Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193834 - 02/24/16 03:11 PM Initial impressions of the Lightheart Duo
bluefish Offline

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-duo-tents/product/view/6/5 Expeditious shipping! Received within 48 hrs. of ordering. Weighed out of the box with 8 ti shepard's hooks, it came in at 2 lbs. 5 oz. Set up is a little fussy, and care has to be taken with bringing the poles inside the tent. I'll probably carry a few wire nuts to protect the pole ends. I'll make sure the small baskets on the poles are clean, too. . The footprint is much larger than a Fly Creek 2 that I'm used to, so site selection is going to be a little trickier and setting up inside a shelter pretty well impossible. We'll keep the FC2 for that purpose, along with it being an under 2 lb. bug shelter for clear summer weekend trips. For tent platforms it may be necessary to bring some extra cord. I use a set of small hardwood wedges with a loop attached to jam into the plank cracks. I was guessing by the dimensions before I bought it that it would be spacious, and it is. Easily will fit 2 large pads and have the packs inside or out underneath the awning. I didn't buy the carbon fiber pole for the awning, surmising that a fully collapsed third trekking pole would do.
It does. The awning is large enough that my 5'11" frame can lay underneath it and be fully covered. Or is it lie? Though it's not. It would be a great place to have your dog set up with his own bed. It'll easily cover several packs and yes....the dreaded, warned against cooking in the rain.....
I'll leave it to the better part of valor for that... The other vestibule is a little smaller and will hold a couple pair of shoes and allow exit if the other is fully engaged. You do have the option of putting the packs in the tent, as there is plenty of length; thus making an unobstructed second exit. I can easily sit up in the middle and changing clothes will not entail any advanced yoga positions. Since the poles are inside the tent, adjustments can be made from inside if you get some wind and rain sag. I bought the cut- to- size Tyvek tarp, as I have no more kicking around, as I've gone to a different type of sheathing system in home building. All told with shipping, seam sealing,Tyvek and stakes just shy of 4 bills. The trail will tell the tale, I'll add more when that happens.

#193863 - 02/25/16 10:26 AM Re: Initial impressions of the Lightheart Duo [Re: bluefish]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
It will be interesting to hear what your longer-term take is on this tent. I've got a lot of miles on my Lightheart Solo and I'm a fan, but I've never talked to anyone that has a Duo.

I like the side exit and that the space is laid out to be where I want it --- high point in the middle, extra width sort of mid-body. The sewn-in fly is overall a positive, one less thing to fiddle with, and once in a while nice to be able to roll up one or both sides to turn it into a bug shelter, where it is in turn pretty fast to re-convert to weatherproof tent should the weather change. At home it's not that much harder to get the whole thing completely dry even with the fly permanently attached; I hang it by the stake-out points upside down in my garage and that does the trick.

Really, I have nothing bad to say about this tent, it's my favorite. If you use it a lot, do be gentle with the zippers; I had to have the pulls replaced, but I've used this tent a great deal, many many nights in it. And if you do have any problem, Judy (owner) is very responsive and reasonable; she fixed my zipper problem for just the cost of shipping the tent.

Ah, one thought: you might consider a two-type-of-stakes solution. I now use a couple of 3-sided stakes, MSR Groundhog or similar, just for the two long ends. Really, those are the only load bearing stakes necessary to keep the structure standing. Lighter stakes of your choice are great IMO for staking out the fly. Sometimes I don't carry enough stakes to fully guy it out, figuring that when I need to I can find local sticks or rocks, and that just about always works for me, but a couple more or less of those ti shepard's stakes that you mentioned really don't weigh much either.

Best wishes for many, many wonderful nights in your new tent!

#193871 - 02/25/16 06:39 PM Re: Initial impressions of the Lightheart Duo [Re: BrianLe]
bluefish Offline

My wife is our shelter engineer, and she came to the same conclusion about carrying some heavier stakes. I'm more inclined to pile on rocks, being a little more Neanderthalish... Once again thanks for bringing Lightheart to our attention, Brian. We get about 50-60 bag nights a year in, on average, so it will see some good use, but nothing like you put on your gear. I expect we'll see a number of good years out of it. If it ever needs repair, I couldn't imagine a better company to take care of it. Judy Gross and staff are impressive in their service ethic.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum