Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193054 - 01/05/16 11:08 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
more people have been killed in the name of God/Jehovah/Allah than for any other reason

Sometimes the reason is based in religious zeal, but almost as often the real motive is greed, pride or anger and God is just used to provide a cover story.

#193069 - 01/06/16 10:17 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
The Nazis? Stalin's purge? Stalin's forced famine? Pol Pot? WWI? WWII?
Rwanda? (the list is actually much longer) All just in the 20th century and nothing to do with religion.
I've heard your statement thrown around many times and it just ain't so. Money, power, greed, political ideology, tribalism, race, land, water, food....long list of why people kill people. Religion is sometimes used as a motivator, but the cause is human nature. You can make a case for science killing millions as well. It's still the humans behind the science.

#193110 - 01/10/16 12:26 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Dryer]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Back to the original question, we need to convert, with all the religious fervor of a Jehovah's Witness, as many non-hiking heathens as we can find to our cause. Strength in numbers is how we can preserve the wilderness areas where we hike, no matter how "crowded" we perceive the trails become. Urban encroachment, non-wilderness uses (such as OHVs, dirt bikes, even mountain bikes) can lessen our hiking experience, invade our turf or even take it away from us.

I recently watched the documentary, "Mile...Mile and a Half," (available on Netflix) about five 30-Somethings who did the JMT. They were fairly novice backpackers (one who bailed on Day Three.) They all had some artistic expertise to record their journey. It's beautiful and humorous -- and fun to watch. No doubt their video journal will get many more hiker-wannabees out on the trail. And many of those viewers will give it a try, some to become avid hikers and some to do it only once before eventually putting the gear on craigs list. But I bet most of them vote pro-hiking or at least "green" for the rest of their lives.

Give me some pamphlets and send me out door-to-door!

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#193111 - 01/10/16 09:18 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: kevonionia]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I see what you did there, Kevon. :-) You are right. I still manage a nature preserve and evangelize to everyone who hikes and bikes it about their ownership of the place. Their faces light up and interestingly, I have to pick up less trash! And nobody dies. LOL

#193452 - 02/03/16 05:06 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: billstephenson]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By billstephenson
That's a fair observation. I didn't know the Jehovahs had a limit, so that news to me, but I have a buddy who's a "Witness" so I'll have to ask him now too wink

I onced asked a JW "if there is a limit, and it has been reached, why do you want to still be part of it?" His reply is that the 144000 go to heaven, and the rest live on Earth with Jesus after it is transformed. So, whether or not I agree with their assessment, they still have a plan for "everyone else" that isn't "you are all going to hell". I am not JW so take that for what it is worth.

Anyways, I think we should still preach the good news of get out there and hike! The more people at least try it out, the more advocates for keeping it available for us that use it more. Plus, you can easily escape the crowds by selecting different locations. One week I did a loop to summit the highest point in Utah. Half the loop was very used, the other half was completely empty. Many times a detour off the main trail is all that is needed for solitude.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum