Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193759 - 02/20/16 11:44 AM Where to get maps?
Jacob_G Offline

Loc: Laramie, Wyoming
Hey all! I'm new here so I apologize if there is already a thread on this topic, however I was unable to find one so here I am.

My question is where to purchase good (detailed) topo maps of different areas. It seems like for many less popular national forests or parks the only place to get a good map is in person at the ranger stations.I would much rather be able to buy a lightweight map online to better plan my trip. I have looked online and found many options, but without first looking at the map I have a hard time trusting that it will fit my needs.

Does anyone know of a trustworthy source to get good maps from?

Thanks in advance!
Jacob

#193760 - 02/20/16 01:47 PM Re: Where to get maps? [Re: Jacob_G]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
You can buy maps online from the Forest Service here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/visit/maps

You can get USGS totpo quadrangles here:

http://store.usgs.gov/

The FS maps tend to be more up to date than USGS, but the USGS quads are much more detailed, if you are less concerned about manmade features and mostly want accurate topography.

There are many non-government topographical map publishers and most of those I've purchased maps from are reasonably good. The main thing to figure out is the scale of the map and whether that scale is suitable to your needs.

Edited by aimless (02/20/16 01:54 PM)
Edit Reason: added more info

#193764 - 02/20/16 09:32 PM Re: Where to get maps? [Re: aimless]
Jacob_G Offline

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

#193766 - 02/21/16 11:29 AM Re: Where to get maps? [Re: Jacob_G]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Depending on what you're looking for, another option is to print your own USGS maps for free. This is a good site from which to do that:
https://caltopo.com/map.html

USGS maps aren't generally up-to-date, but the underlying landform doesn't change, nor do major infrastructure stuff change too often, such as roads. Trails will sometimes change over time. But apart from the cost factor, it's wonderful to be able to print out a map for a last minute trip without having to get to one of the increasingly rare places where you can buy a map in person, or order online and then wait for your map to arrive.

I also like the fact that, since it cost me nothing more than blank paper and printer ink, I don't worry about "using up" a map sheet. I think that human nature being what it is, the ability to print out maps for free might help us collectively to sometimes bring along the appropriate maps, rather than relying on some combination of luck, signs, other hikers, and/or a gps.

#193770 - 02/21/16 03:47 PM Re: Where to get maps? [Re: Jacob_G]
Lonerock Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
If you have a smart phone then there are some really good options, especially for areas where good paper maps aren't available. If you have android, my favorite is Backcountry Navigator. The have many different map sources, including caltopo, Accuterra and openandro maps that allow you to download maps of entire states for offline use. These maps are often more current and detailed than USGS maps. My preference is to carry all of the following; 1) basic forest service map, 2) a ranger district map (which has contour lines) for the area I will be hiking and 3) my phone with gps and backkcountry navigator. 4) on rare occasion I'll download a usgs map but this rare since the only reliable information they have is topography and not current roads, trails,etc.

#193839 - 02/24/16 03:31 PM Re: Where to get maps? [Re: Lonerock]
Jacob_G Offline

Brian, excellent source, I will definately use this regularly! I love to draw on my maps and I find it hard to draw on a map that I paid $20 for.
My searching for a map has been due to a search for a specific trailhead. The directions I was given in order to find the trailhead used outdated road names that my usual source (google maps) didn't have. The USGS info actually still uses the old road names so I was able to find the trailhead.

As far as the Backcountry Navigator app goes, I tried out the free version for a little while in an attempt to avoid the purchase of a GPS last summer. Truthfully, I didn't much like having to rely on my phone. I prefer to charge my phone before I leave on a trip, then power the phone down. I only turn my phone on for one of two reasons, taking a picture or dialing 911. Having to fret over keeping my phone charged on multiday trips was too much of a hassle.

#193885 - 02/26/16 10:43 AM Re: Where to get maps? [Re: BrianLe]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By BrianLe
Depending on what you're looking for, another option is to print your own USGS maps for free. This is a good site from which to do that:
https://caltopo.com/map.html

USGS maps aren't generally up-to-date, but the underlying landform doesn't change, nor do major infrastructure stuff change too often, such as roads. Trails will sometimes change over time. But apart from the cost factor, it's wonderful to be able to print out a map for a last minute trip without having to get to one of the increasingly rare places where you can buy a map in person, or order online and then wait for your map to arrive.

I also like the fact that, since it cost me nothing more than blank paper and printer ink, I don't worry about "using up" a map sheet. I think that human nature being what it is, the ability to print out maps for free might help us collectively to sometimes bring along the appropriate maps, rather than relying on some combination of luck, signs, other hikers, and/or a gps.

I use caltopo almost exclusively. I like the fact that I can supperimpose the UTM grid at any interval I like directly onto the map. And, it generates a PDF onto an 8.5X11 size paper with a proper scale factor. And, everything BrianLe said. With the UTM grid, I can couple the map with a really cheap gps for pinpoint accuracy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum