits of gear that make up your sleep system.

Okay, and one final one: animals DO act differently to enclosed tents. I recall on overnight trip tarp camping in snow with some friends; the next morning we decided to leave gear and do a day hike before heading home. I had taken down my tarp and collapsed my trench, just put all of my stuff in a yard waste type of bag. My friends left their tents up. On return from the day hike, a fox had torn into my plastic bag and spread my stuff all around with minor damage, whereas the tents were untouched. Often animals do see a fully enclosed tent as a tangible object. This rarely means anything IMO, so put it in context, but ... I guess "non-zero" if you're listing factors.

#194046 - 03/04/16 06:44 PM Re: Tarps and Creepy Crawlies [Re: hikingdoe]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
You can get bug nets that can be used with a tarp like these:

https://www.rei.com/c/bug-shelters?r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking|tents|shelters|bug-shelters&ir=category%3Abug-shelters

This one is made with insect shield and should be very effective against Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitos:

https://www.rei.com/product/849594/sea-to-summit-nano-mosquito-pyramid-insect-shield-net-shelter

I started out tarp camping many years ago and seldom had problems with bugs and never had problems with mice. That said, it depends on the season and the location. In peak bug season, a tent or bug net is desirable. A tent will not provide as much ventilation as a tarp and may be uncomfortably hot. In colder weather bugs aren't as much of a problem, except for ticks. When the ticks come out, probably this month or next, they will be thick. You are more likely to get them while hiking, but could pick them up at camp. Here in Illinois, Insect Shield has been the most effective deterrent for me. Socks treated with Insect Shield (Permethrin) have stopped almost all of my ticks and chigger bites. Overall, the choice of tent or tarp depends on where you are and what you want to do. In exposed country, tarps just don't provide much protection from wind, unless pitched right down to the ground. A free standing double wall tent provides much more protection, but at a weight and bulk penalty.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum