Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191680 - 08/21/15 09:08 AM Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
DISCLAIMER: I am an equal opportunity offender, meaning I like to poke fun at everyone and everything including myself, my religion, my heritage, my parents, my wife and kids and especially my mother in law! By continuing to read this, you agree to not be offended and take it for what it's worth, an opinionated observation.

So I find it more than slightly humorous that I can draw a direct comparison between hikers (and any other outdoor activity that draws avid interest) and one of the standard tenets within the belief structure of Jehovah's Witness. A good friend of mine is a Witness and I have had this discussion with him, and he chuckled so I feel as though I have permission. If I don't, tough, I'm gonna say it anyway...

So my question to him (tongue in cheek) was that if he truly believes that when the world ends, there is enough room for 144,000 souls in heaven, why would he and his Witness brothers and sisters go door to door trying to advertise? If that were me, I'd be trying to keep it a secret, ensuring my seat on the proverbial bus. Laugh Out Loud...

Well the same can be said for some hikers. I'd be curious to speak with someone that will encourage other people to get out there on the trail and start hiking (noble cause to which I completely agree) and in almost the same breath complain that the trails are overcrowded and cannot find solace in the wilderness because of all the people in it. (While typing this post, I realized I am one of them!)

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes...and I'm spent.

#191682 - 08/21/15 11:59 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: dylansdad77]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
That's a fair observation. I didn't know the Jehovahs had a limit, so that news to me, but I have a buddy who's a "Witness" so I'll have to ask him now too wink

I do see your point, and to that point I'll say that Ozarkers can be pretty stingy about telling you where their favorite spots are located. Friends post photos of themselves at swimming holes on FB and often others will ask where they are. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone answer that question.

Personally, I don't feel any guilt or apprehensions at all about encouraging others to "Get out on the trails" since I mostly bushwhack grin

"You want to go where?"

#191683 - 08/21/15 12:02 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: dylansdad77]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Out here in the wild and wooly western states, there are plenty of uncrowded places to hike, so complaining about the crowds on the trails just means you haven't figured this out, yet. Of course, the overly populated trails are usually crowded for a good reason - because they are both easily accessible and spectacular. As soon as you understand the psychology of the people flocking to those spots, you can easily calibrate how much company you'll get on a given trail, based on a bit of adroit map reading and a guide book or two.

#191685 - 08/21/15 03:59 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: dylansdad77]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
The 144K souls comes from Revelation 14, the JW's interpretation.

#191692 - 08/21/15 09:11 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Dryer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Most Biblical scholars consider the 144,000 to be a symbolic number--the 12 tribes (Old Testament) times the 12 apostles (New Testament) times 1,000, the number of perfection. There is lots of numerical symbolism in Revelation.

#191694 - 08/22/15 05:37 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: OregonMouse]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Am I the only one who tells people of sidewalk trails in town and not the ones in the woods I really like?

#191695 - 08/22/15 06:12 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: PerryMK]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By PerryMK
Am I the only one who tells people of sidewalk trails in town and not the ones in the woods I really like?

I tell people there are homeless camps along the sidewalk trails and it's better not to walk there.

The trails in this part of Colorado are old trails that haven't changed since the 20's when they were made. They didn't know much about switchbacks back then. They often built outhouses next to streams, so watch out for the water.

It's dangerous to go in the prairie as there are rattlesnakes. If they don't get you the mosquitoes will give you West Nile virus. We have had the plague in this area thought to come from fleas on the prairie dogs.

Edited by Gershon (08/22/15 06:13 AM)

#191899 - 09/16/15 11:57 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Gershon]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
If the Jews are the chosen people, what chance do the rest of us have? smile
I've been in very popular areas, just a lake or mile or two away, nobody around. Have not seen anyone for four days before, then within an hour of hitting the JMT again, over 20 people. I'll be that 20 in a few more years when I attempt the JMT.
Duane

#191901 - 09/17/15 10:52 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: hikerduane]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Uhm........what?

#192906 - 12/17/15 06:40 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: dylansdad77]
AMZSow Offline

not trying to troll anyone man but seriously why anyone still believe in JW? I mean, they literally changed the Bible. if anyone believe in christianity, that's fine, but at least follow the Bible. JW has their own version of Bible. I dont understand why christians say it's God's words if they change it over and over again.

#192908 - 12/17/15 09:07 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: AMZSow]
Dryer Offline

First, "christians" should be capitalized. "Christians"
Just like "Jews", "Muslims", "Buddhists".
The canonization or "change" as you put it, was a work of mostly translation, and the deciding of what scripture would be included.
Some religions felt they had to add to it on their own, for whatever reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon

#192913 - 12/17/15 02:03 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: AMZSow]

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

--United States Constitution, Amendment 1
[emphasis mine]

Edited by OregonMouse (12/17/15 02:11 PM)

#192915 - 12/17/15 03:23 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: OregonMouse]
Dryer Offline

Point?

#192917 - 12/17/15 05:51 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Dryer]

Reply to MZSow's criticism. At least in the US, JWs or any other folks whose faith we consider "oddball" have as much a right to their beliefs and the free exercise of their religion as anyone else.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/17/15 05:54 PM)

#192918 - 12/17/15 10:29 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: OregonMouse]
Dryer Offline

Oh, exactly! grin
90% of America has no idea what that amendment means with regard to church/state. You can believe as you wish, and the government can't interfere or sponsor a faith.

#192926 - 12/19/15 01:35 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Dryer]
billstephenson Offline

It was Elizabeth Dole who repeated "The Constitution guarantees freedom of religion, not freedom from religion."

I am still amazed that a US Senator would believe that.

"You want to go where?"

#192934 - 12/20/15 05:24 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Have you been listening to what He Who Fancies Himself A Presidentail Candidate has been saying? Senator Dole is a flaming liberal and intellectual giant by comparison. smile

One fine point often missed is that the amendment does not prohibit a legislator from following their Christian (or Jewish, or even Islamic) beliefs when deciding whether to support or oppose a piece of legislation. It does not even prohibit them from sponsoring legislation that is influenced by their religious beliefs - it simply prohibits them from imposing their beliefs on others who believe differently, or establishing their personal denomination in power over other religions.

For example, much of the social legislation of the 20th century had, as an underlying assumption, that our collective society had a moral obligation to help those less fortunate, and to provide collectively for a secure retirement (I.e., Social Security.) However, it did not limit the benefits of that program only to those wiho professed those same Judeo-Christian beliefs.

The Kentucky county official who refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples clearly overstepped her bounds. She was certainly entitled to believe that such marriages are immoral; she is not required to socialize with such people. But she is not allowed to base her official acts on her bigotry. If she feels so profoundly about this issue, her option was to resign, not to change the law to fit her personal beliefs.

Another thing most people forget is that most privileges and liberties also come with responsibilities - including the responsibility to give every other citizen the same privileges they claim for themselves. (Pesky Constitution!)

Edited by Glenn Roberts (12/20/15 11:42 PM)

#192935 - 12/20/15 11:38 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: dylansdad77]

Oddly enough, I've found that (at least in Ohio), telling others about trails and getting them out on those trails has had the consequence of: more trails!

When I started backpacking in the early 80s, I had to drive three hours to Kentucky to get to any backpacking trails. Then I discovered there were one or two places, three hours away in southeastern Ohio, where you could backpack for a night.

I always told people about the places I went, and started going to southeast Ohio more frequently. I took people with me on beginner trips, and then started "simulating" trips closer to home, in the off seasons at local state parks.

And now, 30+ years later, there are two 35 mile backpacking trails within 15 miles of my front door - and they both see a lot of use. We've even got the Metropark system putting on events for backpackers (including beginner overnights and presentations by people like the executive director of the Appalachian Trail Conference, as well as local backpackers. They're also starting to study the feasibility of connector trails from the backpacking trail to other MetroParks with trail systems - and the backcountry sites on the existing trails are booked pretty full most weekends.

At least around here, the more people I can get out on the trails, the more trails there will be for me. I kind of like how that's worked out!

#192950 - 12/22/15 12:33 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Glenn Roberts]
packlite Offline

Admin

Loc: Pullman, WA, USA
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts

At least around here, the more people I can get out on the trails, the more trails there will be for me. I kind of like how that's worked out!

Interesting perspective, Glenn. I like your attitude.

Even though many of the trails in the Pacific Northwest are often overcrowded, I also eagerly introduce friends and family to those trails - usually during the week if possible. There's a reason those trails are so popular.

At the same time, I find myself mumbling about the overcrowdedness and most of the time seek out other backcountry venues for my own satisfaction - usu via offtrail access.

Of course most of us have heard the oxymoronic statement "No one goes to that place anymore-it's always too crowded." I've probably said that without realizing it lol

#192951 - 12/22/15 12:53 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Glenn Roberts]
billstephenson Offline

"Have you been listening to what He Who Fancies Himself A Presidentail Candidate has been saying? Senator Dole is a flaming liberal and intellectual giant by comparison."

grin

Yeah, I listen to them all. Anyone who thinks "The Don" wouldn't bite them in the butt has only to wait to find out they were wrong. He's always been solely about himself.

This campaign cycle is a mess on both sides. The Dems really didn't even try to offer us a choice. Bernie's not really a party Democrat and he's being treated as an insurgent by the DNC, and O'Malley is a decent guy but he seems to be acting the part when I hear him speak. He's there for Hillary. His job is to take a few pulled punches from Hillary and support her when the time comes.

Everyone but Trump on the GOP side is a shameless lackey and Trump is a shameless collector of lackeys, and among them is Hillary. That was clearly demonstrated in the first GOP debate when several of the other candidates asked him for money and he explained how Hillary paid him back for the money he sent her way.

The money fueling the machines behind the parties has never been so obvious or blatantly in our faces. We can see that in how Dems treat Bernie and the GOP treats Trump. They both want them gone and are taking desperate leaps to make that happen.

I like Bernie because he's clearly not a lackey, but I wish he'd update his message by reaching out more to both Democrats and Republicans and move away from his "We need a revolution" and speak more plainly about the values and objectives he wants to focus on and how they are drawn from the best in the American way of life and nation.

I'm neither a Republican or a Democrat, but I am obviously a wonk, which may be worse. crazy

"You want to go where?"

#192964 - 12/24/15 10:12 AM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Glenn Roberts]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
One fine point often missed is that the amendment does not prohibit a legislator from following their Christian (or Jewish, or even Islamic) beliefs when deciding whether to support or oppose a piece of legislation. It does not even prohibit them from sponsoring legislation that is influenced by their religious beliefs - it simply prohibits them from imposing their beliefs on others who believe differently, or establishing their personal denomination in power over other religions.

The Kentucky county official who refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples clearly overstepped her bounds. She was certainly entitled to believe that such marriages are immoral; she is not required to socialize with such people. But she is not allowed to base her official acts on her bigotry. If she feels so profoundly about this issue, her option was to resign, not to change the law to fit her personal beliefs.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction. Agreed that the Kentucky county official overstepped her bounds. She allowed her personal beliefs to impact her official duties. How is the President not held to the same standard? How is sponsoring legislation influenced by their own religious beliefs not a perfect example of imposing their beliefs on others?

#192968 - 12/24/15 04:31 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: dylansdad77]

The distinction I was trying to make was this: let's assume we're voting on a piece of proposed legislation (say, Medicare, in the 70s.) My fundamental Christian beliefs guide my vote, in the sense that I believe that we have an obligation to love one another; I decide to vote yes. But, when I propose an amendment that says that Medicare benefits are only available to those of my own denomination, because I believe mine is the true faith, I have crossed the line between separation of church and state.

The current debate over abortion is actually a manifestation of proper influence of personal belief without imposing a state religion. (For what it's worth, I'm pro-choice.) Those saying that the federal government should not fund abortion are informed by their own beliefs (at least their morals, perhaps also their religion); so are those who argue that the government should fund it. However, were they to say that only the Methodist church could determine who should and shouldn't be allowed access to abortion - the line is crossed.

I don't know if that helps or not. I was merely trying to say that all of us are influenced by our moral/religious beliefs in our decisions (from whether or not to attend church, to what charity we contribute to, to the ethical decisions we make in business) - but when we try to use political power to favor one religious group over another, we've crossed the Constitutional line.

Or, maybe: we can each follow our own moral compass; but I can't force you to use mine - and vice versa.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (12/26/15 01:21 PM)

#192971 - 12/24/15 10:21 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Glenn Roberts]
billstephenson Offline

Great post Glenn.

It describes perfectly how I think about this too. This, to me, is what being "American" is.

"You want to go where?"

#193022 - 01/04/16 12:05 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I would add that if your denomination/religion/group teaches you to only care for people who believe/look/act like you, you seriously need to examine your belief system!

#193052 - 01/05/16 08:40 PM Re: Hikers versus Jehovah's Witness [Re: 4evrplan]

I would fully agree with that. One of the major takeaways from earning my history degree was that more people have been killed in the name of God/Jehovah/Allah than for any other reason. Not sure that's fully relevant, but it kind of feels related to your point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum