Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193603 - 02/11/16 10:55 AM Need advice on the Osprey Exos 58 Pack.
Motley Offline

Loc: TN
Hey there, I'm new here, excited to join your community.

I'm looking for some advice on the Osprey Exos 58 pack. I've done my research and it seems like a quality pack to me, but the one thing that I questioned was the fact that it didn't have a bottom access point or sleeping bag compartment.

I've never had a pack that didn't have a sleeping bag compartment, so I just wanted to ask some more experienced users how much of a nuisance this is, if at all? I would assume, since I keep my sleeping bag in a sack in the bottom of my pack, that I will have to remove most things from my pack whenever I want to get it? Is this usually a lot of trouble or is it not too big of a deal?

Right now I have the Osprey Atmos 65 AG, which does have a compartment for the sleeping bag, and it is very convenient. That being said, I'm looking for a lighter weight pack and the Atmos doesn't fit me well anyway.

Any advice or comments on the matter will be appreciated, thank you for your help!

#193606 - 02/11/16 11:33 AM Re: Need advice on the Osprey Exos 58 Pack. [Re: Motley]
bluefish Offline

I went for decades without a sleeping bag compartment and found it not too much of a bother. By the time I was ready to set up, almost everything had to exit the pack anyway, and it generally meant the bag came out last to complete my shelter. I recently purchased an Atmos 50, after the 65 felt like it was pulling me over backwards in the store. I disliked it, but love the 50. I was glad I gave it a second try. Might be psychological or the way I adjusted the 50, rather than a difference in the harness. . I've also talked to others that disliked the fit of the 65. The only time I felt the lack of a separate SB compartment was carrying a bear can. Sometimes, I'd want to access food before setting up, and would have to re-arrange the pack to do so. I learned to just take out food to eat on the trail in the morning and stash it an outside pocket or at the top. I bought the Atmos to haul water to dry camps and handle lots of weight with ease, not because it had the separate compartment. If the Exos fits you well, I think you'll adjust to it quickly. Welcome, and hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get recommendations for other packs besides the Exos, numbers of people here use packs from cottage mfg.s.

Edited by bluefish (02/11/16 11:50 AM)

#193607 - 02/11/16 01:38 PM Re: Need advice on the Osprey Exos 58 Pack. [Re: bluefish]
Motley Offline

Thanks so much for the reply! I think you are right, I will be able to get used to it. I know there are a lot of other packs for me to consider, but I basically have to buy one from REI, because I am going to exchange my other Osprey for the Exos using their one year return policy thing. I can't afford a second pack right now unfortunately, so my options are limited to what REI carries.

#193609 - 02/11/16 03:17 PM Re: Need advice on the Osprey Exos 58 Pack. [Re: Motley]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The separate bottom compartment is one of those things that gets quickly ditched when a pack maker slashes features to meet a weight goal while retaining strength. To work well they need a stout zipper and/or closure lock straps, plus rain flaps and of course there's a lot of extra fabric. All that comprises many ounces shed when it's deleted, plus the resulting plain compartment is stronger.

My only issue with a single large compartment is since my bag goes on the bottom, it delays packing unneeded items the evening before and even the next day if I'm drying out the bag before stuffing it. Panel-loaders can ease this a bit.

Last Exos I carried was really comfy, hopefully that's still the case.

Cheers,

#193617 - 02/11/16 06:14 PM Re: Need advice on the Osprey Exos 58 Pack. [Re: Rick_D]
Motley Offline

Thanks for the info! I assumed the pack lacked the bottom compartment for weight reasons. The only packs I've ever owned have been pretty big and bulky so I'm hoping I am pleasantly surprised by the impact the weight reduction has. I think I'll be picking up the Exos in the next couple days!

#193618 - 02/11/16 06:42 PM Re: Need advice on the Osprey Exos 58 Pack. [Re: Motley]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I mostly use the Exos 48, but have a 58 for bulkier loads (longer trips or winter.) I really, really like them both. As mentioned above, I have no problems with a single compartment - my tent, kitchen and pad live on top of the sleeping bag. When I hit camp, I set up the tent and pad, put the kitchen beside the tent, and pull out the bag, so it's a logical packing order. I never need the bag during the day, so there's no need to access it. Besides, as someone else mentioned, I view zippers as potential weak points.

I tried an Atmos 50, but found it too heavy and overbuilt for the lightweight loads I carry (16-18 pounds, including food and a liter of water, for a weekend.) I replaced it with Exos 48, and couldn't be happier with my choice.

I find the Exos packs have just enough outside pockets to hold everything I need during the day, and no gimmicky features I don't need (except for a hydration sleeve and the goofy little stow-on-the-go loops. Unlike Nolte and Redford, I use my poles for walking, not pack decoration. smile )

Edited by Glenn Roberts (02/11/16 06:45 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum