Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193733 - 02/18/16 11:49 PM critique my gear please
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I went to UL because I have knee issues and a lot of weight makes my knees wobbily. I just got back into backpacking from just being a normal day hiker. In the last two months I have put together all my gear. I cut a few corners and added a few oz to save money. Most of my gear is REI brand. This is my base gear

My pack REI Flash 62 - 2lbs 13oz
Tent Dash 2 - 2lbs 7oz - Im 6'4 and needed a little room. got it for 200 dollars
Sleeping pad - Zlight Sol 14oz - switching to the Neoair
Xlite ( im a side sleeper
Sleeping bag - REI Flash 29 - 1lb 12oz
Total about 8 lbs with the other nicknacks (9 sawyer mini,alcohol stove, black diamond headlamp, cocoon blow up pillow, first aid etc, Helium 2 rain jacket) probably makes my pack just under 10 lbs. Im in Texas so I dont need any super warm clothing. A light base layer

This is my first UL setup.

Thats basically all I need to carry. I have a very muscular pitbull who carried all my food and her food in her pack for a 3 day trip. she can carry more.

#193737 - 02/19/16 02:19 AM Re: critique my gear please [Re: toddfw2003]
Johannes Offline

Loc: NE
You have a nice setup.
The secret to saving weight: Take notes...
In my experience, the best way to improve upon your setup is to get out there and use it. Every trip I take helps me discover flaws in my setup. I take notes and then do some brainstorming/research when I get home. I've gone from 13 lbs. to 6 lbs. in the last 2 years from doing this.

#193738 - 02/19/16 02:28 AM Re: critique my gear please [Re: toddfw2003]
Johannes Offline

Loc: NE
Also, here's a grab bag of tips:
Try and reduce your volume.
Get a smaller pack.
Try a lighter tent or use just the tent or just the fly.
Substitute the tent for a tarp or hammock.
KISS (keep it simple, stupid!)
In my opinion, inflatable pads like the neoair are comfortable, light, compact and a pain in the butt. Setup and take down is hard on the knees and time consuming. It WILL get punctured - only a matter of time. So, if you do go with one, always bring a patch kit.
Go for a sleeping quilt, rather than a bag.
Read books, forums, blogs, watch youtube, listen to podcasts... LEARN!

#193739 - 02/19/16 05:20 AM Re: critique my gear please [Re: Johannes]
bluefish Offline

Took me 40 years to get my gear where you are now. Best thing that's happened for my deteriorated knees has been
1. Trekking poles, especially on rugged, stepped downhills
2. Getting proper fitting shoes and boots and using insoles that actually support the foot.
3. Making effort to keep moving and put in road miles when not on the trail.
4. Diet- both for general health and weight loss
5. Occasional use of pain relievers. I carry them, use them only when it's bad and I'm far from a trailhead, but they've been a great thing when really needed.
You've picked some good gear. I've looked at all your base items at shelters and campsites (No REI near me) and they seem very functional and well designed. You've done your homework. I'm sure you'll do more refining, especially with food. Your trail weight shouldn't be over 20, even with food/water.
Enough for me, time to hit the road- I'm hitting the trail for 3 days. Thanks for sharing your list. Good choices without breaking the bank IMO.

#193740 - 02/19/16 08:03 AM Re: critique my gear please [Re: Johannes]
toddfw2003 Offline

Thanks for the input. I do see a lot of ways to lighten my load. I saw a lot of changes i could make. Im in texas so it isn't cold very long. In a couple months I can just use the Costco down throw which will save me a lb. I noticed I only use half my pack space. I wish I would have went with a smaller pack> Im not able to fast pitch my tent because of the rain fly configuration. I would need to get some rips stop and make a few mods. I would like to drop 3lbs this year.
As for my body weight, that isnt an issue. Im 6'4 200lbs

#193741 - 02/19/16 08:17 AM Re: critique my gear please [Re: bluefish]
toddfw2003 Offline

I need to figure out a setup because I walk with a dog and it seems hard carrying trekking poles. I watched a video of a guy using a lanyard and attaching it to his body but he had a not very strong dog.

Yeh, I get a little obsessed when I get into something new. I spent about 2 week of heavy research for each piece of equipment. Except for my bag. I was looking at a Rab neutrino 200, went to REI to get some Ideas and walked out with the Flash. The rab was a couple ounces lighter. I tried experimenting with food on the last trip. I bought stuff like annie mac and cheese with a packet of tuna. Seemed heavier than the mountain house

#193745 - 02/19/16 12:39 PM Re: critique my gear please [Re: toddfw2003]
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
the best way to learn is to get out there an do. I've got a pile of gear in the basement from that. 3 backpacks from external frame down to 2lb lightweight bag. multiple sleeping bags that have gone from over 4lbs to 19oz. that all takes time. do some hikes, figure out what works. if you don't use it, don't take it. oh and watch out for "stupid light" ie, not taking something you need to save weight!

john

#199681 - 12/03/17 07:39 PM Re: critique my gear please [Re: orclwzrd]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
You have good gear but I would go to a Therma Rest Z pad and trim off the bottom for mild conditions.

#199718 - 12/05/17 11:20 PM Re: critique my gear please [Re: EMT Dave]
toddfw2003 Offline

Lol thanks. That was a few years ago. I have a completely different setup now. That wasnt a UL setup like I thought it was then lmao.

Edited by toddfw2003 (12/05/17 11:23 PM)

#199722 - 12/06/17 11:12 AM Re: critique my gear please [Re: toddfw2003]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By toddfw2003
Lol thanks. That was a few years ago. I have a completely different setup now. That wasnt a UL setup like I thought it was then lmao.

I saw it was an old post.No, it was not ultralight although it looked good to me. It was probably lighter than I go now.
Go to a closed cell pad like the Z rest. I have a full length Thermarest pad that I have never used other than car camping and a 3/4 length pad which, while comfortable is still too heavy.
I'm not sure what else you could cut on this. I too use the Sawyer rather than a pump and about to phase in an alcohol stove.
Of course I am in New England where both bugs and bad weather should be expected.

Edited by EMT Dave (12/08/17 04:38 PM)

#199750 - 12/11/17 07:02 PM Re: critique my gear please [Re: EMT Dave]
toddfw2003 Offline

I use that tent still on occasion. There is no way I can use a foam pad. Im a side sleeper. The zlite is now my dogs sleep pad lol.

My entire base now is lighter than those 4 items. ha ha

Edited by toddfw2003 (12/11/17 07:02 PM)

#199751 - 12/11/17 07:29 PM Re: critique my gear please [Re: toddfw2003]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I agree that you have a nice set-up. I have come to something similar over many years. My go-to pack is the REI flash 50 unless I have to carry a bear container, then I need my larger pack. My Mt. Hardware sleeping shelter weighs 2 lbs and my 3 season sleeping bag also weighs 2 pounds. Wish I could get my pack weight down to 2 lbs, but can't find anything in my price range.
Always remember that every trip must be planned for and packed for differently depending on the time out, weather forecast, elevation gain, distances, terrain, team gear and such. Good luck. You are certainly on the right track with your gear.

#199789 - 12/13/17 06:49 PM Re: critique my gear please [Re: Jim M]
toddfw2003 Offline

Originally Posted By Jim M
I agree that you have a nice set-up. I have come to something similar over many years. My go-to pack is the REI flash 50 unless I have to carry a bear container, then I need my larger pack. My Mt. Hardware sleeping shelter weighs 2 lbs and my 3 season sleeping bag also weighs 2 pounds. Wish I could get my pack weight down to 2 lbs, but can't find anything in my price range.
Always remember that every trip must be planned for and packed for differently depending on the time out, weather forecast, elevation gain, distances, terrain, team gear and such. Good luck. You are certainly on the right track with your gear.

thats not the gear I use now. My big 4 now is a Exo 38, SMD Gatewood cape, Nemo tenslow pad or and xtherm and either and EE rev 20 or a Hammock gear burrow 0 quilt

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum